HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2014, 11:53 PM
Nampa,ID
Joined Aug 2001
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
Thanks LD. It's an enjoyable model to fly and slows down nice for landing.
CG and throws were set per the manual and I'm running 35% expo all around. (JR 9303 if the radio makes a difference) I'm not sure if it's the forward most or rear most of the recommended range since with only 5mm between the two and fat fingers doing the balancing... I marked both and it's was somewhere around the middle of the two.
My batteries are 6s Zippy Flightmax 5000 ma 40c packs (same ones I fly in the Stinger) and set my timer for 3 minutes. When it goes off I drop the gear for an inspection pass then land on the next round. That way I land with the packs pretty close to storage voltage and it doesn't take the charger long to finish the job after I get home.
As a side note, these packs will not fit in the fuselage in an upright position but laying on their side they are about perfect.
Thanks, I appreciate the info.
Laserdude is offline Find More Posts by Laserdude
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2014, 07:18 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserdude View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the info.
Very welcome dude. I forgot to mention I was flying on high rate settings and the thrust vectoring on this one has been permanently disabled.
I did a mini build thread on mine in my blog. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2227469
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 23, 2014, 07:28 AM
Nampa,ID
Joined Aug 2001
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
Very welcome dude. I forgot to mention I was flying on high rate settings and the thrust vectoring on this one has been permanently disabled.
I did a mini build thread on mine in my blog. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2227469
Thanks again. I agree with you on the thrust vectoring. I too wish they had left it out and put in rudders. Your build blog answered another question about the nozzles. It sounds like lining them up with the reference marks is where they should be.

Your landings look great. Were you using flaps? If so how much did they affect the trim?
Laserdude is offline Find More Posts by Laserdude
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:35 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,174 Posts
I might not have gotten the alignment totally correct on mine. The manual calls for the flying stab leading edge to be 5 mm below the fuselage seam line so that's where I put it. I wound up with about 8 clicks of down trim to stop it from climbing and mine is more like 3 mm below now. Once trimmed it didn't seem to make any difference in attitude with full or partial power though.

I do use flaps while landing. I usually deploy 1/2 flap on the downwind leg then go to full on the final approach. I used the servo speed adjustment feature of the 9303 and have the speed turned down to about 1.5 seconds on the flap servos. No noticeable pitch up or down with them deployed.

I really like the thrust to weight ratio on this model. In the video, (around 1:50 in) the long slow climb into a split S was done around 1/2 throttle.
bill34207 is offline Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:16 PM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,265 Posts
I am really enjoying the Freewing F-86, and I think I am about to pull the trigger on the F-18......it's too bad there are no rudders. as the videos really sold me on the F-18

Im not into all the stunts that TV will allow, but I would like to mix in yaw to help replace the rudder....or is that a waste of time ??
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:44 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,205 Posts
Quote:
it's too bad there are no rudders
Although I don't have this particular F-18, I can't see why you couldn't put some in!! This one figures 1/12.21 scale and mine is 1/10.4 scale, (L = 65" vs L = 55") my vert-stabs are 3/4" thick --easy enougth to put in Hitec HS -82 mg's -- only .5" thick..
If your comfortable enought to start "hacking " into a new kit!!..

Just find the rigth sized servos, and your good to go. A few hrs and it's all done..
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:00 PM
USA, VA, Newport News
Joined Jan 2010
1,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
I
Im not into all the stunts that TV will allow, but I would like to mix in yaw to help replace the rudder....or is that a waste of time ??
The yaw is in the TV nozzle...you dont need rudders. I can harrier this jet 2 feet off the ground and steer it with the yaw from the TV. Rudders would not give me anything I don't allready have.
Cabledawg1 is online now Find More Posts by Cabledawg1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Shipped Super Viper today
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICobra View Post
I am really enjoying the Freewing F-86, and I think I am about to pull the trigger on the F-18......it's too bad there are no rudders. as the videos really sold me on the F-18

I have rudders on mine and I like the extra authority on landings at lower speeds, especially in crosswinds. I never use them for aerobatics. The TV is enough for that.
19000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 19000rpm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:15 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,265 Posts
I just bought one......can't wait...
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade