Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 20, 2009, 04:13 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
Discussion
doesn't turn left - torque roll?

I have an 85 gram plane with 5 gram motor that turns right fine, but left turns it just rolls. is this torque roll? how do I get it to make left turns?

rudder elevator only.

Thanks!
paulatgis is offline Find More Posts by paulatgis
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2009, 04:27 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Nope, not torque. Ya must have something else muffed up, cause torque tends to turn plane left, not right.
Check all surfaces, and ensure that all are neutral with sticks neutral. If thats fine, look for wing warpage, or tail feathers out of kilter.

Oops, misread your post, didnt see that you said it rolls left but no turn. Well yes, torque does want to roll the plane left, but under normal circumstances and all this should only be present on liftoff and a momment after should go away. But still check all surfaces anyway, and wing to tail alignment.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Nov 20, 2009, 04:51 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
my right wing does have a greater wing incidence than my left. maybe i glued them together offset. ill twist them equal with an iron. thanks!
paulatgis is offline Find More Posts by paulatgis
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:45 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,241 Posts
Check for flex in the tail. I had a problem with a plane once that gave this result. When I turned one way, all was fine, but when I went the other way, the tail would flex and offset the rudder effect. That was a V tail, but you could be having a similar problem. It did not show up on the ground, only in the air.

I flew the plane away from me and turned to the bad side and saw the tail flex. Found it by accident.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr