89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,134 Posts
Question
NESail Vari EZ

Anyone have any experience with this?

Here

I have always thought that this was an interesting design, just looking for any experienced opinions.

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2003, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by Dereck
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
One of these hung out at a farm airstrip a couple of miles from an airfield I was stationed at in my RAF days. He'd take it up and strafe his own runway sometimes - these are very fast aircraft !

As the full sized is 'glass skinned, the construction methods used in the model well replicate the full size for once. If you want to pick nits - I believe that the full sized aircraft features a retractable nosewheel with fixed maingear.

Yes, it looks awkward in flight, with dangly mains and no noseleg ... They are often parked on the ground like that too!

Not sure about the stripy decal job shown in your link - mostly they struck me as white with reg. numbers in black. Still, Bob Banka surely has some photo-packs on the type, and it wouldn't be too much work to fit some decent looking cockpit detail and end up with a good looking and scale-like model.

Would suggest going with NESP's suggested BL ten cell - this wouldn't be exciting, or maybe it would be too exciting for all the wrong reasons - on 8 cells and a ferrite.

If I was into cheque book modelling, this one could get me really excited. Even have the ten cell rig ... Come to think of it, if I wasn't too busy, I could even overcome a lifetime's well considered predujice over built almost ready to fly models for something like this.

Interesting canard thought, culled from a recent RCMW (English RC mag). Canards can fly with a flat plate front airfoil, but this will tend to stall very early and abruptly. A canard needs an airfoil up front that stalls gently and before, but not too much before, the mainplane.

Don't even think about the consequences of stalling the rear wing first
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by Bomberguy
Turrets Syndrome?
Marina Del Rey California
Joined Dec 2003
1,543 Posts
NES just had these on sale for 129 and I ordered one. Looks like a fun kit. I'll start a thread when I get it so you can see what the kit looks like. I have an AXI 2820/12 I plan to put on it, power will be with a 5S4P (18.5V).
Bomberguy is offline Find More Posts by Bomberguy
Old Jan 01, 2004, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
Very interesting aircraft, I got a few pictures of the Vari EZ. I have never seen any one with stickers like the EZ at NSP. Have only seen total wite and a total yellow.

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
www.flyingmodels.org
The Great Electric Motor Test
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Jan 01, 2004, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Stockholm, Sweden
Joined Jul 2002
1,249 Posts
And here is the yellow one:

// Fredrik Wergeland
Sweden
www.flyingmodels.org
The Great Electric Motor Test
Fredrik W is offline Find More Posts by Fredrik W
Old Jan 01, 2004, 09:53 AM
Turrets Syndrome?
Joined Dec 2003
1,543 Posts
I hate the graphics in the NES model photo. I found this picture that may be the same model It looks a lot cleaner. If anyone has full scale photos of a Vari-Eze with a cool paint scheme please share it. Also, I could use some cockpit photos.

Can't wait to get this thing!

Ed
Old Jan 01, 2004, 09:58 AM
Turrets Syndrome?
Joined Dec 2003
1,543 Posts
BTW - Fredrik, I checked out your site, Fantastic! Thanks so much for posting the motor test data. Based on what was in there, this Vari-Eze should have outstanding performance with the AXI 2820/12 I have. Wish me luck

Ed
Old Jan 01, 2004, 05:49 PM
Find More Posts by Dereck
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
http://www.bobsairdoc.com/fotopaaks.htm

Go to page 116 on the photopaak listing - there's 2 white w/trim and a silver w/trim Vari-eze listed, with interior detail on two. One includes baggage pods, UC gear and interior detail for $21.00

At that sale price, I could nearly get interested in BARFing. Ten minutes with a sharp knife and it could be ready to turn into that yellow one ...

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 01, 2004, 06:10 PM
Find More Posts by Merlin_FAC
Cleared Hot!
Melbourne, FL
Joined Feb 2001
501 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I beleive that the first white one (LN-USA) is actually a Cozy, which is a 4-place design (though pretty similar in layout.)

There's a guy doing aerobatics on the airshow circuit here in the USA in either a Long-EZ or a Vari-EZ. He only does positive-G maneuvers - rolls, loops, Cuban-8s, etc. Pretty neat to see... a bit disconcerting, though!
Merlin_FAC is offline Find More Posts by Merlin_FAC
Old Jan 01, 2004, 06:47 PM
Find More Posts by Thomas B
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,890 Posts
Actually, not counting the Cozy photos of the white canard, there is not a single Varieze photo on this thread, until now....)

Below is a pic of a real Varieze. Note the Whitcomb winglets with the small lower forward 'horn" at the front of the wingtip.

This is a good visual signature of a true Varieze. The yellow one, and the model, for that matter, have the different wingtips of the Longeze, which is the slightly larger version of the Varieze that Rutan designed for people that wanted to use a larger engine and get a bit more performance.

Note how much larger the forward wing strakes are on the Longeze vs the Varieze. I believe this is where some of the extra fuel goes, plus some elbow room and storage to boot.

A Varieze did best on 100-125 HP powerplants and it got kinda heavy if you went larger. Plus it did not have the fuel capacity that it needed with the bigger engines. The Longeze fixed those problems and allowed the use of 150-180 hp powerplants, withe O-320 being used often.

Here is a real Varieze:
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 01, 2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2004, 06:47 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,890 Posts
And Longeze:

Note the larger and different wingtip verticals, plus the larger wing strakes.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 01, 2004 at 08:13 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2004, 07:41 PM
Turrets Syndrome?
Joined Dec 2003
1,543 Posts
This is one of the better photos I ran across
Old Jan 01, 2004, 07:45 PM
Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Trampling out the vintage
Joined Feb 2002
1,893 Posts
Very interesting aircraft. However given Dereck's dig at checkbook modeling I would feel bad about getting it

It looks like the nose gear is a retract on the full size?
4 Scale is offline Find More Posts by 4 Scale
Old Jan 01, 2004, 08:12 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Joined Jun 2000
14,890 Posts
Correct. Rutan chose to retract the nose gear unit only as a compromise between improving drag and keeping things simple. Also, it makes it much easier to get into the aircraft with the nose on the ground. Otherwise, you need a stepladder.

Plus, the aircraft is very safe tied down, or even just sitting on the ground with the nose down and into the wind. It is not going to blow away...

Don't mind Dereck. He just gets a little militant about his pet anti-BARF causes, even though there are lots of ways to enjoy model aviation without choosing the path that he personally blesses....
Just ignore him and buy and/or build what you want...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jan 01, 2004 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2004, 08:20 PM
Turrets Syndrome?
Joined Dec 2003
1,543 Posts
Yea, the model looks more like a Long-Eze Tom. I'll tint the canopy and put some clean stripes on it. Should be a fun ship.

I used a credit card BTW

Ed