New Products Flash Sale
Old May 02, 2015, 10:54 AM
Find More Posts by webbsolution
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Joined Jul 2007
3,277 Posts
Help!
Hitec x4 80 (DC) - will not detect peak voltage

Has anyone else who owns a hitec x4 80 run into this issue?

I am charging 2s lipo (7.4 volts) 2200 mah TX batteries.

Usually the charger will stop at the peak detected voltage, which is automatically set on this unit for this battery type - the user cant even see that menu. User can set max charge time or max MAH input, amperage and relevant factors like (balance - store, fash ch, disch)

these are TX batteries that typically use about 800-1000 mah before they are charged - charge time used to take 20 mins @1.5 amp with a winch battery as a power supply.

Values I have setup -

Charge rate - (usually 1.5 amps)

max charge time - 120 mins -

Max mah input 1800 MAH -

There are two ways to charge lipos - the default lipo menu and a custom user load menu for whatever battery type you setup - ive tried both for type Lipo 7.4v - the results are the same -

The unit will charge indefinitely and while the voltage decreases to .1 amp and flickers between .10 and .00 it never shuts off until one of the other metrics are met (usually max charge time) -

I noticed this with my old Lipo - 3 years old s- I replaced it with 3 2200 units - they are behaving the same way.

3.7 volt lipo menus work as expected - when I charge the DLG's which all have lipos the unit beeps off as full after reaching what looks like max voltage levels for those cells.

I like this charger - i dont want to toss it - has anyone with this unit run into similar issues?

edit - the 7.4 volt batteries are not getting past 8.38-8.39v either and usually 7.4 lipos peak to 8.5 (then settle)
webbsolution is online now Find More Posts by webbsolution
to remove ads between posts
Old May 02, 2015, 11:40 AM
Find More Posts by satinet
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,611 Posts
I don't know a solution, but should point out that lipo batteries are not charged by "peak detect". They are charged by what is known as constant current / constant voltage. Info here: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries.

The problem with charging lithium batteries on the non fast setting is that it takes quite a long time. The inital charge rate (e.g your 1.5amp/hr) isn't what is being sent to the battery once it gets to the constant voltage stage (on your charger you will see the amps reduce over time). So in way the charge rate you set doesn't make as much difference to how long it takes compared to nickel batteries.

You are confusing your terms in your post. Voltage isn't the same as amps, the are two quite different things. What you will see on a lipo charge is that the bulk of the charging (in terms of mah put in the battery) is done at the 1.5amps you select (i.e constant current (amps)) until the point where it changes to constant voltage and the voltage remains constant (should be 8.4v) and the current reduces (eventually to <0.1amp).

I,e the nearer the end you get the slower it gets. That's why chargers now have a fast setting, which is useful for flight packs on electric models, especially (normal charge takes ages to finish)

In practical terms you might as well end the charge at the point you are seeing less than 0.1 amp on the screen as you are putting very little in to the battery at this point. Maybe you charger just has a very long charge cycle where the current goes very very low, although 3 hours is way longer than anything i've experienced on a lipo. My lithium rx batteries take quite a long time to charge as well (not 3 hours).

I don't know why you are not reaching 8.4v on your charger. I have seen it before on my chargers but I am not expert enough to know the reason, I'm afraid. Anyway, like I say your 1.5amp charge rate doesn't really effect the lenght of the charge as much as you think.

You could try the fast charge setting. You don't need every last mah in the battery for a TX.
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Last edited by satinet; May 02, 2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old May 03, 2015, 09:10 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,611 Posts
Does the charger have an internal resistance test by the way?
Old May 03, 2015, 10:22 AM
Joined Jul 2007
3,277 Posts
Thank you for the posts on this - it seems like the charger is performing exactly as it should based on your description of constant voltage its just slower now.

it doesnt have named routine where you can run a battery through and obtain a metric for internal resistance aside from its initial battery check which I assume was for basics (polarity, initial voltage range and cel count) - but in the applicable nicad and NMH menus you can set the MV cell detection levels - which again is only voltage detection as an indication of charge state - correct ?

The charger is taking basically 3x longer to do everything now - DLG's single cells take 38-40 Mins (tested yesterday after a day of F3K training) it used to take 10-13 minutes to recharge a model. I know this for sure because I could fly a model for several rounds and it would come back between rounds which are 10 mins with a few mins prep time. It's not building faith in this charger.
Old May 03, 2015, 02:03 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,277 Posts
yea this thing has been at 0.00 volts for 2 hours and basically stopped adding MAH at constant voltage of 8.38 - its only 24 months old -

Took 30 minutes to put 200 MAH into a 3.7 volt cell - I think the charger is at best a shop charger now and no longer something I can trust - for lipos
Old May 05, 2015, 02:52 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,611 Posts
I presume there is no setting for lipo sensitivity?
Old May 05, 2015, 05:15 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3,277 Posts
No and I contacted Hitec - they indicated I should send it in for service - looks like its broken - i ordered a new charger while this one goes away - (contest this weekend!)
Old May 05, 2015, 07:20 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
8,127 Posts
some packs for some reason don't "finish" their charge . when the current gets down to .1 and stays there for more than a few minutes , its done , just hit stop on the charger, once a lipos charge current starts tapering down , its 95% or more charged , very little is put back in from then on .
if the packs are in good shape (balance wise) try charging on the charge function not balance charge function , they will finish much quicker that way .
I charge my heli packs 10s and 12s the first charge of the day via balance mode , then the rest of the day charge mode , works fine , ir of cells is still around 4 - 5 on 2 1/2 yr old packs , charged at a little over 2c ....
just checked the data log on the castle speed control , seeing peak watts a little over 6000 watts on my 12s setup ....
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old May 06, 2015, 04:44 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,611 Posts
Yes i agree. Once you are at 0.1amp or below very little is happening.

Hopefully Hitec can sort it out.
Old May 12, 2015, 05:00 PM
Find More Posts by timmig
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
7,157 Posts
Hitec service is GREAT!! You should have it back in no time--and probably N/C as well! I've had one of these for a year now--works flawlessly on all kinds of batteries!
timmig is online now Find More Posts by timmig