oscarmok is offline Find More Posts by oscarmok
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by mutski
mutski
United States, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,324 Posts
My new RocHobby Waco came in the mail. First thing I did was paint a black sunburst over the yellow wings, like a Pitts. That was a disaster - I was afraid to use a clear coat first because dry paint on tape seems to peel the original yellow. Alas the black bled all over under the masking tape. I cleaned it up as well as I could with ethanol, but the yellow was badly stained. The good news is our local hardware store made a good match for the original yellow. I'm on the third coat and the black is almost gone. I hope to start building tomorrow. My next attempt at contrast between top and bottom with be with decals!
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM
Find More Posts by slam555
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
946 Posts
question

if you clear coat between colors there's less of a chance, for bleed or paint peel?
slam555 is online now Find More Posts by slam555
Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,117 Posts
Another trick is to put clearcoat along the edge of the tape before the colour. It will seal the edge and any bleeding under the edge will be clearcoat, and not show.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
477 Posts
Using genuine Frog brand tape, and always keeping it in its plastic container usually works to prevent bleeding.

If you keep your masking tape loose in the shop, dust is certain to get on the edges of the tape and creep onto the adhesive. This is guaranteed to cause bleed.

I have one roll of masking tape for odds and ends - making depth gages on drill bits, putting markers on work - and a roll of Frog tape in its secure plastic container for painting.

And no, I don't get a commission.
SlowJeff is online now Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
Find More Posts by mutski
mutski
United States, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,324 Posts
I'd have tried clear coat except that when I tested the paint and tape, the tape peeled the underlying yellow paint if I let the black paint dry. Does it work to paint clear along the edge of the tape and then black before the clear coat dries? I also thought the FrogTape might be more likely to pull off the yellow than the blue painter's tape I used. At any rate, i'm REALLY reluctant to try again having just fixed the first fiasco. The new acrylic yellow looks good, but I don't want to try another four coats if a second try at the black paint fails. The yellow plane looks great, I just wanted a way to tell right-side-up from upside-down.

Does anyone know of some good black adhesive paper I can use to cut parts for my sunburst? I might just order a set of Waco decals and put the N number on a wing.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Last edited by mutski; Yesterday at 10:20 PM.
Old Today, 12:41 AM
Find More Posts by FLTRI
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
1,415 Posts
Go back to page 91, and see the pic of my Staggerwing. I painted the wing tips with latex house paint. Frog tape, stuck it on my jeans a couple times to make it less sticky, so it doesn't pull the red up. Two light coats of latex, remove tape just as it is barely dry. Came out perfect...
FLTRI is offline Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Today, 04:54 AM
Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Princess Anne, Md.
Joined Oct 2006
506 Posts
You could use black Monokote trim http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHX86&P=ML. I did the same thing in white on a Art Tech Pitts.
spaceinvader is offline Find More Posts by spaceinvader
Old Today, 06:06 AM
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
477 Posts
What about using ink jet waterslide decals? I don't know, I'm asking.
http://www.amazon.com/Lazertran-Wate.../dp/B001LUF54E
SlowJeff is online now Find More Posts by SlowJeff