SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 12:02 AM
Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arycon View Post
I checked my winch line travel and it moves very close to 100mm. About 97 - 98mm. However, the jib close hauled position is 60mm from the main mast so clearly too far out. If I draw it in, the jib will not reach the recommended 90 - 100 degrees sheeted out. It is more like 80 degrees...less than my main sheet travel. Is this correct? Confused because the manual says it should be out much farther...at least based on the photo in the manual.
@Arycon:
If you have that much travel it should not be too much problem.

For the jib fairlead are you using deck eye 5 or deck eye 6? The build instructions say to use deck eye 6 and position the boom band at 180mm from the reference point.
In the "hints and tips" at www.dragonforce65.com you will find they recommend using deck eye 5 for the jib sheeting point, you need to move SR5 (at 180mm) back to about 160mm on the jib boom. The jib sheet should not pass through deck eye 7.

Personally I see no point in trying to get 90 to 100 degrees for the jib boom, 80 to 90 degrees is more than enough - the idea is to get the actual sail more or less square to the wind when sheeted out and running with the wind dead astern.

Getting the correct angles when close hauled is more important as upwind is where the gains are generally made when racing.

Hope this helps
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by outlawpc
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2012
40 Posts
Quote:
I checked my winch line travel and it moves very close to 100mm. About 97 - 98mm. However, the jib close hauled position is 60mm from the main mast so clearly too far out. If I draw it in, the jib will not reach the recommended 90 - 100 degrees sheeted out. It is more like 80 degrees...less than my main sheet travel. Is this correct? Confused because the manual says it should be out much farther...at least based on the photo in the manual.
Are you using the transmitter that was supplied with the kit? If so this may be were your problem lies. On more advanced computer transmitters, the skipper can set his/her end point adjustments (EPA).

I had no problem setting up end points with my Futaba 6E.

Jim
outlawpc is offline Find More Posts by outlawpc
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Find More Posts by Arycon
-= Trojan Man =-
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawpc View Post
Are you using the transmitter that was supplied with the kit? If so this may be were your problem lies. On more advanced computer transmitters, the skipper can set his/her end point adjustments (EPA).

I had no problem setting up end points with my Futaba 6E.

Jim
I use a DX9 with a simple 4 channel air rx. I can further adjust my end points for more travel. That may indeed help. I tinkered with it before I left for work. With my current setup the winch moves about 97mm from sheeted in to sheeted out positions. The jib is 5mm forward of the mast and deflects sheeted in 40mm from the mast. Sheeted out it is reaching 80 to the centerline of the yacht...not far enough. This is also with SR5 at 160mm.

I need more winch travel to reach the proper sheeted out deflections. That or I need to discover if I have done something wrong. I can take photos for reference.
Arycon is offline Find More Posts by Arycon
Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by TedFlack
United States, MI, Bloomfield Hills
Joined Feb 2010
663 Posts
Quote:
I use a DX9 with a simple 4 channel air rx. I can further adjust my end points for more travel. That may indeed help. I tinkered with it before I left for work. With my current setup the winch moves about 97mm from sheeted in to sheeted out positions. The jib is 5mm forward of the mast and deflects sheeted in 40mm from the mast. Sheeted out it is reaching 80 to the centerline of the yacht...not far enough. This is also with SR5 at 160mm.

I need more winch travel to reach the proper sheeted out deflections. That or I need to discover if I have done something wrong. I can take photos for reference.
If you have that much travel the sails should be made to able to go all the way out by moving the fairlead on the boom forward, closer to the pivot. If the main is OK then just move the jib fairlead forward. If you need more travel on both then add a bunch of line to the winch drum to make it a bigger diameter which will give you more travel.
TedFlack is online now Find More Posts by TedFlack
Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM
Find More Posts by davidwood
United States, CA, Imperial
Joined Feb 2015
47 Posts
Dragonforce RG65 I.V. (7 min 10 sec)
davidwood is offline Find More Posts by davidwood
Old Today, 06:45 AM
Find More Posts by Arycon
-= Trojan Man =-
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2012
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwood View Post
Great video. Beautiful.

Thank you for all of the suggestions about my rigging. I adjusted the end points an got up to 113mm winch travel. I also loosened the jib sail lead from Deck Eye 5 to raise the jib higher off of the deck. It was too low. Im now at 40mm deflection from the mast sheeted in and about 87 deflection sheeted out.

I think I need to trim it in just a bit more. I believe the jib should be 30 - 35mm sheeted in so I need it to reduce ever so slightly. Easily done. Going up to Melbourne Park tomorrow to run with the club there. Planning on joining them soon.

Just want to comment that this is a great group of skippers. Very patient, knowledgeable and helpful. It is appreciated.
Arycon is offline Find More Posts by Arycon