SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2014, 06:32 PM
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
Discussion
My 2nd Foam Board Build - Axon Glider

Just started getting into hobby this summer flying a Champ, then moved on to a UMX Radian. Wanted something bigger but still for beginners, so I got an old used Apprentice 15e (without SAFE) at a swap meet, got pretty good at that. During all this time I have been reading up and learning, and I came across here, which lead me to Ed and Experimental Airlines. Thought heck I can do that, so I built a Noob Tube, first build and a plane that I really wasn't quite ready to fly. I crashed the heck out of it, but had some fun and edge your your seat flights. After my last nose in, I decided to build something more easy and relaxing to fly. I had all kinds of issues with that motor mount with the Noob Tube and yard darting it, so I thought his pusher the Axon would be something to try. I have no desire as of now to do any FPV, and I really enjoyed my little UMX Radian, so I decided to make an Axon glider.

60 inch wing span
8 inch wing chord
45 inch fuselage

I made two 30 inch tubes as Ed says in his videos, but with the second tube when he says to make a nose, upper fuse, and spare, I simply cut it in half and made a 15 inch nose and 15 inch upper fuse. I also moved the upper fuse back a bit.

Electronics are as follows
2826-6 2200kv Turnigy motor
30amp Turnigy Plush ESC
6x4 TGS sport prop (think I want to try 6x5 after maidening it today)
4 Hobby King 10 gram analog servos
Orange 615x Rx
2200mah 3s Turnigy 20c battery

I've attached some pics of the plane and here is a video of the maiden which I took today. It was 34 degrees, so a pretty chilly maiden.

Axon Glider Maiden (2 min 36 sec)
mark622 is offline Find More Posts by mark622
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2014, 08:29 AM
Joined Apr 2013
661 Posts
Nice! Welcome to the scratch building addiction.
All of Ed's designs and build techniques are good all-around performers.
You may find yourself trying out weirder and weirder extremes for different build and flight experiences - at least that's what happened to me
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My youtube channel
Old Dec 05, 2014, 10:49 PM
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
Yeah man, already having lots of ideas for different planes, this Axon glider couldn't be any easier to fly. My boy who is 10 likes flying my Champ and I think this plane would be good to get him flying a bigger plane. Next plane I would like to build would be a cruiser type of plane, something with a little speed but a bit more stable than a noob tube, kinda have an idea of making a Super Champ since I had so much fun with the little Champ. Think I already have more ideas than I have space for planes lol.
Old Dec 05, 2014, 10:55 PM
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
Here is a picture I took comparing my Apprentice wing to my Axon glider Armin wing.
Old Dec 06, 2014, 02:00 AM
Joined May 2012
155 Posts
Hello
Why did you move the wing back? Just wonder if it would have flown as well like Ed's with the bigger wing. What about the new balance point?
IAFoamie
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Dec 06, 2014, 12:43 PM
Joined Sep 2014
37 Posts
Moved wing back so it would balance without FPV gear or added nose weight, also for gliding abilities. Balance point is still the same, a third back from leading edge of wing.
Old Dec 06, 2014, 03:58 PM
Joined May 2012
155 Posts
Ok thanks
IAFoamie
IAFoamie is offline Find More Posts by IAFoamie