New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2016, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by lazy-b
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,265 Posts
Discussion
Flying with external Antenna install inside the Transmitter.....

Flying with external Antenna install inside the Transmitter.....

Guys, I hate having the external 2.4GB antenna sticking out my Transmitter......its difficult to store in a small tool box .

So, what I do.....I open up my Radio and hide the antenna inside the transmitter.......I just put in the Top most of the transmitter, its just below the antenna root.

Been doing this for more than a year.....

But Now, I plan to do the same on my Transmitter Modules.......

Have some of you have tried this ?
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2016, 04:20 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
19,018 Posts
For transmitter modules you could have issues with antenna size... bigger than the module case...
Maybe a GPS style ceramic patch will be a better approach, but you should follow the model with the radio, this solution is directional.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:11 PM
KC
Find More Posts by KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
4,744 Posts
Quote:
... Snip...

But Now, I plan to do the same on my Transmitter Modules.......

Have some of you have tried this ?
I have. Both the Spek and FlySky modules are used with the antenna in the module bay. The antenna can be pulled out, but it generally stays in the bay with the bay cover on.

I should mention that I only fly micro sized planes with these modules, close in, where I don't have to worry about range. The way I hold the Tx, which is parallel to the ground and slight downwards, the Tx blocks much of the signal. I wouldn't fly like this to full LOS/visual limit distances.
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Feb 10, 2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
19,018 Posts
The left image placement is a very bad example, is the case when the radio points to the model, along the antenna axis there is a black hole, literally, is no wonder this works for indoor only.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Feb 10, 2016, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
11,239 Posts
I did that on my Futaba 9C and flew it for several years until the 9C got retired. I flew up to 110" WS glow powered airplanes with it without any issues.

http://cankov.com/modelairplane/futaba/futspek013.jpg
http://cankov.com/modelairplane/futaba/futspek015.jpg
http://cankov.com/modelairplane/futaba/futspek016.jpg

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
Old Feb 11, 2016, 02:14 AM
Find More Posts by lazy-b
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2004
1,265 Posts
Thanks to all have respond...

I alway folded my 2.4 antenna Horizon tally.....this produce a Maximum radiation pattern in front of the Pilot.

Been thinking of making a T Supports on the Modules.....where you can mount the Antenna Horizontally........The Antenna is just about an Inch from the edge of the Modules.

An Ideal location is to Position the Antenna exact at the Transmitter Handle, Maybe we could replace the Metal Handle with a Plastic .
lazy-b is offline Find More Posts by lazy-b
Last edited by lazy-b; Feb 11, 2016 at 02:21 AM.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by Julez
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,927 Posts
I can recommend Icanc's solution, as I never had problems doing it the same way.
Julez is offline Find More Posts by Julez
Old Feb 12, 2016, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by srnet
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,789 Posts
For those that have modified their TXs is this way, changing the antenna so its inside the case, what was the change in signal strength (RSSI etc) getting to the RX at the model ?
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old Feb 12, 2016, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by ivanc
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
11,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
For those that have modified their TXs is this way, changing the antenna so its inside the case, what was the change in signal strength (RSSI etc) getting to the RX at the model ?
I used it with a DSM2 module as evident from the pics I posted. Back then telemetry was not available. I did fly many planes with that transmitter and module combo with a number of different receivers in them visual line of sight with no loss of control. I've installed a Flight logger in my bigger planes and it registered only several antenna shadows which I'd expect is normal for those planes with big glow engines (1.6 to 2.0) in them.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc