Old Aug 14, 2015, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Sicut volare
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
8,082 Posts
I have given this kit the benefit of the doubt, and though it's a great design, the execution and manufacturing were on the sloppy side. Some of the parts are low quality, there is no doubt about that. I love my 10cc engine, but the Saratoga made for a much more exciting pairing with it. I wouldn't go so far as to call the 10cc underpowered for the Meridian, but I can see where having a bit more power on tap would be fun, also, it would probably balance the plane better. I don't think anyone expects to do 3d with this plane. That said, it is a fun plane, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckbot View Post
I sort of chuckle while reading and seeing where this thread is going. I get kit bashing and people's curiosity about what if, but this plane and engine were made for / with each other in mind. And in this case, they work great as a set. Does not always work out this way, but here it does. The Evo10cc is a good little engine, the airframe is a great and robust flyer!
To be real, they are both meant to be progression items and neither is expected to have a LONG life expectancy. The EVO is not DA quality and the Meridian is not going to be a 3D superstar.
Enjoy them for what they are and just your flying time!
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Last edited by PontiusPilate; Aug 14, 2015 at 10:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:13 AM
Find More Posts by teckbot
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
No need for condescension. .
None implied, just my thougts
teckbot is offline Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by victoras_h
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Jun 2010
385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckbot View Post
...but this plane and engine were made for / with each other in mind. And in this case, they work great as a set....
This may have been induced by the manufacturers as a good little marketing move. Most likely they wanted a bump start in selling the 10cc gas engine and went together with Hangar 9. This is not necessarily a bad thing but from what I keep finding around here, they didn't really do much pre-release testing. To be honest, I'm just glad they don't 'force' everyone in buying the engine with a RTF only release.
victoras_h is offline Find More Posts by victoras_h
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,744 Posts
Regarding leaving planes "stock" - what's the fun in that?? Better overall performance can usually be achieved with most any BNF/RTF plane by experimenting with props, engines, servos, etc. After all, factory recommendations are intended to cover middle-of-the-road applications. Optimizing your aircraft to better-suit your specific flight-conditions (such as elevation) and flying-style is simply part of the hobby.

Regarding engine choice - if a plane needs nose-weight to balance properly, I'd MUCH rather add useful weight in the form of a more powerful propulsion system, rather than adding performance-robbing dead-weight.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Aug 14, 2015, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by wdog
In 1 piece? Not for long...:)
United States, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jan 2012
302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Fits, but it doesn't need it.

Only reason I ask is because I have been reading about the meridian being tail heavy and if I can, I'd like my nose weight to be engine not lead
wdog is offline Find More Posts by wdog
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:29 PM
Find More Posts by seldredge
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
565 Posts
A few thoughts on an electric Meridian

I build my Meridian as an electric, and since talk was of having to add weight to the nose, I did so with a bigger motor and larger battery--an Eflite Power 60 and Glacier 5300 mAh lipos.

I started with a 14x7 prop, which was OK, but like 14x8.5 better when I tried it. A little more speed, which I liked for entering loops etc. Flies vertical as far as I need it to. No noticeable change in flight time. I set my timer at 12:00 and have flown more up to 16 with lots left. I tried some 14x8 wood props (Falcon, Xoar, Fiala). They are quieter, lighter, and more efficient (not at a level that matters much for me and this plane); but overall the APC 14x8.5 was better because the slight different in pitch just feels better. I think the extra noise is nice too because I key on it somehow.

Last prop I tried was a 14x9 Vess, and it's definitely the one for power, but not the best choice for running off a narrow runway in a crosswind (that would be the APC). I ordered more, but will use APC on some days.

I have a sensor that allows me to get real-time data on mAh consumed, and the data says I could fly as long as 14.5 minutes in mixed flying (some cruising, some practicing IMAC manuevers).

I just started flying my second ARF, a Great Planes Revolver 70. Very different, much more athletic, but I still like the Meridian as much as before. I picked up an inexpensive tail-dragger version on ebay (Seagull iSport 10cc) as a backup in case I lost the Meridian, but think if that happened I would build another Meridian.
seldredge is offline Find More Posts by seldredge
Old Aug 14, 2015, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdog View Post
Only reason I ask is because I have been reading about the meridian being tail heavy and if I can, I'd like my nose weight to be engine not lead
So I take it you didn't read these posts ?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=372

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=375

hhttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=377

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=378
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Aug 23, 2015, 05:01 PM
Find More Posts by wdog
In 1 piece? Not for long...:)
United States, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jan 2012
302 Posts
I did not read the entire thread no as I was just trying to decide on what plane to get and what motor to get and I was making a list of my options.
wdog is offline Find More Posts by wdog
Old Mar 07, 2016, 03:21 PM
Joined May 2014
565 Posts
Has anyone changed nose gear to separate servo?

I'm thinking of changing my nose gear to use a separate servo in conjunction with a change to a Fults nose gear. Curious if anyone has added a separate servo and if so, could you post a picture.
Old Mar 08, 2016, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by larryoakley
Joined Mar 2012
486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldredge View Post
I'm thinking of changing my nose gear to use a separate servo in conjunction with a change to a Fults nose gear. Curious if anyone has added a separate servo and if so, could you post a picture.
I haven't tried yet but maybe will do it in the future because of the stress the nose gear is putting in the rudder servo, anyhow, I think is doable, there is enough space between the fuel tank and the servo tray where to locate this new steering servo
larryoakley is offline Find More Posts by larryoakley
Old Mar 08, 2016, 06:10 PM
Joined May 2014
565 Posts
My receiver & gyro sit on a piece of ply inthe center, in front of the rudder and elevator servos. I think there is a slot for a servo in front of the rudder servo that would work. Might need a bellcrank--haven't really studied it yet. I may begin by leaving the mechanicals alone and just changing the nose gear.
Old Apr 03, 2016, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by guyst
Joined Feb 2010
848 Posts
Anyone flies a 6S electric?
I got 4S 5000 and 6S 5000, I see 4S is a bit lazy...
guyst is offline Find More Posts by guyst
Old Apr 03, 2016, 05:46 PM
Joined May 2014
565 Posts
I fly a 6S 5300 electric with an EFlite Power 60. I like it a lot. I commented on my setup a few posts back.

I would think 4S would get it off the ground but not be much fun. With 6S I'm learning the IMAC maneuvers, and it has plenty of power for that.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by Richard Haynes
Joined Jan 2014
41 Posts

I have the same intention. My Sebart Stev has one and I like it, so I'm going to do the same here.
Richard Haynes is offline Find More Posts by Richard Haynes
Last edited by Richard Haynes; Apr 27, 2016 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Subject missing
Old Apr 27, 2016, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Sicut volare
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
8,082 Posts
Why would you? If you use a nice strong servo for the tail/nose, you're fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Haynes View Post

I have the same intention. My Sebart Stev has one and I like it, so I'm going to do the same here.
PontiusPilate is online now Find More Posts by PontiusPilate