New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Sicut volare
United States, VA, Chantilly
Joined Oct 2010
8,057 Posts
I have given this kit the benefit of the doubt, and though it's a great design, the execution and manufacturing were on the sloppy side. Some of the parts are low quality, there is no doubt about that. I love my 10cc engine, but the Saratoga made for a much more exciting pairing with it. I wouldn't go so far as to call the 10cc underpowered for the Meridian, but I can see where having a bit more power on tap would be fun, also, it would probably balance the plane better. I don't think anyone expects to do 3d with this plane. That said, it is a fun plane, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teckbot View Post
I sort of chuckle while reading and seeing where this thread is going. I get kit bashing and people's curiosity about what if, but this plane and engine were made for / with each other in mind. And in this case, they work great as a set. Does not always work out this way, but here it does. The Evo10cc is a good little engine, the airframe is a great and robust flyer!
To be real, they are both meant to be progression items and neither is expected to have a LONG life expectancy. The EVO is not DA quality and the Meridian is not going to be a 3D superstar.
Enjoy them for what they are and just your flying time!
PontiusPilate is offline Find More Posts by PontiusPilate
Last edited by PontiusPilate; Aug 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by teckbot
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiusPilate View Post
No need for condescension. .
None implied, just my thougts
teckbot is offline Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:21 AM
Find More Posts by victoras_h
United States, TX, Irving
Joined Jun 2010
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckbot View Post
...but this plane and engine were made for / with each other in mind. And in this case, they work great as a set....
This may have been induced by the manufacturers as a good little marketing move. Most likely they wanted a bump start in selling the 10cc gas engine and went together with Hangar 9. This is not necessarily a bad thing but from what I keep finding around here, they didn't really do much pre-release testing. To be honest, I'm just glad they don't 'force' everyone in buying the engine with a RTF only release.
victoras_h is offline Find More Posts by victoras_h
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:35 AM
Find More Posts by turboparker
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jul 2009
14,620 Posts
Regarding leaving planes "stock" - what's the fun in that?? Better overall performance can usually be achieved with most any BNF/RTF plane by experimenting with props, engines, servos, etc. After all, factory recommendations are intended to cover middle-of-the-road applications. Optimizing your aircraft to better-suit your specific flight-conditions (such as elevation) and flying-style is simply part of the hobby.

Regarding engine choice - if a plane needs nose-weight to balance properly, I'd MUCH rather add useful weight in the form of a more powerful propulsion system, rather than adding performance-robbing dead-weight.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
Old Aug 14, 2015, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by wdog
What goes up... must crash!
United States, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Fits, but it doesn't need it.

Only reason I ask is because I have been reading about the meridian being tail heavy and if I can, I'd like my nose weight to be engine not lead
wdog is online now Find More Posts by wdog
Old Aug 14, 2015, 05:29 PM
Find More Posts by seldredge
United States, CA, La Honda
Joined May 2014
537 Posts
A few thoughts on an electric Meridian

I build my Meridian as an electric, and since talk was of having to add weight to the nose, I did so with a bigger motor and larger battery--an Eflite Power 60 and Glacier 5300 mAh lipos.

I started with a 14x7 prop, which was OK, but like 14x8.5 better when I tried it. A little more speed, which I liked for entering loops etc. Flies vertical as far as I need it to. No noticeable change in flight time. I set my timer at 12:00 and have flown more up to 16 with lots left. I tried some 14x8 wood props (Falcon, Xoar, Fiala). They are quieter, lighter, and more efficient (not at a level that matters much for me and this plane); but overall the APC 14x8.5 was better because the slight different in pitch just feels better. I think the extra noise is nice too because I key on it somehow.

Last prop I tried was a 14x9 Vess, and it's definitely the one for power, but not the best choice for running off a narrow runway in a crosswind (that would be the APC). I ordered more, but will use APC on some days.

I have a sensor that allows me to get real-time data on mAh consumed, and the data says I could fly as long as 14.5 minutes in mixed flying (some cruising, some practicing IMAC manuevers).

I just started flying my second ARF, a Great Planes Revolver 70. Very different, much more athletic, but I still like the Meridian as much as before. I picked up an inexpensive tail-dragger version on ebay (Seagull iSport 10cc) as a backup in case I lost the Meridian, but think if that happened I would build another Meridian.
seldredge is online now Find More Posts by seldredge
Old Aug 14, 2015, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdog View Post
Only reason I ask is because I have been reading about the meridian being tail heavy and if I can, I'd like my nose weight to be engine not lead
So I take it you didn't read these posts ?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=372

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=375

hhttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=377

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=378
flyinwalenda is offline Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Aug 23, 2015, 06:01 PM
Find More Posts by wdog
What goes up... must crash!
United States, AR, Fort Smith
Joined Jan 2012
286 Posts
I did not read the entire thread no as I was just trying to decide on what plane to get and what motor to get and I was making a list of my options.
wdog is online now Find More Posts by wdog