HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 26, 2014, 06:03 AM
United States, NC, Whispering Pines
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Discussion
Nicesky Decathlon Scout w/ floats

Hi everyone!

Santa brought a Nicesky Decathlon. http://www.motionrc.com/nicesky-deca...th-floats-bnf/

I have several eflite/hobbyzone planes, been eying the UMX Carbon cub, but with floats it runs close to $200, so when I ran across the Decathlon, I tough I'd give it a try.

Plane came packaged very well, and upon assembly looks to be of excellent quality, similar to eflite planes. Comes with micro servos ( real ones, not the board things found in the champ), and nice motor.
No battery or charger included.

So here are my questions:
1. SLT radio receiver, this means no direct connection with my spectrum DS6i? Not looking to use the any link adaptor, so I should just buy a spectrum receiver?
2. It asks for up to a 800 mAh battery, most come in at 1.5 or less ounces, can I use my Archers batteries eflite 2s 1,100 at 2.4 oz? I am planning on swapping battery plugs anyway.
3. Please recommend a spare prop.
Thank you!
55Cobra is offline Find More Posts by 55Cobra
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 26, 2014, 07:37 AM
Unregistered User
United States, LA, St Francisville
Joined Apr 2014
1,594 Posts
The SLT Rx cannot bind to a Spektrum Tx. You can use a 6CH Rx like this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/aircraft...iver-spmar610c
This Rx is waterproofed.

You might be able to use the larger batts, if they fit. The plane probably won't fly as well with the extra weight.

Here's the stock prop:
http://www.motionrc.com/nicesky-deca...ner-propeller/

What size is the stock prop? You can probably use a GWS or APC prop of the same size.
Eagle2Nitro is online now Find More Posts by Eagle2Nitro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Youtube Channel
Old Dec 27, 2014, 03:07 PM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
367 Posts
I just maidened mine with a 450 mAh pack. Flies pretty good but it seems to be on the tail heavy side stock. It can get quite snappy if you slow it down. That or it's just heavy overall. Might try moving stuff forward to see how it reacts. As-is it isn't a floater.
Sessholvlaru is online now Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
Old Dec 28, 2014, 06:03 AM
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Great, what was the flight time with the 450 battery?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 09:10 AM
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Here is a review of the plane from (sorry) another site..... http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1578
With a 600 mha battery, they got 6 minutes of flight time. I will go buy two of the recommended batteries and give it a try. Hope this plane catches on, it is now sold through Towerhobbies, motion RC and even horizon hobbies!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 05:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Flew the decathlon today, and it is a very very powerful plane for its size! I had the rider mixed in at 45% with the ailerons, and what a big difference it made!
This is a great little plane, but as mentioned above, not a floater, so first time pilots, this is not for you!
Btw, we had wind gusts at 9 mph, and during the last landing the decathlon decided to run off the runway and into the ditch. Good thing I ordered an etra prop!
Also flew my scratch built decathlon cub Frankenstein plane with the rudder aileron mix, and it behaved extremely well with that set up. Give it a try!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 09:16 AM
United States, MI, Mackinac
Joined May 2011
93 Posts
Questions on NiceSky Scout:
I keep looking at this because of them floats. Not finding many small high-wings with ailerons either. Winter comes and those UM with bricks go into the closet cause don’t want them getting wet. I don’t have any that have clear windows either!
I’m tired of them brinks going on the fritz, but small planes fit my field. Whole idea of replace equipment to what’s in this plane seems path I’ve been on with what build.

1. WS is 26.8” (68cm), what’s the chord?

2. Anyone test fly with the floats on yet?
RCU review wt 315g but only uses gear. MotionRC site says 270 w/gear or 315 floats.
--Thinking it will need more pwr to take off of water or snow.

3. What are the dimensions of the batt compartment? That Electrifly 600mAh, 25C, wt 35g & 52x31x13.
-- Motionrc has Admiral 2s, 800mah, 30C, wt 42g, 54x32x13 (That’s better than my
Venom 2s 800mah 20C, is 48.2g, 65.5x36x10.2mm ) Think many 800s 2c are gonna end up too fat. Might fly but stop any idea of doing stunts. Then do I want to do loops w/floats.
-- Pix w/600mAh GPMP0820 (Wgt 35gm, 52x31x13 ) batt shows “some” width left, can’t tell if height is tight fit. Most 800s are gonna be longer & fatter.
-- Pix w/cover shows fitting over 4 vent holes & last vent the bind plug.
4. Do both wires slip out of batt compart into fuse?

5. RCU reviewer said the RX was loose so taped it to wing -Where’d your RX end up?
-- I’d probably use one of my extra backward AR6115e’s. Then if get brave to do over water worry about different set-up.

6. No mention of prop size in review. A 2012 review of Beaver says to replace with 6x3, $9.50 seems steep for one prop. What’s clearance with floats on if wanta try one bigger? Will GWS or APC just slip on this thing? Always nice to know if you have extras ready.
Hey if cracked it up got parts for rebuild of my Chicken Chief w/o Beast brick!
Nominalflap is offline Find More Posts by Nominalflap
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:47 AM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,023 Posts
Just bought one of these myself. I'll let you know my thoughts when I get some time with it. My goal is to have it for indoor fun flying our club does at a local elementary, and also to float fly it when we run R/C boats. I belong to the Indianapolis Admirals R/C Model Boat Club too.
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott
Old Mar 21, 2015, 02:55 PM
United States, IN, Brownsburg
Joined Apr 2006
1,023 Posts
I've got mine assembled. Still need to get a TX. I thought my Spektrum would bind. Doh! Not the case. Apples and Oranges I guess.

It seems on the heavy side, so its likely not going to be a floater. I assembled it with the floats, but the instructions say to fly it first with gear to get familiar with it and then go to floats. Makes sense.
HelloScott is offline Find More Posts by HelloScott