HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:10 AM
Medford, Massachusetts USA
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Build Log
Space Shuttle

I have started building a Space Shuttle from a kit that never went into full production. I got it from EJF.com. They may still have as is parts if you want to build one. It is a nice looking Shuttle. It will be powered by an electric ducted fan unit and have elevons for control serfaces. I will post updates as the build progresses.

I must give a hats off to Carlos (guapoman2000) and "Spaceshuttle1". Without them there would be no Shuttle in my hanger. Carlos has already built, modified and flown his Space Shuttle. He has a thread on Wattflyer and RC Universe. Without his visionary work I would be plodding along in the dark.

Steve
Stevedots is offline Find More Posts by Stevedots
Last edited by Stevedots; Dec 04, 2010 at 09:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:12 AM
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Here are some photos of the Space Shuttle parts out of the box.

Steve
Last edited by Stevedots; Dec 03, 2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:14 AM
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Wings

First night I attached the wings, it was a simple process. Since this is not an in production kit there are no instructions. But the wings go on pretty simply with three included carbon fiber rods.

Steve
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:17 AM
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Hatch work

Next I did some work on the "hatch" or payload bay door if you like. It didn't fit perfectly onto the body so I added two thin strips of foam along the sides of the hatch and sanded them to match the curve of the top. I also added some rib extentions on the inside so it would grip the inside of the body. Lastly I added 6 sets of 3.2mm rare earth magnets from Magcraft.com to keep the hatch on. Now I can pick up the shuttle by the hatch.

Steve
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Wing mod

Again following Carlos's work I added an extra piece of foam onto the top of what would have been a flat wing. With some 'ribs' glued under the wing it did give me a bit of an airfoil. Not as pronounced as the real thing but any airfoil vs no airfoil can only help.

I have also filled and sanded parts of the body with light weight spackel. The spackel was so light that when I picked it up at the hardware store the container felt empty. So I am not worried about any added weight.

Steve
Last edited by Stevedots; Dec 03, 2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:21 AM
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Landing Gear Recommendations?

I have ordered my electric ducted fan unit from EJF.com. It is a 70mm Typhoon Brushless EDF 2W-20-75A Drive Set for 4S Lipo. It should give more than 3 lbs of thrust! I think Carlos's Shuttle ended up weighing 2 lbs so I should be in good shape with more than 3 lbs of thrust.

I have the radio gear all set but I am at a stand still as far as landing gear. I'd like to go with something that looks scale, duel front wheels and duel main gear like the Shuttle but so far I haven't found anything on line that really jumps out at me.

I will be flying off grass, it is pretty smooth and short so I think I can get away with scale gear or something close to scale. Maybe just a little bit bigger than scale on the size wheels.

Any suggestions out there in R/C land on what would be a good set of gear? It will be fixed gear and must have a stearable nose wheel.

Thanks,

Steve
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:33 AM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,594 Posts
Why not make your own? I made and installed a new set of dual mains and a steerable, dual nose wheel in an afternoon. Piano wire is at your LHS. Wheels are probably also there. I am thinking of adding an upper wing surface because although mine flies fine, it is definitely more on the thrust than the wing ---- now I think of it that is scale!
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Nov 12, 2010, 11:42 AM
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Hello Killickb,

If I can't find a premade set that looks the part I'll follow your suggestion. Is your shuttle based on the EJF Shuttle or did you make it all yourself? Love to see how it looks!

Steve
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:26 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,594 Posts
It is one of the first (and last?) kits from EJF. If you search the Foamy Jets forum you will find pictures (including mine), assembly instructions, assembly comments, flying comments etc from others who have built this model.

Have fun with yours, it is different.
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:54 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,342 Posts
Shuttle Landing Gear

Hey Steve,
Nice work so far! I'm actually piecing a shuttle together as well. I think I'm going to go with some landing gear from E-Flite made for their F-15 EDF. It will require some hardwood to be installed, but should be a pretty simple mod.

As far as the Shuttle kit goes, as mentioned, it is not "available" all the time now... but if we get a few orders in I'm sure I can talk Robert into cutting some more out. Why have all that time and research go to waste right?

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Nov 12, 2010, 07:43 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,157 Posts
Try these.
For landing gear. Works great!
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Nov 12, 2010, 08:19 PM
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Thanks guys,

Killickb, I will check out the other forum to check out your shuttle and info. Also, AceMigKiller I just ordered those gear, for only $10.98 shipped. And bruff, I ordered those other gear too. Figured it was only $13.98 shipped so why not. One of those sets should work and I always like to have spare parts around so I'm sure I'll find a use for which ever gear I don't use on the shuttle.

I hope EJF continues to create Shuttle parts or changes their mind and maybe makes a full blow kit. Who knows, if I have a case of 'dumb thumbs' I might need more parts....but I hope I don't need them!!!

Steve
Old Nov 13, 2010, 12:05 PM
Did anyone bring CA?
Philippines/Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
57 Posts
Hey Steve,

I'm Clayton, I did the initial flight testing for this one in Phoenix. Good job on the Shuttle, it is nice seeing another one getting going. It was a bit of a disappointment for us that it wasn't as popular as we hoped, but it is a good flying model and we used it at different fields as well as even flew it indoors! Unfortunately, the ESC failed on that one and I couldn't save it, but it was very versatile. We used a 64mm fan/motor for the initial testing and a 4s 1750 rhino and it seemed sufficient for power and weight. My advice to you would be to keep it as light as possible due to the fragile nature of depron, I tried it heavy and had a bit more difficult time with the flight characteristics. Maybe with your semi-air-foiled wing you will get better results. Finally, I used a CG that was 8 1/2 inches from the rear firewall. I think if you started at 9 inches and as you get used to the flying characteristics move it back to there to get a wider flight envelope. Good luck and steady thumbs!!

Clay
cbalser is offline Find More Posts by cbalser
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:02 PM
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Hi Clayton,

I just ordered another Shuttle from EJF. I like it so much I wanted a spare. I will be putting a 70mm fan/motor into the Shuttle and will be using a single 4S battery. I hope it won't be too heavy.

I too was disappointed that the Shuttle wasn't more popular. I would have liked to purchase a full fledged kit but I'm glad to have what I did get. I will keep a sharp eye on my CG!

I plan on doing a good paint job and detail work on her before her maiden. I just hope my 'thumbs' are up to the task when the time comes!

Steve
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:05 PM
Joined Feb 2008
361 Posts
Latest update:

I am waiting for my 'powerplant' and a few different sets of landing gear to try out. In the mean time I have installed the hinges into the elevons and I mounted the control horns onto the elevons. I used control horns that have back plates and will be mounting the servos into the bottom of the wings. Last step for tonight was to glue the elevon hinges onto the Shuttle wings.

As you can see in the first photo I have some dents in the bottom of my wing from the clothes pins I used to hold the layers of foam together. I will use some more of the light weight spackel and do some more filling and sanding before I do the finished paint job. But for now I still have more work to do before I worry about paint.

Steve