SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:53 PM
Joined Feb 2006
16 Posts
Help!
programing Futaba 7C to fit the Cularis

Hi
Just finished assembling my new "CULARIS" but I have been straggling for some time now – trying to program my Futaba 7C transmitter to control it without success.
The glider has four servo (2 on each wing – eilerons and flaparons), and another two for an elevator and a rudder. Read the manual a few times, but still can not get to the point were I have flaparons (VR), eilarons…..working. Please advice. Thanks.
drorsoffer is offline Find More Posts by drorsoffer
Last edited by drorsoffer; Aug 08, 2007 at 07:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2007, 01:36 PM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
Tell Futaba that its 7C transmitter manual is not clear about model sailplane applications. What is the answer?
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Aug 08, 2007, 04:50 PM
jrerickson
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2005
824 Posts
You need a 7 channel receiver to make things easy. Plug the right aileron into 1, the right flap into 5, the left aileron into 7, the left flap into 6, the elevator into 2 and the rudder into 4.

You'll need to program in "GLID 2F". You'll find the "BFLY" setting will take care of flaps and ailerons.

On page 31 of the manual it talks about this set up. It is not more complicated than any other radio. Each has their own programming language that you need to get used to.

John
jrerickson is offline Find More Posts by jrerickson
Old Aug 08, 2007, 11:22 PM
Joined Feb 2006
16 Posts
thanks, i will look it up see if it works and will let you know.
Old Aug 09, 2007, 02:54 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
I don't think the 7C could address each flap on its own channel. I think you are going to need a Y cable for the flaps.

You would not use flapperons on a plane with flaps. Flapperons are only for planes with ailerons that do not have flaps.

To run the two aileron servos on their own channels I believe you are going to need the aileron diff mix to control the two ailerons, each on their own channel.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Aug 09, 2007, 10:00 AM
Joined Feb 2006
16 Posts
I believe that in order to use a Y connector I will need a servo reverser since my flap servos will operate in different directions. I was thinking of that possibility and I might use it if the bfly trick won't work. Thanks
Old Aug 09, 2007, 01:01 PM
They call me Crash!
Ohio
Joined Jun 2006
1,692 Posts
I have the same Radio and someone told me that is not set up to run flaps and alierons..You need a better radio like a 9 channel......I have a ezglider and was going to buy a full house glider ,but I did'nt do it because I was told that my radio cannot handle that set up
So I bought a glider that has alierons rudder and elevators...then you can program spoilerons on a switch........All flaps do is slow the plane down...so I figured I have enough field to slow my ezg down.
Kaw1000 is offline Find More Posts by Kaw1000
Old Aug 18, 2007, 04:44 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
I have the same Radio and someone told me that is not set up to run flaps and alierons..You need a better radio like a 9 channel......I have a ezglider and was going to buy a full house glider ,but I did'nt do it because I was told that my radio cannot handle that set up
So I bought a glider that has alierons rudder and elevators...then you can program spoilerons on a switch........All flaps do is slow the plane down...so I figured I have enough field to slow my ezg down.
You can fly a full house glider on a 4 channel radio. Anyone tells you different they are lying to you.

The 7C can do fine with a full house glider. Use a Y cable on the flaps. Either mount the servos so them move in the same direction, which is what I did on my first full house. I used a Hitec Prism 7X on that plane. Flaps were on a Y cable. Or you can use a Y cable with a reverser on it. That works too. And most reversers have an adjustment that helps you get your flaps servos aligned.

7 C has aileron diff so you can have each aileron on a separate channel, 1&7
Flaps on 6
Rudder on 4
Elevator on 2

Now you are all set.

I belive you have a flap to elevator mix so you can set up compensation. Thus when you drop flaps, the elevator moves too to help keep the plane level, otherwise it will tend to balloon up.

Not sure what other mixes 7c has but I am sure you can use a mix or two to get a launch setting and some kind of camber setting.

Look to see if you have a flap to aileron mix. If you do, and this can work on a dial or a 3 way switch, you can set up reflex and camber or a launch mix.

Just because a radio does not have every possible sailplane mix you can imagine does not mean you can't fly a full house sailplane on that radio.

That 7C is plenty of radio for the Cularis.

We have lots of guys flying full house gliders on the 6 channel Hitec Optic 6 and one was flying one on a Hitc Flash 5SX. Both lacked a lot of sailplane mixes but both got the job done!
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
a young "Old Sloper"
Monrovia, California
Joined Jan 2007
168 Posts
Full span ailerons

I fly my Cularis on a 9c. One thing you will miss with the 7 ch. using a Y connector is the advantage of "full span ailerons". My Cularis will not roll without them. I think you may be able to program "Butterfly" with your 7 ch. which you'll love- it slows the Cularis down so I can put it down anywhere I want. I really like the Cularis, and know you will love it too!.......DJ
imdji is offline Find More Posts by imdji
Old Aug 20, 2007, 04:04 PM
Joined Feb 2006
16 Posts
o.k. dudes
yes , the 7c will do with a full house glider.
no need for any y connectors. taking some advice from each i am happy to tell you that i have everything working including flaps , eilerons , mixers and all. all that is thanks to a good friend of mine who pooled some tricks - so hope to have a test fleight the day after tomorrow. thank you all for your help.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:15 AM
db1
don betz
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2004
571 Posts
So tell us how he did it! Is it as John suggested?db
db1 is offline Find More Posts by db1
Old Aug 21, 2007, 01:43 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Yes, how did he get the flaps done without a Y cable?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 03:11 PM
Karaoke Pro, RC Noob
Joined Apr 2005
317 Posts
I have a CF blade with flaps. Here's what I had to do...

Alierons on 1-7 with flaps on 6-5. Flaperon is ON with AIL-2 set to CH7.

P-MIX1 CH6->5
RT>+100%
>+100%
OFS>SET
MAS>CH6
SLV>CH5
SW>--

P-MIX2
MAS>OFS
SLV>CH6
SW>E
RT+100%

P-MIX3 OFS-->5
RT>100%
MAS>OFS
SLV>CH5
SW>E
toqer is offline Find More Posts by toqer
Old Aug 21, 2007, 04:09 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Very good.

Help me understnad as I am very interested.

You said flapperons are on, which means the aileron channel 1 is going to be mixed to channel 6, the flap channel. When you move 6, does 1 follow? I don't understand how you are using flapperons here.

Looks like ou have flaps on an on/off switch. Flaps are up or flaps are down. Is that correct? Or do you have this controlled by the throttle stick somehow?

Are you able to provide elevator compensation with the flaps?

I am not much of a mix master so I am looking to learn from what you have done. I use the standard mixes on my 9C but I have not had to create any of my own.
Last edited by aeajr; Aug 21, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:28 AM
Joined Feb 2006
16 Posts
he will be with you soon to describe the process, as i asked him to.