HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2005, 10:56 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
First attempt at a micro indoor model.

I'm using Martin's Mono as the plan. I've actually harassed him quite a bit, getting myself all organized and junk. My first attempt at any model, actually. I stumbled upon his website about 1 month ago, and I couldn't resist the urge to try my hand at building my own.

I've got some Plantraco electronics that I hope to put on it.
Micro9 .9g reciever with a 90mAh Bahoma cell. GB03 (4.5ohms geared 5.25:1) for the gearbox. HingeAct .25g actuator for the rudder. CF Prop "4027" (4"x2.7").

I don't have a scale, but my frame weighs close to 2 grams. Add on the .9g reciever, 3g battery, 2.25g gearbox, .2g prop, and .25g actuator.. You're lookin at about 8.6 grams for the AUW. Being my first model, I'm aiming for about 10grams. 8.6 looks much friendlier and I hope I manage it.

Once I figure out how to post images, I'll post a couple pics.
If anyone wants to give me a hint as to how to insert images, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
arclite5 is offline Find More Posts by arclite5
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2005, 11:03 PM
this place rocks!!!
albuquerque,nm
Joined May 2005
223 Posts
when your in the REPLY/NEW TOPIC screen scroll towards the bottom to where it says MANAGE ATTACHMENTS and choose th pics from your machine....LMK if that helps enough
wannafly1 is offline Find More Posts by wannafly1
Old Dec 04, 2005, 12:21 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
Okay great, I'll put up a couple pics as soon as I get home.

I'm not really very proud of my creation, though. It feels as though it was just too easy. Almost as if what I accomplished was trivial and easily achievable by anybody. There was a ton of improvising involved, and I ran into many difficult problems.. But I managed to find my way through it all. I don't know if my doubt is from the fact that I've given Plantraco enough money over the course of the last month to make me cry, though..

Bud did give me a $10 coupon, though.

Plantraco electronics really made this quite straightforward. The most difficult part of building this was learning how to construct an airframe from CF for the very first time. After some unfortunate outcomes, I've managed to become quite adept at building with carbon. Hopefully my next craft will go much smoother and more quickly.

For the record: forming a good even wing with proper dihedral and good aerofoil is an absolutely satisfying experience. Adding the ribs, tieing them in place and watching the heat shrink your covering and make it perfectly smooth is almost like eating ice cream. It's delicious.

I also have a Butterfly whose tail stick has broken about 10 times. Though it may have been balsa when it was shipped, it is now 60% solid CA. The LE of the wing has also given up majority of mass to solidified CA. The upside to adding about .4grams of CA to my Butterfly is that giving High-Five's to my livingroom wall is no longer a *GASP* experience.
Old Dec 04, 2005, 12:31 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
Oh and if anyone could please explain to me the whole idea of how gearboxes work... Ha.

I don't really understand how gearboxes function. Is there a mathematic formula behind it all? I understand that they add torque, by putting more force behind each swing of the prop. What I don't understand is how you match motors with gears, and gearboxes with props. My plane uses a Plantraco GB03 4.5ohm 6mm(5.25:1) with a 4"x2.7" cf prop. For every 5.25 spins of the pinion, the gear spins once. That's what I gather from it? Am I wrong?

Gearboxes are the last mystery for me.

For instance, let's say that I'm going to make a 6gram model. What gearbox and motor should I use and why?

For a 3 gram model I'd just use Plantraco's GB05 because it's already there, but I'm not going to settle for just having materials at my disposal. I've looked around but I'm quite inept at searching forums for how gear systems work

I have my hunches and instinct feelings as to how it works, but I would like someone who is very experience to just flat out tell me.. It's much nicer that way sometimes..
Old Dec 04, 2005, 11:00 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
So here are the pics!
And it does fly =]. Has a rather annoying left turning tendency.. Going to have to adjust the thrust, I think. I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with the CG being slightly to the left side, which is where the battery is.. Gonna try to add a little counterweight on the tip of the opposite wing.
Old Dec 05, 2005, 05:23 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Dec 2005
52 Posts
[QUOTE]I've got some Plantraco electronics that I hope to put on it.
Micro9 .9g reciever with a 90mAh Bahoma cell. GB03 (4.5ohms geared 5.25:1) for the gearbox. HingeAct .25g actuator for the rudder. CF Prop "4027" (4"x2.7").

I'm looking to get the Plantraco set for a Square 9 that I've built. How much space do need to fly your Martins Mono? Nice job by the way.
Druid is offline Find More Posts by Druid
Old Dec 05, 2005, 05:38 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
I'm not entirely sure as to the minimum amount of space I could fly it in. I took it outside today and it flew like a bird. Since it doesn't have a very large amount of wing area, and it weighs 9 grams.. I have to fly it at about 75% throttle for it to maintain level flight. 75% Throttle is approx 10 mph.. Not exactly sure, but in a 14x20 foot room, I was unable to fly. I flew top speed into some walls a few times. I would say you'd need a rather large livingroom or a gym to fly it. At least I do. It seems its minimum turning radius is about 15 feet. I'm not sure how much wing area the Square9 has, but the Mono has about 32 sq. inches.. If the Square9 has more, maybe you could fly it in a more confined space. Though I'm sure you know this.
At 100% throttle, on a fresh battery, it flies at an 80-90 degree angle. YES! Full vertical flight. It does strange things at 90degree flight.. it spins around and flops a little with a breeze.

Much thanks go out to Martin for his design and his advice during my learning process

I took it to a gym earlier today.. I learned a valuable lesson. Turning full rudder for more than a little kick causes a very strong downward curve. Ouch.

Anyway. After seeing that my plane actually flies.. I was very proud!

On a fresh cell, pushing it full throttle and adjusting the path into the wind, you can climb to about 100 feet easily. I could've pushed it higher, but at about 100 feet, I started to lose sight of the detail of the plane, and I could only see a green blob.. Turning is very hard when you can't see which way the plane is facing!

Fun times will be had.
Old Dec 05, 2005, 05:53 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Dec 2005
52 Posts
So should I take that as a strong endorsement of the Plantraco Deluxe set?
Old Dec 05, 2005, 06:27 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
I didn't buy the deluxe set. I already had a Butterfly, so I used my Butterfly tx (Air model 1 tx). I bought the Micro9 rx, HingeAct, GB03 and the CF 4027 prop. I also bought 6 microconnectors 'cuz there's just no sense in buying any less than 6. You'll see why if you go to their price list. You need the connectors to solder your hingeact leads to, to plug into the Micro9. The GB03 comes with a microconnector already attached, conveniently enough.

Deluxe comes with MiniActs which are way too heavy for the Square9 or Martin's Mono.
Old Dec 05, 2005, 07:29 PM
this place rocks!!!
albuquerque,nm
Joined May 2005
223 Posts
do you have a pic of the tail/rudder after you setup all the acuator's??
wannafly1 is offline Find More Posts by wannafly1
Old Dec 05, 2005, 08:06 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Dec 2005
52 Posts
What you did was almost exactly what I had in mind, hinge actuator with mini plug.
Only difference is, I was planning on using the GB05 motor to save a little weight.
Old Dec 05, 2005, 10:40 PM
Thousand Oaks, California
Joined May 2004
338 Posts
Congratulations, Kyle! I'm so glad it flies well. Thanks for letting me participate with you in getting to this point.
--Martin
Martin SJ is offline Find More Posts by Martin SJ
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2005, 10:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
Sure lemme snap a pic of the rudder for you.. This Mono doesn't have an elevator. My next project will.. Should be starting that one soon.

Actually, if you want to save weight, and you have some good soldering skills.. Buy the Micro9 .38g rx. It's smaller and of course lighter, but it doesn't have any sockets to just plug junk into, so you'll have to be very careful soldering. It's a 3ch reciever. They don't have it listed, I don't think.. But it's there. Email them and they'll probably tell you all about it. It costs $85 at bsd, I think.

If you could pull off using the GB05 on your model then go for it.. I'm not sure that it would provide enough thrust, though. You might as well buy a GB04 and a GB03 anyway.. They're relatively cheap geared motors, and you could build other planes with them if you felt like it. You wouldn't want to buy a GB05 and have insufficient thrust, though.

I dunno if this is your first flier or not, but you've gotta post some pics up for me when you're done.. or of what you have done so far!
Last edited by arclite5; Dec 05, 2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2005, 10:46 PM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin SJ
Congratulations, Kyle! I'm so glad it flies well. Thanks for letting me participate with you in getting to this point.
--Martin
Thanks so much! I would have been completely in over my head if it wasn't for your techniques page. Your suppliers page was also absolutely fantastic. I was able to find everything I needed, and learn almost everything necessary to get myself from imagining that I was a micro r/c builder to actually building my own plane.

I'm more fascinated with slow flight than light fliers.. Though the two go hand in hand, (I want a small, slow flier). I will make myself a celine knockoff, I just know it =]
Old Dec 06, 2005, 02:42 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
So I added the landing gear a few minutes ago.
Can't wait to do a couple ROG's in a gym or outside tomorrow!