SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2013, 05:57 AM
Joined May 2011
26 Posts
Discussion
Oshmens Hobbies 1/5 Bike

Hi all,
There's been quite a lot of talk on a european forum about this new bike but as yet i haven't seen anything on here so thought i'd post the link for those that haven't seen it.
I guess the word new is not quite applicable as it borrows heavily from other designs but nether the less it still looks like a good bike.
From the photos i've seen on the manufacturers website and also on forums it does look like the parts/build quality is good with an all carbon and aluminium construction; zoom in on the pictures of the wheels and you'll see the rims are are alu too,nice touch.
Obviously price will vary between countries but the French importer is selling for 440 Euros, approximately $599, which puts it in the same price bracket as the KP14 Super;For me personally the KP14 Super is still looking like the best deal as it includes a set of Roadies tyres.

http://www.oshmenshobbies.com/bike/1...cing-bike.html

With the news that the SB5 Pro is no more it's great to see a new manufacturer producing a bike which can only be good for competition and promoting RC Bikes in general.

Mank
Mank01 is offline Find More Posts by Mank01
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2013, 06:18 AM
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
254 Posts
Good find!
They call it 1/5 RC EP GT913
I've never heard of them and they look the business.
As i thought it's a bit over weight, 1500g net.
The glass fibre fairings(!) must be Heavy up top.
The finishing of the aluminium parts is great and the rear sprocket could probably be used for almost any bike. I wonder about pricing of the spares...
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Nov 27, 2013, 07:13 AM
Joined Dec 2011
254 Posts
A Quick search on google found me this:
http://www.r2hobbies.com/1-5-rc-gt91...-body-kit.html
Prepainted, high gloss body $29,86.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 07:36 AM
Joined May 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_dad View Post
A Quick search on google found me this:
http://www.r2hobbies.com/1-5-rc-gt91...-body-kit.html
Prepainted, high gloss body $29,86.
Body work looks great for a shelf queen but as you say way too heavy to race but besides that kit looks ready to go.

As for the weight it states on the manufacturers site that it's 1500g but it was posted on the french forum that the rolling chassis comes in at 1300g and body work is 120g.

Mank
Old Nov 28, 2013, 02:23 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
656 Posts
Very interesting find!

Clearly someone is watching the different designs that are available, and trying to mix it together.

Altough I am wondering what they are expecting when creating such a bike. Because except for the TT-Bikes, all currently available bikes are built by (and for) enthusiasts, who are aware that this is a small market that will only grow slowly. And even the TT-Bikes are only there, because some enthusiasts talked them into it (as far as I know..).

So why put all the effort in designing and creating something, that will only be sold a few hundred times, if you can just yank out another Car/Boat/Plane that will likely sell in thousands?
And if they are enthusiasts, who are as dedicated to the bikes as most of us are, then why are they not here, discussing their products with us?

However, I am curious if we will see that bike here in europe, and how it will perform.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Nov 28, 2013, 02:51 AM
Joined Dec 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mank01 View Post
~ on the manufacturers site ~
Mank
Do you have a link, please?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 03:13 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
656 Posts
Judging from the "About us" link on their homepage, I'd say "Osmens Hobbies" is the manufacturer, who is now searching for Dealers..
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Nov 28, 2013, 04:03 AM
Joined May 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_dad View Post
Do you have a link, please?
Oshmens Hobbies is the manufacturer and the link included in my original post is the only one I know of mate.

Mank
Old Nov 28, 2013, 05:01 AM
Joined May 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenzwerg View Post
Very interesting find!

Clearly someone is watching the different designs that are available, and trying to mix it together.

Altough I am wondering what they are expecting when creating such a bike. Because except for the TT-Bikes, all currently available bikes are built by (and for) enthusiasts, who are aware that this is a small market that will only grow slowly. And even the TT-Bikes are only there, because some enthusiasts talked them into it (as far as I know..).

So why put all the effort in designing and creating something, that will only be sold a few hundred times, if you can just yank out another Car/Boat/Plane that will likely sell in thousands?
And if they are enthusiasts, who are as dedicated to the bikes as most of us are, then why are they not here, discussing their products with us?

However, I am curious if we will see that bike here in europe, and how it will perform.
Hi Gartenzwerg,
I was pondering the same question recently regarding the low sales figures manufacturers can expect and why it's no surprise TT are discontinuing the majority of their bike models.
At the time i was only considering sales for Europe,USA,Australia&Japan but recently I was speaking with Chris from Mardave who told me that a Chinese RC magazine had featured his Sidecar on the front cover and as a result he'd just shipped the first 100 kits there.With this in mind maybe it's not such a strange decision for a company based in China to release a new model as the sales in that country alone could potentially justify it.

Mank
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:18 PM
España, CL, Ávila
Joined Sep 2008
560 Posts
Quote:

...I was speaking with Chris from Mardave who told me that a Chinese RC magazine had featured his Sidecar on the front cover and as a result he'd just shipped the first 100 kits there.With this in mind maybe it's not such a strange decision for a company based in China to release a new model as the sales in that country alone could potentially justify it.

Mank
Seems that I looked to the wrong market for my products...

I always thought I would sell a lot of my bikes in the USA but this lead to big headaches.

Maybe it's time to look East instead of West...

Who knows.

trf_414_m2 is offline Find More Posts by trf_414_m2
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:30 PM
Guilford, Ct.
Joined Jan 2004
1,420 Posts
Yep. Between the Asian market and the European one, it's clear that to have a solid business model you have to set up distribution with these two localities in mind. It doesn't help that we here in the U.S. are at the furthest points from that customer base.
katana2665 is offline Find More Posts by katana2665
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:52 PM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,783 Posts
Looks like a nice bike. I have emailed them about selling it at 2wheelhobbies.com. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Does someone have a link to the french forum where this bike is discussed?

Bruce
slawsonb is online now Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Nov 28, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined May 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slawsonb View Post
Looks like a nice bike. I have emailed them about selling it at 2wheelhobbies.com. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Does someone have a link to the french forum where this bike is discussed?

Bruce
Hi Bruce,
The main discussion is over at w*w.rcbike.fr but you have to be a member of the forum to view any posts.

Mank
Old Nov 28, 2013, 05:28 PM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,783 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bruce,
The main discussion is over at w*w.rcbike.fr but you have to be a member of the forum to view any posts.

Mank
Thanks Mank. I signed up for an account but I still need to be approved by the administrator.

Bruce
slawsonb is online now Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Dec 04, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Apr 2007
470 Posts
Having bought a GT913...here are my thoughts on it..

Its a nice bike with good carbon and alloy parts...but you have to do a bit of work to get it upto a race spec bike...here is what I have done...

The front forks it comes with are ok,but need work..so I have fitted some super KP forks (some of the best on the market )...I also fitted the KP fron brake,as the standard one has a Carbon disc,and pads...much to powerfull,and to 'grabby'

Have fitted roadies tyres/rims....the standard rims are alloy SB5 rims,nice,but I don't use these rims anymore,did not try the tyres it came with,(no inserts supplied)...also because the rims are SB5,the hubs have a different offset if you want to fit roadies,so a bit of shimming etc is needed to get them central.

Rear body post is to low,so moved that were the scratch bar was,and moved scratch bar back,as felt it was to far forward (supplied scratch bar is 4mm,so drilled out holders to 6mm to accept KP scratch bars.

Rear subframe broke in crash,so cut that off..not really needed...

Standard rear shock not good,replaced with a ZH racing rear shock.
Layshaft is 5mm not 6mm,so not universal to other bikes,so other spur holders/pulleys wont fit...
Again I think its a good bike,..ideal for car park bashing.....but if you want a race ready bike,without the hassle of changing parts etc (I was lucky,i had these parts to hand)i would consider the KP14 etc

symon is offline Find More Posts by symon