HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SoloProFan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:28 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Mysterious motor over heating

This came up elsewhere, so I thought this was a great place to mention it.

@ Solo, I'm very certain that you can articulate this much better than I.

Some have said, "I haven't changed anything on my car, and there's no binding anywhere, but the motor is getting really hot now".

If at any time you have gotten your motor hot enough (and missed it) to damage the magnets, run it at or close to it's thermal limits over time, or for any reason the magnets have been damaged, the motor will have to work harder and get hotter. Which will cause more damage, which will make it run hotter, which will cause more damage, which.....well you get the picture.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2013, 02:44 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Good addition, once a motor gets too hot, it indeed gets into a sort of death spiral, the lost power in the magnets will cause it to heat up even faster the next run, with bigger chance to get it to overheat again, causing more permanent damage to the magnets, and the process goes from bad to worse. I'll add this to the FAQ for sure. And nothing wrong with your choice of words, it's perfectly clear what you meant. ;-)
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:05 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
What mat also be relevant is that less efficient motors (usually the less expensive ones) with same ratings as pricey one, will typically turn that lack of efficiency into heat.

The thought crossed crossed my mind, so I'm just putting it out there.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:00 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Keep putting those thoughts out, there are quite a few more things that I think should be in this attempted FAQ, but either have slipped my mind or I just don't know these yet.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 04:17 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Updated a few things.

Please keep coming with suggestions for things to cover in this FAQ.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:40 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Another relatively simple thing that seems to get overlooked quite often and can cause or lead to various issues is........Balance your wheels!!!!! Even if your car/truck isn't a speedster.

I had a stock wheel (out of the box) so far out of balance (took almost 7gms to balance it), it would start to bounce @ around 15-20mph. Then two more would chime in @ around 30-35mph. Besides causing the handling to be less than desirable (to say the least), it's very hard on just about every part on your car/truck.

Even after you get them balanced, you may need to recheck them from time to time due to dirt and/or water inside, or balancing weight getting knocked off.

Also, it's not a bad idea to purchase tires and wheels separately so you can tape them. Even at slower speeds, minimizing ballooning (even if it's not real bad) will improve handling in general.

People do lots of upgrades, improvements, and such to their cars/trucks, but completely forget to do simple wheel balancing.

@solo, I looked through the FAQ page and didn't see any mention of this area. Pardon me if I overlooked something
Old Sep 22, 2013, 03:43 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
I thought I had added this, as wheel balance is something I check for always, even on new cars. But it is indeed still not there, will add it asap.

Edit: added!
Last edited by SoloProFan; Sep 22, 2013 at 04:01 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2013, 10:24 AM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
611 Posts
This is brilliant work Solo, Thank you so much for putting the time into it. Maybe Paul can make it a sticky?
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2013, 12:19 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
This is brilliant work Solo, Thank you so much for putting the time into it. Maybe Paul can make it a sticky?
Thanks. It's pleasure combining this info from personal experience, and what I have learned the past time, and help others a little in the right direction.
Old Nov 09, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2013
11 Posts
This is a wonderful resource. As someone who is lightly getting back into the hobby, it is a great place to learn about all things I don't know! Well done.
RunSMK is offline Find More Posts by RunSMK
Old Nov 09, 2013, 03:11 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSMK View Post
This is a wonderful resource. As someone who is lightly getting back into the hobby, it is a great place to learn about all things I don't know! Well done.
Thanks, glad to hear this is considered helpful. I tried to add some more info today, I still think some essential bits are missing here and there.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 05:18 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Update, shifted some content between first and second posting in this thread, to group things better together, and added some content.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 09:49 AM
United States, WA, St John
Joined Jun 2012
611 Posts
Another idea for more content might be to tackle the "I want a kit" question that pops up pretty frequently. If you want I could put something together and send it to you for approval and inclusion into this. Strictly up to you tho
Jimmy the Heater is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy the Heater
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2013, 01:40 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Another idea for more content might be to tackle the "I want a kit" question that pops up pretty frequently. If you want I could put something together and send it to you for approval and inclusion into this. Strictly up to you tho
You know, that was in the back of my mind after posting in the most recent topic about this question, but I also wanted to add some other things, and this slipped away from my mind.

I will add this question asap, but feel free to post some suggestions in this topic should you find something missing from the question about kits.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 01:43 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,924 Posts
Updated the section about diffs, and added "how to prevent wheelies" to the first posting, suspension setup subchapter.