HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:19 PM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Hmm...i've got only one concern....anyone know how well the MCPX tail motors hold up? I dont want to be replacing them for $14 every single month....
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:18 PM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
Hmm...i've got only one concern....anyone know how well the MCPX tail motors hold up? I dont want to be replacing them for $14 every single month....
All of the planes in this photo were flown on the same motor (moved from one model to the next). I have been flying several generations of these designs for weeks on that same motor. I tested a nano sized X32 on that same motor. Thus far I have had zero issues with this motor BUT i do not think 100% power 100% of the time is a good idea. These planes fly well at 50% power with flight times close to 10min. You can find 6mm clones of this motor on Ebay right now for $4.99.

Spot the DF-727 that did not make the cut as a kit? I am still working out the bugs on the 727 but doubt it will be offered anytime soon.

Bert
DynamicFoamy is offline Find More Posts by DynamicFoamy
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Customer Support Forum
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:11 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
United States, GA, Buford
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
You guys realize that all 6mm motors aren't the same right? Stick with what is recommended since the ohm are unknown.
boredom.is.me is offline Find More Posts by boredom.is.me
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RFD900 Case
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:26 PM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredom.is.me View Post
You guys realize that all 6mm motors aren't the same right? Stick with what is recommended since the ohm are unknown.
Thanks for the post. I have read that the clones do not produce as much thrust, but for $5 I thought it was worth a look.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
oh okay thanks. Should be good then. 727 didn't work? Dang, that would of been awesome if it did!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:58 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicFoamy View Post
Thanks for the post. I have read that the clones do not produce as much thrust, but for $5 I thought it was worth a look.
They definitely are not clones. They are just made for a different purpose. Remember, these motors originally came from pagers, cell phones, and other related devices, hence why we call them pager motors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:39 PM
Joined May 2011
4,407 Posts
Okay...so i really want to get this plane this weekend, but all i have is $36. Now the plane itself is $25 shipped to PA.....so i can only spend a max of $11 shipped for the motor. Anyone know of a place i can get the mcpx motor for that cheap?
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:00 AM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
226 Posts
Quote:
They definitely are not clones. They are just made for a different purpose. Remember, these motors originally came from pagers, cell phones, and other related devices, hence why we call them pager motors.
Yes, got it! I now consider myself slightly more educated on the matter. But not speaking in broad generalities here, what is your first hand experience with these “pager motors”? Are there any particular sellers or brands that you could recommend for RC use (or brands to stay away from)? Even if they are slightly “under powered” I would still be interested (not for this application but something else in development). I have been looking at the HK MCPx type heli’s and their replacement tail motors but have seen mixed reviews.

Bert
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:35 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
OK, $60 is a bit much for a PArkzone brick. Anybody thought about using the board from the WLtoys V911 heli? Just ignore the rudder channel. You get an ESC and two real servos with arms. Will it fit? Plus it's $13. This will bind with the Turnigy 9x radio.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...s-p-38688.html
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:00 AM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
OK, $60 is a bit much for a PArkzone brick. Anybody thought about using the board from the WLtoys V911 heli? Just ignore the rudder channel. You get an ESC and two real servos with arms. Will it fit? Plus it's $13. This will bind with the Turnigy 9x radio.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Wl...s-p-38688.html
Good question? It does look heavy, could not find specs on weight? Maybe I should not comment about the PZ brick vs. other bricks as I have not tried the latter of the two. BUT, I have been using my same PZ bricks for years now without any problems. They have excellent range and resolution is very good.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:02 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
Neat!
Would make a fun winter indoor flyer!
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:26 PM
Micro Boat Forum Founder
Joined Nov 2007
6,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamicFoamy View Post
Yes, got it! I now consider myself slightly more educated on the matter. But not speaking in broad generalities here, what is your first hand experience with these “pager motors”? Are there any particular sellers or brands that you could recommend for RC use (or brands to stay away from)? Even if they are slightly “under powered” I would still be interested (not for this application but something else in development). I have been looking at the HK MCPx type heli’s and their replacement tail motors but have seen mixed reviews.

Bert
I use the larger 7mm and 8.4mm in micro boats and hovercraft. I do not deal with 6mm motors, but they all follow the same principle of ohm (you understand what I mean).
- the lower the ohms, the hotter the motor - How hot the motor is is just a way to relate it to its rpm... something like the kv rating of a brushless motor.
- the trade off is that amp draw goes up a little

You can use this as a general guide.

I just remembered...
The 6mm found in the J3 is reported to be the hottest (lowest ohm) motor used by all the parkzone micros. It may even be the same as what's on the mCPX tail. If anything is worth trying as a viable replacement, it is the J3 motor. Any place that sells Horizon products should have it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:39 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,028 Posts
The J3 motor is a powerful 6mm coreless; more so than stock vapor motor

I have some around

Hmmm
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,698 Posts
Well I have been meaning to order a 911 brick to fly in a micro model in zero wind. It won't have the AS3X system, but that cost money! Couldn't hurt to try, but the servos look a bit heavy. I will order a brick once I place my order for the new WL toys 939 quad that is due out soon. I assume the brushed ESC and 2 servos is adequate, but I don't want to use the MCPX tail motor and need something cheaper! Maybe the solo pro tail motor. I am about to have a used one available to me. What is used for the prop? Is the foamy kit just the pieces of foam? Is there any hardware? And can I get a UPS plane? I work for UPS.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:32 PM
Ohio
Joined Nov 2007
226 Posts
Quote:
I use the larger 7mm and 8.4mm in micro boats and hovercraft. I do not deal with 6mm motors, but they all follow the same principle of ohm (you understand what I mean).
- the lower the ohms, the hotter the motor - How hot the motor is is just a way to relate it to its rpm... something like the kv rating of a brushless motor.
- the trade off is that amp draw goes up a little

You can use this as a general guide.

I just remembered...
The 6mm found in the J3 is reported to be the hottest (lowest ohm) motor used by all the parkzone micros. It may even be the same as what's on the mCPX tail. If anything is worth trying as a viable replacement, it is the J3 motor. Any place that sells Horizon products should have it.
Thanks for the info!!!!!!!! I will try the J3 for sure.
Site Sponsor