HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2010, 05:07 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
I'm a RealFlight user mostly, and if you have that, you are welcome to train with me on there, for more advanced stuff.
Great idea!! I'm sure there are lots of folks who would appreciate having a RealFlight training school. By all means start up a thread and get those rotors spinning.
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:36 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
50th CELEBRATION !!

Student enrollment gone over the 50th mark!! Hong Kong and the Philippines added to the roster. Thanks everyone for encouragements and endorsements and comments.

CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2010, 01:02 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1 Posts
Many thanks for an eye-opening and invaluable training session today!

Looking forward to the next awesome lessons
mikedaj is offline Find More Posts by mikedaj
Old Aug 22, 2010, 01:40 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Feb 2007
846 Posts
Better flying now

I have had two sessions with CaptJac, and as each of his other 49 students know already, his training is fantastic. I wish I was progressing faster, but my progress is positive. I'm even feeling like I'm flying my actual heli better now that I'm trying to fly my box pattern just like when I'm practicing.

Thanks again to CaptJac.

The bladecrasher...Rick
Blade Crasher is online now Find More Posts by Blade Crasher
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:57 AM
USA, GA, Warner Robins
Joined Jun 2009
165 Posts
Capt Jac,
Regarding the flyin, that's a great idea! Instead of using skype, you could use Ventrillo, which allows a more user friendly group session. It would be awesome!
Terrk is offline Find More Posts by Terrk
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:42 PM
LOOK MOM! TEN THUMBS!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Aug 2009
471 Posts
Capt. Jac, Pm inbound.
desertdweller is offline Find More Posts by desertdweller
Old Aug 23, 2010, 11:59 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrk View Post
Capt Jac,
Regarding the flyin, that's a great idea! Instead of using skype, you could use Ventrillo, which allows a more user friendly group session. It would be awesome!
Skype can handle group sessions just fine - not sure that's true for training though. Talking and kibitzing isn't real conducive for concentration - and student and teacher alike need as much concentration as they can get learning to fly heli's.

Maybe you could get something going with Ventrillo for a group fly-in? What I read it is free to use up to 8 users. Thanks for volunteering !!!

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CaptJac; Aug 23, 2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 11:49 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
training update -

Learning some good training exercises - so are my students. One of the problems on a simulator is depth perception. Only real reference point for distance is size - so a flying site with lots of markings helps a lot. Been using Kambah field for closeup hover training but for box pattern exercises and 90 degree turns and flat figure 8's needed a few more parallel lines on the ground. Installed a new flying site called carpark with parking spaces outlined in white. Parallel line paradise!! Only thing missing is the meter maid.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2010, 01:11 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Can you set the angle of the sun? If you set it directly overhead, you can use the shadow when you're hovering. I find that it's not something you have to think about, and it can actually be disorienting if the sun is set at a steep angle. On RealFlight, there is a basketball court type area, which is really great for learning to hover, because it has lines, and it has a clear area you have to stay in, and you are "punished" for violating it. I find that helps reset your mind so you can learn from your error instead of flying it out. If Phoenix has an area like that, it might be fun to try!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 06, 2010, 05:50 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2002
488 Posts
CaptJac, I just read the entire thread and want to thank you for volunteering. I have been away from the hobby for some time now and am looking forward to getting back into it, starting with planes and working my way up to helis. When I left the hobby about 8 years ago, I had a Corona electric heli and never really got the hang of flying it but I did get really good at fixing it though! LOL.. Nice job and keep up the good work! As soon as I can I will get a sim. and hopefully join you for a lesson (or 20!)

Paul
Paul5910 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5910
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:58 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul5910 View Post
As soon as I can I will get a sim. and hopefully join you for a lesson (or 20!)Paul
Hi Paul - one lesson or 20 - glad to have you aboard. Let me know when you ready to go and we'll preflight Phoenix and get those rotors spinning.

captJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:41 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
2,044 Posts
back from holiday -

and ready to resume training. Thanks to everyone for letting me sneak away to the Canary Islands for a couple weeks. I was prepared to train in the sun (with my laptop) but only did an hour training. Now all I have to do is figure out where the on-off switch is on these little whirly things ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:02 AM
Joined May 2010
1 Posts
I have a fruitful class with CaptJac last week. It is really helpful and I want can fly a real heli model in near future.
Thanks, CaptJac
thomas_choy is offline Find More Posts by thomas_choy
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:56 PM
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,225 Posts
CaptJac is great, just got my first lesson from him this weekend. He is patient and very detail.
Torch8 is online now Find More Posts by Torch8
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:33 AM
Noobness
United States, MN, Maplewood
Joined Jan 2010
52 Posts
Hi CaptJac! I'm a beginner, really need help, 1/2 trough building a 450. Getting skype now, hope you can take on another student!
ShortBtwnHdset is offline Find More Posts by ShortBtwnHdset