SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
Old Jan 20, 2015, 03:39 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,313 Posts
Help!
airplane resetting problems...where to check first?

I just finished putting together a foamie and I have some type of electrical problems. The electronics seem to be resetting after being turned on. It can happen for no real reason or when I try to move the airplane or test the elevons. It will act like it is first plugged into the battery...the servos may jitter then a beep then I have full control again. I have not really had this problem before.

I am thinking that it is probably the ESC, RX, antenna or any break in the power. I am using a known good 1300 battery. No problems with the transmitter a JR 6102. The RX was good, but was pulled out of a glider when it hit a tree. The ESC is a older 18 size that I have not used before. The antenna seems to be in contact with the RX. It could be a bad solder joint, but I have not had that problem before. The servos are new, but cheap....maybe they are drawing too much current, would that make the electronics reset?

So where would you look first? I have not problem with replacing any of the components, but where should I start.

Thanks for any insight before I start to reassemble everything,
Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2015, 03:53 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,948 Posts
JR6102 sound like an old 72MHz TX and you don't say what RX you have. Or what ESC. Details are important.

But if it is on 72MHz and you pulled the RX out of a crashed model there's a fair chance the RX crystal is bad. That can cause symptoms like you're seeing.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 22, 2015, 03:19 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
JR6102 sound like an old 72MHz TX and you don't say what RX you have. Or what ESC. Details are important.

But if it is on 72MHz and you pulled the RX out of a crashed model there's a fair chance the RX crystal is bad. That can cause symptoms like you're seeing.

Steve
Hi Steve,

I think you are correct in the crystal being bad. It is a 72MHz system. I pulled the receiver and crystal out of the airplane and replaced it with another. The problem seems to have gone away! I hope it stays away.

It could be the RX antenna, receiver or the crystal that was causing the problems. I will probably not know the problem as long as everything is working.

Thanks Steve,
Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:58 PM
WJH
United States, FL, Spring Hill
Joined Aug 2005
585 Posts
How close is the TX to the RX when you test it? Step back about 6 ft and test it. If your too close, you can experience this.
WJH is offline Find More Posts by WJH
Closed Thread