SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2002, 09:37 PM
Houston, Texas US
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
Flying with gyro's

This is my first heli with a gyro,...I have a hornet that came with an icg180,...I believe I have read that the best for of course weight and size is the gy240....one HH the other not, respectively.
Correct me if I am wrong!

My primary question is while learnig to fly will it be easier to do coordinated turns without the HH gyro?...Because if I use heading hold, when I turn won't I have to fly the tail around?
Another input to do while learning. Yes.....no.....

But if I understand correctly can't I go ahead with the HH-GY-240 and turn HH off?

Mike G
Mike Giles is offline Find More Posts by Mike Giles
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2002, 09:42 PM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
Hello

If you get the GY240 you will not have to worry about the tail.

I would just leave it in HH mode, that is after you get your linkages set up correctly. You have to do this in standard mode and what you do is make sure the tail-pitch slider moves th entire length of the tail shaft and when the rudder stick is center the pitch of the tail blades is zero. After this turn the gyro to HH mode and for get about it.

I have this gyro in my Eco 8 and it is really good.

Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
Old Feb 14, 2002, 03:52 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Just remember that in HH the tail will not follow the heli through a turn (weathervane) you will have to use rudder (TR) to turn.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Feb 14, 2002, 08:25 AM
Houston, Texas US
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
Fred,

That is what I am getting at....now correct me if I am wrong...if I put a HH gyro on but turn HH off..and I am assuming I can,...then the heli will fly a turn like "an airplane" so to speak and I will not have to apply a rudder input to do the turn and recover to level flight???????

Thanks,
Mike G
Old Feb 14, 2002, 09:32 AM
Los Altos, CA
Joined Jul 2001
71 Posts
Might as well leave the HH on and "fly the tail" which is a good habit to have anyhow. Here's what you may have to deal with otherwise:

Although the tail will weathervane without HH, it will do so asymmetrically depending on how your revo mixing is setup. If you have revo mix setup for hovering, then you will need to "fly the tail" a little bit on turns going opposite the main blade rotation direction (for clockwise rotors, left turns will need a little left tail input to make the turns look the same as right turns).

A proper way to "defeat" this asymmetry is to fly a different idle up curve during forward flight and minimize or disable revo mix, and adjust the offset so the tail pitch is locked in a position that would make the heli feel symmetrical.

A good pilot will almost always fly the tail regardless how the heli is setup, so might as well use HH.
cchan is offline Find More Posts by cchan
Old Feb 14, 2002, 11:46 AM
Houston, Texas US
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
Flying the Tail

Thanks for the inputs gentlemen, anything you might think of adding please do. I am taking the Hornet airborne on Saturday.
I have the tail and main rotor set to a point I would consider almost zero slop and backlash...I know by this forum that those items are very important.

I am not very patient, but I have been flying for 20 years (fixed wing) some rotor a LONG time ago, I realize that even with this experience and the RealFlight that this is going to be difficult,. but fun.

I remember back 20 years ago when I was flying in the Air Force, that back then the guy's that were going to helicopters were pulled from fixed wing as soon as they could solo. They did this to minimize the amount of fixed wing habit before they put them in something that approaches Physics denial.

Thanks,
Mike G
Old Feb 14, 2002, 05:06 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Sounds like us flying model helis.

You will find the same thing, the wing habits will bite you !

Just remeber not to chop the throttle when in trouble!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Feb 14, 2002, 05:59 PM
Newport Coast, Ca
Joined Feb 2002
19 Posts
Eco8Gator,
You say set it up so that your tail blades are 0 at neutral rudder stick.. I always set the tail blade pitch so that the heli barely yaws when the rudder stick is neutral.

Is your way better?
W. Cole is offline Find More Posts by W. Cole
Old Feb 14, 2002, 08:10 PM
Houston, Texas US
Joined Jan 2002
74 Posts
Fred and the rest of you guys,

Thanks for the help, I am sure I will need more after saturday.
I will have my brother to take a film so I can post it.
I will report back after throttle up on saturday.

Oh by the way Fred, I noticed when I first started using RealFlight
that when I got into trouble I chopped,..not pulled back, but, chopped the throttle...it was Tango Uniform everytime.

Mike