SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 15, 2014, 05:49 AM
Gold Coast Coolangata, Australia
Joined Nov 2003
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochoot View Post
Finally got a chance to fly today. No wind and empty field. Spent a lot of time mechanically trimming plane and very happy with it again. First battery just cruising around after a little over 10 minutes read 11.87 when I connected to the charger.
How many mah did your charger say it put back? The voltage you reported is like 3.95v/cell so this does not make sense. You need to check the pack's individual cell voltages with a separate voltage monitor since when you place them in a charger they are already getting amps-in so they will read higher than they would just after the flight.

With 3s2200 packs I suggest 7-8 minute runtimes on hard/med acro flying is about right. Packs should end up ~3.75-3.8v/cell. Your charger should be putting back ~1650-1750 mah back into the pack (~75-80% discharge level).

Of course if you are just barely flying it around, maybe even coasting it like a Bixler (electric glider) you may get more runtime but I don't think too many guys would find this a lot of fun imho.
TomC is offline Find More Posts by TomC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:12 AM
United States, IN, Valparaiso
Joined Sep 2013
436 Posts
857 mah put back in on 3s 2200. Of course, its highly dependent on style of flying. Just posting in response to a question asked.
dochoot is offline Find More Posts by dochoot
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:22 PM
Joined Mar 2013
206 Posts
Battery life is very dependent on your flying style. The battery will last a lot longer if you're just cruising around at half throttle, for example.

I think that's surprising in this thread only because the ArtiZan is designed for a more aggressive style of flying. Spending most of the flight near full throttle and doing aerobatics, I'm only getting 6-7 minutes out of a 2200 mAh battery.

The nice thing about this hobby is that there are many ways to enjoy it. The only wrong way to fly is to make unexpected contact with the ground.

The ArtiZan is a fantastic plane! It rides like it's on rails. The airframe seems to work perfectly in conjunction with an AS3X receiver, as it does a great job of holding whatever roll or pitch angle you put it in, including inverted flight. Someone at my club field made the comment that watching it in the air looks like watching a plane on a simulator. It even handles some wind better than I'd expect for its size.
flightengr is offline Find More Posts by flightengr
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:12 AM
Joined Mar 2013
206 Posts
I just downloaded the new ArtiZan model for Phoenix flight simulator. It requires the latest version update (5.0.r) so you need to download that too if you haven't done that already.

The sim experience is OK, but I think it's very nose heavy and therefore harder to fly than the real thing. Even at full throttle it wants to drop the nose, and when inverted it still wants to drop the nose toward the ground (so it's not an elevator problem). Has anyone else tried it yet? I know the models can be adjusted in a bunch of different ways so I'm sure there's a way to change the CG and improve it.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 08:58 PM
Joined Mar 2013
206 Posts
Found a solution to the Phoenix problem.

Select the ArtiZan. Then edit the model. Go down to the "Stabiliser" section. Open that up, and then go to the values for Trim. Change both min and max from 0.0 to -1.5.

With that change, the plane will keep itself reasonably level around 80% throttle. At 100% throttle it has very slight lift.

I messed with the location of the CG for a while, and that didn't help. I also tried changing the angle of incidence of the rear stab (also to -1.5), and that made it fly better in normal orientation but worse when inverted.

Whenever you edit a model, it will immediately make a second instance of that model called "Copy". So when you save the changes, you'll be changing a model called "Copy" under the ArtiZan. So if you add this model to your favorites, be sure to add the "Copy" version to the favorites and not the original version.

The sim could still use the benefit of AS3X. My real ArtiZan will hold any roll angle you choose quite well. The sim has a tendency to drop a wing and enter a bit of a roll without any aileron input at unexpected moments.
Last edited by flightengr; Oct 16, 2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 03:01 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
I just downloaded the new ArtiZan model for Phoenix flight simulator. It requires the latest version update (5.0.r) so you need to download that too if you haven't done that already.

The sim experience is OK, but I think it's very nose heavy and therefore harder to fly than the real thing. Even at full throttle it wants to drop the nose, and when inverted it still wants to drop the nose toward the ground (so it's not an elevator problem). Has anyone else tried it yet? I know the models can be adjusted in a bunch of different ways so I'm sure there's a way to change the CG and improve it.
I've set the model to 100% realism (always do). I'm not sure what it changes in the model dynamics but it reduces its tendency to drop the nose.

In the sim it seems slightly underpowered as in lacking vertical climbing ability though. Is it true for the real model? (I found Phoenix RC a bit greedy in that department for other models).
RyoOhki1701 is offline Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:36 AM
Joined Mar 2013
206 Posts
I just changed the Model > Physical > Setup from 50% to 100%. That seems to help with the wings dipping, but it's still too nose heavy without my other adjustment to the stab trim. I don't notice a lot of difference otherwise. How can a plane be "50% real"? Isn't that 100% unreal?

As for the vertical climb rate, I'd say that the sim is a little slower that the real thing. That said, based on what I've seen at the field, my ArtiZan doesn't have as much power in a climb as other aerobatic planes. Since the ArtiZan is designed to be an intro to aerobatics for someone who's used to scale or warbirds, I don't think it's supposed to be as fast as some of the other sport planes out there. Instead, it does have great stability at any speed.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 07:47 AM
if pigs could fly!
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Feb 2013
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightengr View Post
I just changed the Model > Physical > Setup from 50% to 100%. That seems to help with the wings dipping, but it's still too nose heavy without my other adjustment to the stab trim. I don't notice a lot of difference otherwise. How can a plane be "50% real"? Isn't that 100% unreal?
I'm not sure what Phoenix does with the realism thing. It just irks me all models are set up with 50% realism by default, I'm purchasing a sim to be realistic, not some kind of arcade feel-better-than-you-really-are video game thingy. That, piling up real life experience and the many releases since v5 came out made me use it a lot less over the past year.

On bigger aerobatics/3D gas planes I felt it pushes the CG backwards from the elevator response I got with both settings.

thanks for the real life feedback on the ArtiZan
RyoOhki1701 is offline Find More Posts by RyoOhki1701
Old Oct 19, 2014, 08:56 AM
Joined Mar 2013
206 Posts
I've also been disappointed with the un-reality of Phoenix 5, especially with helis. I think Phoenix 4 was a lot better in that regard. They had to redesign the physics engine to add smarts to the models such as SAFE, and it just isn't the same. It was really bad when version 5 first came out and they have worked very hard to fix it (as evidenced by the fact we're on version 5.0.r already). But since I discovered this ArtiZan model and figured out how to improve it, I've spent more time with Phoenix in the last few days than I have in months. The ArtiZan model is fairly close to the real thing.
Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I had a couple questions about batteries for the Artizan. I'm looking at getting some Turnigy Nano-Techs, probably 1800mAh, but aren't sure about what C rating to get. It comes in a 25C and a 65C. The 25C is a little under the 30C battery that came with the plane, so I wasn't sure if that would reduce flight performance at all, or if the current draw is too much and would cause the LiPo to puff. And then would it be better to get the 65C anyway? Thanks in advance for the help.
Adam592 is online now Find More Posts by Adam592
Old Today, 06:46 AM
Joined Mar 2013
206 Posts
Personally, I'd go higher with the C rating than stock instead of lower. So between those two choices, I'd go with the 65C.

I've been running either E-Flite batteries (good track record, but a little expensive) or Admiral batteries from MotionRC.com. I've had good luck with the Admirals, too, and they're quite a bit cheaper than E-Flite.
http://www.motionrc.com/admiral-1800...-lipo-battery/
The only drawback to the Admirals is that they have Deans Plug or "T" connectors, so you need an adapter somewhere to get it to connect to the EC3 connector on the plane, such as http://www.motionrc.com/ec3-female-t...-male-adapter/.

And for what it's worth, 3S 2200 mAh batteries fit in the Artizan and last a little longer. As I said in an earlier post, I get about 6-7 minutes out of a 2200.
Old Today, 08:29 AM
Joined Aug 2014
8 Posts
Alright, that makes sense, I'll go with the 65C then. But I'll definitely look into the Admiral batteries. Does the extra weight of a 2200mAh make a difference as far as flying characteristics go?
Adam592 is online now Find More Posts by Adam592
Old Today, 11:31 AM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam592 View Post
Does the extra weight of a 2200mAh make a difference as far as flying characteristics go?
Nope
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Today, 01:05 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam592 View Post
Alright, that makes sense, I'll go with the 65C then. But I'll definitely look into the Admiral batteries. Does the extra weight of a 2200mAh make a difference as far as flying characteristics go?
65C is way beyond what the Artizan needs.
It only has a 960Kv motor, PN: PKZ4416 (exact motor that is on the Sport Cub & others).
Anything past 30C is a waste of money.
The 65C will weigh more & more expensive (save your money)

I have flown my Artizan on both 30C & 50C batteries & see no difference in performance.

Even 25C batts. will do fine.

These are the batteries i use most of the time (never get hot & no puffing at all).
I also use the 1800's some.
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...0mah-3s-t.html

At full throttle with a fresh battery, i only get a maximum reading of 23 amps on a bench test (it will be less than that when it is flying)
The motor is only rated for 30 amps sustained max.
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
Last edited by Clive66; Today at 04:07 PM.