HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 20, 2014, 07:22 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,697 Posts
We'd like to ship a container of our kits to the UK if there's an order placed by someone with GWS.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2014, 07:40 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
209 Posts
Been a couple of months since I wrote on this thread, Today I was looking through all the old suppliers and by chance noticed that ServoShop had a GWS EPO AT6 Harvard, also a P38. everything else was discontinued..... It is with much smugness I report to the collective that I purchased one of the last GWS models available in the UK at this present time.The GWS Harvard.If anyone is interested, RC Modelcentre has a GWS J 10 but the P38 was discontinued when I last looked about 10 minutes ago.

regards all

Gordon
gordynic is offline Find More Posts by gordynic
Old Apr 12, 2014, 08:49 PM
United States, MO, Raymore
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Gordon, I feel your pain. It is about the same in the USA. I was looking for a EPO AT6 Harvard about four weeks ago and I had to reach out Gladston's RC in the UK for it. I am still searching for an EPO FW-190.

Como
Como is online now Find More Posts by Como
Old Apr 13, 2014, 06:28 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Como View Post
Gordon, I feel your pain. It is about the same in the USA. I was looking for a EPO AT6 Harvard about four weeks ago and I had to reach out Gladston's RC in the UK for it. I am still searching for an EPO FW-190.

Como
LOL I've got a half finished 109 up in my loft, if you do get one, the ST models spinner with the cooling fan looks great , I was a bit apprehensive about finishing and flying it, so I stopped and put it away for latte r. It may stay away for a bit longer, until I retire and have the time to lavish the attention that it deserves, plus it is now something of a rare model the last thing I want to do is fly it and crash it. the AT6 is still in the box and is also going to be a long term project...... This all started again because I couldn't get my hands on a GWS Islander

Gordon
Old Apr 15, 2014, 05:56 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
209 Posts
Thanks Como,
the PM you sent had the address of 308 models (a shop that I bought a PAW diesel motor from , must be 30 odd years ago) anyway, the GWS Islander that I have been trying to find for the last 2 years is now winging (sic) its way to me, I now have a GWS AT6 slope glider version surplus to requirements , the parts have been removed from the poly bags so I could check them the bags are still there, but not sealed, I am offering it for sale on this site first for the same price and postage I paid. anyone interested should PM me asap, I will however take a plaster of paris mould from the cowl first, I need to manufacture one for my old harvard and they are not available over here any more
I would not have this urge for the Islander were it not for Foam and Tape getting me addicted to building and flying Twins
Old Apr 17, 2014, 06:28 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,959 Posts
I recently came across an eps fw190 that I bought in 2007 and I am currently mid build (I've posted pics in the 190 thread) so I went looking to see if i could pick up an epo version due to the better foam, and to my surprise they are nowhere to be found in the UK? what on earth happened? as gws kits are great and are good value for money for sure! if I had the cash I'd definitely look into taking a container load of kits over to sell on! I suppose this lack of sales is the cause of no new gws models to be released for a while?

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old Apr 18, 2014, 02:49 AM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
209 Posts
Hi Phil, saw your build on the other thread , looking good. My190 is the epo version, I may slip up the loft and take a couple of photos , especially around the motor mount area, where I have improvised a tube and screw type mount I ran it up with the ST spinner and the 3 blade prop but it felt like the motor was over heating, a bigger motor perhaps..... with regards to the availability of GWS kits in the UK, they are getting as rare as rocking horse poop these days
Last edited by gordynic; Apr 23, 2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 01:54 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
209 Posts
so my Islander, (the last one available in uk ) arrived today.Eagerly opened the box to find 2 ducted fans and eps cowls.... dissapointed? me? the fans will go onto a depron citation or something like it, I was always going to fit these bad boys in any case
Old May 08, 2014, 03:47 PM
FLY PEMBREY (PFC)
Wales (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
409 Posts
So what has happened to GWS ... why are they not manufacturing anymore?

used to have loads of them ... and had a few chats with Mr Lin ... dont think Ive been in here for 7 years prior to this post lol .... may be longer

what happened to Mr Lin?
milky2971 is offline Find More Posts by milky2971
Old May 08, 2014, 04:19 PM
veni,vidi, roto volubilis
Aberdeen, Scotland
Joined Jul 2003
6,959 Posts
mr lin is still about, though his profile shows hasn't logged in since february. imo the main problem GWS had was opening this very GWS subforum, as once they did people stopped posting about their models in the parkflyer and sports/warbirds forums, and as such most newbies stopped seeing them with only those in the know coming to visit here. as they make very good models and products at a very fair price so should have continued their success, also the global recession didn't help many companies either. i'm still hoping they are still making their existing models as i'm in need of a replacement spitfire and corsair, so i'm going to try out the 'lonely birds' service

phil
Happy|Harry is offline Find More Posts by Happy|Harry
Old May 11, 2014, 09:53 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,697 Posts
Hi Milky2971 & Phil,

GWS is still here in Taipei, Taiwan. We still produce many servos, propellers and other stuffs for our clients worldwide, and we still have many airplane kits in stock now, they are A-10, Cargotrans, Pico Stick, Pico Tiger Moth, Tiger Moth 400, PT-17, BN-2, Spitfire, Zero, Me-109, P-51D, Corsair, FW-190, P-40, AT-6, GWS-38, A-4, J-10 and GWS-15. But the problem is the air shipping fee might be higher than the kit price itself.

J Perkins stopped importing GWS kits since years ago. We've been contacted by someone from UK for buying kits, hopefully, he/they could make up his/their decision earlier.
Old May 14, 2014, 04:40 PM
Short Drop-Sudden Stop!
Joined Apr 2004
501 Posts
I need to pick up a Spitfire & Zero before they are extinct.My trusty Zero has been flying since 2005.Still looks good with only one mishap in all those years of trusty service.Appropriately named old faithful!!!
ltz400 is offline Find More Posts by ltz400
Old Jun 12, 2014, 01:55 PM
scotland
Joined Jul 2003
209 Posts
Good Evening Guys,
this afternoon an order for a small number of original GWS EPS model kits has been confirmed by Chen at GWS and will be starting its long journey over to the UK, probably next Wednesday. The journey time will take around 30 days so should be available in about 5-6 weeks. The kits I have ordered are Tiger moths, spitfire , Me 109, P51, F4U, Zero,Islander, A10 (x2), C47(x4), P38 (x2), and 1 x F15I also being sent are a small number of AT6 cowls , and cowls for P40. This is a toe in the water for me, I will have 35 kits for sale, the prices will obviously be a little more than they were in the past, but I am trying to keep prices as low as possible, the shipping costs are pretty horendous, I also don't want to be left with a load of kits that cannot be sold and cluttering up my workroom. I will be offering these for sale first to people on this group then to local model flying clubs in this area. any that are not selling will be sold on a popular auction website. As I said , a toe in the water, if they sell I will bring a second shipment
These unfortunately will be available only in UK, I cannot send overseas

regards

Gordon
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:05 PM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,697 Posts
Hi Gordon,

Thank you very much for your initial order.
The forwarder will pick up all of your order within next 6 hours from GWS HQ in Taipei, Taiwan.

Best Regards,

Chen
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:52 PM
United States, MO, Raymore
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Gordon,
Good luck with this. If you were here in the states you would have my orders.

Como
Como is online now Find More Posts by Como