HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:31 AM
Joined May 2013
279 Posts
Discussion
APM 2.6 "Fly-Away"?

Today I had what was ALMOST a fly-away!

I have been setting up a F800 with new 750kv custom motors (800W) planning to make it a heavy lift MR. I spent a lot of time fine tuning the setup on the APM 2.6 controller, finally getting it to a point where it started feeling usable but still not as solid as a Naza that I am used to.

I had just changed the battery for a charged one, I did not make any changes as I wanted to fly it a bit in the wind to see how stable it was. I took off and put it in a hover at around 10m altitude. It sat there for about 5 seconds drifting a bit while I was watching the hover accuracy.

The next moment all 6 motors went to 100% power (actually seemed to be more than the full throttle you can get via the APM) in a fraction of a second, the F800 shot up at an angle really fast! (Man, those motors have lots of power!!) I throttled down but no reaction, pitch and roll still seemed to work as I could correct the roll it had. I realized the only thing I could do was to dis-arm the motors. That takes 4 seconds on the APM, by that stage it was just about out of sight but the motors did stop putting the F800 in free fall. I let it drop a bit and then tried to restart the motors, no go. It came down nearly level crashing about 50m from me. Damage to the landing gear and top plate cracked.

Once on the ground, with the props removed, it started up again and all seemed normal.

Once the F800 is rebuild (I have lots of spares!) I will be installing a DJI A2 controller. After spending more than 10 hours fiddling and tuning the APM 2.6 it was still no-where as solid as a Naza (I had a F800 with a Naza-M along as well to compare in the rather windy conditions) for AP work and right now I don't trust it to carry my Canon 5D3......

I think it could have been a faulty unit, I have played with an APM 2.5.2 before on a quad and it seemed to work better.
Rudix is offline Find More Posts by Rudix
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:40 AM
we dont NEED roads!
United States, CA, Rocklin
Joined Aug 2012
3,390 Posts
Just wait for your DJI to fly away on you...

...you wont be able to disarm the motors or anything. Only thing you'll be able to do is wave and watch your aircraft fly away.
AcroFPV is online now Find More Posts by AcroFPV
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:46 AM
Joined May 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post

...you wont be able to disarm the motors or anything. Only thing you'll be able to do is wave and watch your aircraft fly away.
Well, I have had thousands of flights, hundreds of hours using 11 different DJI controllers and I have not had a single problem, not a glitch or even a broken prop, second APM, a few hours, and a broken hex and no trust in the product........

In my mind the results speak for themselves....

BTW, had a report from a FB friend on a MR group that the same happened to him.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 10:52 AM
United States, NY, Huntington Station
Joined May 2012
1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru4wd View Post

Actually, you could. Most people just not aware of how to disengage from the "fly away" mode. You just have to switch away from GPS or Alt-Hold mode and go into manual mode. And you can have all the control back.

To disarm the motors, if you are on "immediate" mode, just pull the throttle all the way down. In "intelligent" mode, just do any of the double stick pattern as mentioned in the manual.

This will turn in to another APM vs the world thread fast. I'm unsubscribing.
chuenwe is online now Find More Posts by chuenwe
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:05 AM
Joined May 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuenwe View Post
Actually, you could. Most people just not aware of how to disengage from the "fly away" mode. You just have to switch away from GPS or Alt-Hold mode and go into manual mode. And you can have all the control back.

To disarm the motors, if you are on "immediate" mode, just pull the throttle all the way down. In "intelligent" mode, just do any of the double stick pattern as mentioned in the manual.

This will turn in to another APM vs the world thread fast. I'm unsubscribing.
You are correct, lots of evidence that going into manual mode on the Naza will save the copter. And yes, you can also shut them down in flight, I have done in during a demonstration.

I am afraid you are also correct about this thread......
Old Nov 18, 2013, 01:12 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,960 Posts
APM vs the ... what ?
If DJI is now "the world", then maybe is time to un-subscribe from MR at all, is a lost hobby...

Everything evil is from MR forums turning too much in pro and business usage, thing that not happen for any of the other forums, ruining all the hobby part.
Who cares about airborne a 5D3! this is no more a toy, make your pro forums and debate there !
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:36 AM
Joined Sep 2011
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
APM vs the ... what ?
Everything evil is from MR forums turning too much in pro and business usage, thing that not happen for any of the other forums, ruining all the hobby part.
Who cares about airborne a 5D3! this is no more a toy, make your pro forums and debate there !
I couldn't disagree more. The professional companies are what drive the whole thing, even at a hobby level. You can now buy a DJI Naza and GPS, which (with some exceptions) works reliably for thousands of people all over the world. You couldn't two years ago. What's the Alternative?

Arducopter just goes round and round with problems
Multiwii is still in it's infancy when it comes to GPS, etc.
Autoquad works very well but needs a Nasa team to calibrate the IMU,
Openpilot currently has no real GPS support.

Don't blame those that want more from their machines, and strive to push things forward. Maybe you should start a "Luddite only" forum for 2003 firmware versions only and nothing but rate mode
DaveyWavey is offline Find More Posts by DaveyWavey
Old Nov 18, 2013, 08:45 AM
Joined Oct 2013
208 Posts
failsafe with "landing" mode
that would help in any "fly away" situations.
You just turn off your transmitter and copter will land!

Another option is "Fence" , 200 meters altitude and 500 meter radius
dskoul is offline Find More Posts by dskoul
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:00 AM
Joined May 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskoul View Post

Funny you would suggest these 2 options, the DJI Naza-M (V1 and V2) has both options, and they actually work
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:01 AM
Joined May 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyWavey View Post
I couldn't disagree more. The professional companies are what drive the whole thing, even at a hobby level. You can now buy a DJI Naza and GPS, which (with some exceptions) works reliably for thousands of people all over the world. You couldn't two years ago. What's the Alternative?

Arducopter just goes round and round with problems
Multiwii is still in it's infancy when it comes to GPS, etc.
Autoquad works very well but needs a Nasa team to calibrate the IMU,
Openpilot currently has no real GPS support.

Don't blame those that want more from their machines, and strive to push things forward. Maybe you should start a "Luddite only" forum for 2003 firmware versions only and nothing but rate mode
Well said, could not agree more!!!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:07 AM
Joined May 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by renatoa View Post
APM vs the ... what ?
If DJI is now "the world", then maybe is time to un-subscribe from MR at all, is a lost hobby...

Hmmm, I use a 5D3 (and 1DX) for hobby photography, and I want the same quality from my MR images.

Hobby or pro, who cares, I still want the best.

I treat my MR's like I treat my full-size aircraft, with respect as they are NOT toys and can be dangerous, I build and maintain them carefully to make them as safe and reliable as possible and my high hours without lots of problems are the result.

If you think they are toys..........
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:24 AM
Don't be popular, be right.
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Aug 2004
835 Posts
Every GPS flight controller will go wonky eventually. The difference between "well that was weird" and "OMG FLY AWAY POS #$!@!" is the pilot.

Both the APM and Naza offer manual modes that allow the pilot to assume full control of an errant machine and put it on the ground safely. It's up to the pilot to take the responsibility to not only utilize that manual mode but to have spent the time it takes to actually learn to fly the craft the "old fashioned" way.
bigddybn is offline Find More Posts by bigddybn
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined May 2013
279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigddybn View Post
Every GPS flight controller will go wonky eventually. The difference between "well that was weird" and "OMG FLY AWAY POS #$!@!" is the pilot.

Both the APM and Naza offer manual modes that allow the pilot to assume full control of an errant machine and put it on the ground safely. It's up to the pilot to take the responsibility to not only utilize that manual mode but to have spent the time it takes to actually learn to fly the craft the "old fashioned" way.
True....

I fly manual a lot, in the case of the fly-away APM there was nothing I could do but dis-arm. even with the throttle closed the APM was still giving full power to the motors.

I have never had a problem with one of the DJI's, and I have hundreds of hours on them. Having said that I am fully aware they they can and do fail, but right now they seem to be the most reliable, and from a stability point of view the most stable and easy to setup for AP work.

For acro and sport flying I love the CC3D as well.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 03:47 PM
Don't be popular, be right.
United States, FL, Port St Lucie
Joined Aug 2004
835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dskoul View Post

None of this works without a GPS lock though if he had a control link failure it would come in handy.

OP do you have your failsafe setup? Radio issues can certainly cause what you've described. Also don't the new APM versions have auto tune? I've not tried it yet but it's supposed to make a big difference.
bigddybn is offline Find More Posts by bigddybn
Old Nov 18, 2013, 04:05 PM
United States, NY, Huntington Station
Joined May 2012
1,672 Posts
I believe you need to have a windless environment to run Auto Tune. It never worked for me since my back yard is like a funnel. It's always windy there.
chuenwe is online now Find More Posts by chuenwe