Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:29 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2009
449 Posts
Contest
Texas Wings SPA Event

Hi all,

Texas Wings will be holding it's SPA West event, number 3 in the series, September 7th and 8th.

I'm excited to say that Leo at Klass Kote Missouri (www.klasskotemo.com) and Allen with Planet Hobby (www.PlanetHobby.com) will be promoting the NovaRossi engines at this event with the donation of 2 engines.

Leo and KlassKote.com are both donating Klass Kote paint, which I started using this year on my Dirty Birdy and it's great stuff, so someone will get to try the finish on their next project.
Texas Wings is providing some additional raffle items like a Dirty Birdy. It would be great if one of the volunteers, that are kicking the tires about flying SPA, wins it so they would give pattern flying a try.
See the flyer for additional contributions.

Saturday night we are eating Mexican food in Haltom City and a good friend and rising star will be playing for us. He will be touring in Europe with his band later this year but has made time to come to our post celebration.

RVs are welcome to stay at the field overnight but there are no hook-ups. There is an RV park close so if you would like me to check it out for you let me know.

We've had some mild weather so far and I think we'll have a blast! We are expecting 20 contestants so I hope to see you guys there.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me by email or phone.

Visit txwings.com for more information and directions to the field.

Tim Reed
Timthetoolman is offline Find More Posts by Timthetoolman
Last edited by Timthetoolman; Jul 28, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:53 PM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthetoolman View Post
Hi all,

Texas Wings will be holding it's SPA West event, number 3 in the series, September 7th and 8th.

I'm excited to say that Leo at Klass Kote Missouri (www.klasskotemo.com) and Allen with Planet Hobby (www.PlanetHobby.com) will be promoting the NovaRossi engines at this event with the donation of 2 engines.

Leo and KlassKote.com are both donating Klass Kote paint, which I started using this year on my Dirty Birdy and it's great stuff, so someone will get to try the finish on their next project.
Texas Wings is providing some additional raffle items like a Dirty Birdy. It would be great if one of the volunteers, that are kicking the tires about flying SPA, wins it so they would give pattern flying a try.
See the flyer for additional contributions.

Saturday night we are eating Mexican food in Haltom City and a good friend and rising star will be playing for us. He will be touring in Europe with his band later this year but has made time to come to our post celebration.

RVs are welcome to stay at the field overnight but there are no hook-ups. There is an RV park close so if you would like me to check it out for you let me know.

We've had some mild weather so far and I think we'll have a blast! We are expecting 20 contestants so I hope to see you guys there.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me by email or phone.

Visit txwings.com for more information and directions to the field.

Tim Reed
This is awesome! Pattern is a great opportunity to introduce prospective pilots to the hobby. Way to go guys!
thesquirrels is offline Find More Posts by thesquirrels
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:15 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
449 Posts
Someone told me I posted 4 classes but there will be 5. B-Novice, Novice, Sportsman, Advanced and Expert. If we have any Senior Expert interest we can add that class as well.

Electrics are allowed per the rules.

If you have a piped plane with retracts you'll be welcome too. I may have to do a different award if they are in the top seat so let me know as soon as you can if you're bringing a plane with retracts and a pipe.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
152 Posts
I have always been interested in SPA. I have a Kaos and Skylark and family who lives in Flowermound that I can stay with, so I hope I can make this event.
scottrc78 is offline Find More Posts by scottrc78
Old Aug 08, 2013, 01:18 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
449 Posts
Don't forget to sign up so I can get a head count. Seems like we only have about half of the guys sign up so I'm thinking about doing something special for everyone that signed up.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1YNc...gXdjc/viewform
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:53 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
449 Posts
What an awesome event we had. 16 participants with 3 in B-Novice to keep the sport alive was welcomed.
A big thank you to Leo and Allen for the sponsorship. One of the engines went to one of the B-Novice guys flying SPA for the first time. I think he is going to work out something with another member for a plane to put it in.
The other engine was won by one of our Sportsman flyers and will go in the Dirty Birdy kit I gave away at the Wings 2011 SPA event.
I also want to thank Leo for the Klass Kote paint. Unfortunately our photographer had a new camera and he wasn't taking pictures when he though he was. Ken Knotts won one of the paint coupons.
Thanks to Roy's Hobby shop for helping with the Dirty Birdy ARF raffle won by Frank Halpin.
We managed to keep all of the planes safe to fly another time.
One flight line was ran which gave everyone time to relax and enjoy each others company.
The weather was really warm but we had a great time. Everyone left happy and excited for the next event.

Tim
Last edited by Timthetoolman; Sep 09, 2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined May 2012
18 Posts
You guys sure look like you had a great time! Great Job! Your points races in the West Region are really tighening up coming down the stretch!
eness76 is offline Find More Posts by eness76
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2013
40 Posts
I know you guys had a great time, I sure wanted to be there. But somethings we can't control.

I'll be there next year.

Frank
fcox04 is offline Find More Posts by fcox04
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:07 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
449 Posts
I looked for you Frank. I thought about signing you up so we can get you in the rotation.

Don't forget the Thunderbirds next month. The second weekend I believe.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:00 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
488 Posts
After looking at your group pic I just realized I have a SPA legal plane! As long as I don’t throw the gear lever…

Hmm… Texas is only one state over. If you don’t count New Mexico (Nobody does).
My wife has a sister in Austin that she may need to be visiting about this time next year. TBD
Eric
edh13 is offline Find More Posts by edh13
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:39 PM
AMA 13456 NSRCA 4513
Rio Rancho, NM
Joined Nov 2007
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edh13 View Post
Hmm… Texas is only one state over. If you don’t count New Mexico (Nobody does).

Eric
Pattern is alive and well in New Mexico- three AMA contests here this year, one coming up this weekend

Always wanted to try an SPA event, just didn't know about yours in FW area until it was too late. Congratulations on a successful event and keep getting the word out! I'll let the guys know here.
Jeff Worsham is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Worsham
Old Sep 10, 2013, 08:14 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
449 Posts
Guys, I'm as loyal to my club as any one but I'm telling you the Thunderbird event is the one to go to in this region. They have an excellent concrete field with lots of room and the lake off one end with the friendliest guys you'd want to meet.

There's a camp ground there with full hook ups a mile away in the park.

If you want to make one that would be the one to make.

It's October 12-13 so you've got 5 weeks to plan.

I can't tell you how much fun you'd have. It's so awesome!

They are the ones that got me into pattern. I was mostly a builder then and didn't frequent the field much but that changed. I can't believe I had been missing out.

Here's the web page for the contest. http://www.seniorpattern.com/contests.htm
Sign up so they'll have enough food. (Lucky I doubled how much food I got because some didn't sign up.

You can see the Thunderbird field here www.fwthunderbirds.org

I've attached some photos of their April event too.
Last edited by Timthetoolman; Sep 10, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 09:50 PM
AMA 13456 NSRCA 4513
Rio Rancho, NM
Joined Nov 2007
221 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! Already have vacation scheduled to attend the Cajun Nationals in Crowely, LA the following weekend. All these events are fun, just wish I could get to all of them!
Jeff Worsham is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Worsham
Old Sep 11, 2013, 01:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timthetoolman View Post
Guys, I'm as loyal to my club as any one but I'm telling you the Thunderbird event is the one to go to in this region. They have an excellent concrete field with lots of room and the lake off one end with the friendliest guys you'd want to meet.

There's a camp ground there with full hook ups a mile away in the park.

If you want to make one that would be the one to make.

It's October 12-13 so you've got 5 weeks to plan.

I can't tell you how much fun you'd have. It's so awesome!

They are the ones that got me into pattern. I was mostly a builder then and didn't frequent the field much but that changed. I can't believe I had been missing out.

Here's the web page for the contest. http://www.seniorpattern.com/contests.htm
Sign up so they'll have enough food. (Lucky I doubled how much food I got because some didn't sign up.

You can see the Thunderbird field here www.fwthunderbirds.org

I've attached some photos of their April event too.

Tim,

I got this one on my calendar and planning to attend. Just putting a new motor mount in an old Skylark and have a Kaos ready. This will be my first attempt at SPA.
scottrc78 is offline Find More Posts by scottrc78
Old Sep 11, 2013, 04:12 PM
CPA 30, SPA 523
Joined Nov 2009
449 Posts
Cool. I'm excited because I know how much fun you'll have. I'm fairly new to it too.
We will have 3 guys in B-Novice that just started flying a year ago.

I started with a Super Kaos and there's a Tower Kaos in Advanced so I they'll work for you. My brother is flying a skylark too.

Tim