SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 01, 2014, 01:23 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,424 Posts
I replaced the stock ESC with a Hobby King 40A Plush ESC and it barely gets warm.

The Graupner 9X5 E prop is also a great upgrade. it's balanced when you receive it, a little pricey though. I'm using the stock collet without a spinner and it doesn't look half bad plus it allows more cooling air to get to the motor. Has anyone found a small diameter aluminum spinner that will fit the stock collet? Stock prop and spinner are junk.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Oct 01, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2014, 10:12 AM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
700 Posts
After reading everything i could about the Tidewater I bought one from the local hobby shop to have ready for some of our local water flyins. I saw one fly several times two weeks ago and was impressed.
Here's what I did to get the plane sea worthy: I added 1 inch wide blenderm tape to the bottom and top of each hinge. Shove it down into the hinge with an old credit card. I got this from the Motion rc website.
I made a slit in the bottom of the rudder and fuse at the hinge line and added a CA mylar hinge like the sonic tronics ones. This will strengthen that area if you drag the water rudder on something. Where the rear bolt goes thru the wing I added a 1 inch fender washer I had to strengthen that area. The plastic plate they have there smashes in when you tighten the bolt. This also came form the Motion RC website.
I replaced the receiver with a Spectrum one. I removed the speed control,removed the heat shrink, and soaked it in Corrosion x. I added new heat shrink and velcro on the opposite side of the heat sink and mounted it back in the plane. Hopefully this will cool better. I also squirted some Corrosion x in to the receiver to coat the circuit boards. Ill watch the heat on the ESC and replace with 40 amp if I need to.
I checked the prop on my balancer and it was pretty much spot on. I put the prop adapter and prop only on the motor and ran it a little. The prop adapter would not run true! Junk. I replaced the prop adapter with another 3mm one I had in my parts bin. Ran true as it should. This one had the bullet nut on the front. Everything ran true and no vibration. I added the spinner which just happen to fit over the bullet on the new prop adapter. I ran it up and it vibrated some at anything over 50% throttle. Not shaking the plane apart but you could feel it.
I removed the spinner and went with the stock prop and my replacement 3mm adapter. She runs smooth as silk at full throttle. They need to fire their prop adapter supplier.
The Corrosion x was was just for my piece of mind and may not be necessary.
I also added some clear packing tape to the bottom of the hull to protect it during grass takeoffs and snow.
I hope this helps someone building the Tidewater. Test flight next week!
Jerry Brown is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Brown
Old Oct 03, 2014, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, Fontana
Joined May 2011
995 Posts
Attn: Jerry Brown

The Rudder hinge thing was addressed by Flyzone some time ago (file attached)
I think the other little things you did are fine to.
I have a lot of flights on the Tidewater & i had the horizontal come off mine once (the insert in the vertical that the screw goes in pulled out, so i glued the replacement horizontal).

You have spent time doing things to prevent later problems already, so my advice is to replace the junk stock ESC before even flying it.
Every one i have seen runs too hot (Just isn't worth the risk of it failing in flight)

As far as things going wrong with the Tidewater, I have had 2 bad crashes (one due to the horizontal tail coming off & one due to ESC failure)
Even after 2 crashes plus all the flights i have on it, i don't have any hinges coming loose & i have done nothing to them.
With that said, adding the Blenderm tape is still not a bad idea.
Clive66 is online now Find More Posts by Clive66
Last edited by Clive66; Oct 03, 2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added info
Old Oct 05, 2014, 08:45 PM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Jan 2000
700 Posts
Well I had a Hobbywing fun fly 40 amp ESC so I put that in there. Also glued the tail on and added a couple of carbon braces under the hori. stab. Tail should be solid now. Hope the Hobbywing ESC works OK.
Jerry Brown is offline Find More Posts by Jerry Brown
Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:12 PM
Joined May 2011
995 Posts
The Hobbywing fun fly 40 amp ESC should work fine.
I was using that in my Fun Cub until i changed to 4cell batts.
I'm pretty sure the Hobbywing ESC has a 3 amp switchmode BEC & it worked fine on my Fun Cub with 6 servos (2 more than the Tidewater)
I also added a couple of carbon braces under the horizontal (forgot to mention that).
Now all we have to do here, is wait for your flight report.
I think you're really going to like the Tidewater.
Old Oct 06, 2014, 12:10 AM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
316 Posts
Here's my slightly modified Tidewater.
Took out the stock motor and ESC and I'm using an extra quad motor I had laying around (2822/1800KV and a simonk 30 amp ESC). Works good still gets a little hot though...needs air. I'll have to work on that.
I'm also running a CF DJI self tightening prop. Flight times around 7-8 mins.
I added some CF braces to the tail and exchanged the Rx for a Spektrum AR6210 6-Channel DSMX .
Camera's an old 808 #16LD. There's a little jello but I didn't balance anything either.
Watch in HD and enjoy.

TideWater RC Plane Kamloops BC (3 min 6 sec)
HuskyDude is offline Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Last edited by HuskyDude; Oct 06, 2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 06:17 PM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
73 Posts
Rpm?

Neat video, Husky Dude! Looks like someone "pulled the plug" on your pond, though. I hope it gets refilled!

Fellow Tidewaterers, I have a question.

Has anyone put a tachometer on the Tidewater with the stock motor (and prop)?
Mine with the stock motor and Graupner 9x5 does 10,900 rpm on a fresh battery. If anyone has tached it, please let me know what you got.

As I'm getting familiar with the plane, I've got the "gee, a little more power would be nice" feeling coming on. It doesn't exactly burn up a loop (it kind of almost struggles around the top). Any recommendations?

Thanx!
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Oct 18, 2014, 04:37 PM
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
142 Posts
I found that mine could barely do a loop after I dove for speed. As soon as you start adding power it has a negative effect due to the high thrust line. I put nylon washers under the bottom 2 motor mounting screws to give it some upward thrust. I was also trying to get it to fly without so much up elevator. The result was an improvement, but I think some more up thrust would be even better. Of course doing this may make the "Tidewater tumble" a thing of the past. Don't know yet.
rammon3 is offline Find More Posts by rammon3
Old Oct 18, 2014, 04:58 PM
Joined May 2011
995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexGalore View Post
It doesn't exactly burn up a loop (it kind of almost struggles around the top). Any recommendations?

Thanx!
Mine is totally stock, other than the ESC & the same Graupner prop you are using.
I have no problems doing good loops.
I have seen no reason to change motor thrust angles (i think the designers of the plane know what works best on it).
The lake i fly off is fairly small, so the speed is fine for me.
If i flew in a bigger area, i might want faster (don't know)
Just one thought here.
Did you set the throttle range on the ESC ?
A friend of mine was flying his at the same time as mine & mine was performing better.
After he landed & we set the throttle range, everything was fine.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 05:12 PM
Joined May 2011
995 Posts
This is a review video of a completely stock Tidewater.
He does a loop with it during the video & it looks like a pretty clean loop to me.

Flyzone Tidewater EP Seaplane (1 min 27 sec)
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:59 AM
Canada, BC, Kamloops
Joined Jan 2011
316 Posts
On all the acros done on that video not one show a level entry at the start of any loop!
For all we know he could have dove the T/W straight down to gain lots of speed and then did a loop.
Mine with OEM motor was weak doing a loop too. Even with my upgrade it's not that good.
Just my two cents.
I still love this little plane. I just don't loop it that's all.
HuskyDude is offline Find More Posts by HuskyDude
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:26 PM
Joined May 2011
995 Posts
Nothing to do with loops here.
For those that haven't seen this, I think this is a well done review about the Tidewater.

http://flitetest.com/articles/tidewater-seaplane
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:10 AM
Prop-Snapping Excitement!
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Feb 2014
73 Posts
Clive, I hadn't set the throttle range on my ESC, I hadn't even THOUGHT of it (usual for me). I did it, and it tachs and performs the same, so it must have been okay before.

All, thanks for the reports - i'd say mine is "normal" power, then.
I agree about the videos - none show loop entry from straight and level flight. It's okay, just was wondering if something was wrong. We really don't know the wattage and kVa specs on the stock motor, do we?

(Flew again this AM (just as the wind was waking up), all's well with the new "cool" ESC)

Thanks again!
RexGalore is offline Find More Posts by RexGalore
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:23 PM
Gravity is weak but persistant
United States, NY, Port Crane
Joined Aug 2009
305 Posts
When I went with a Master Airscrew 8.5x6 propeller (only other non-stock was a DuBro 32mm spinner) I could do a loop from level. Stock flimsy prop would not do a loop from level.

Out of habit I always punch in a bit of throttle to enter a loop and then throttle back substantially as it tops over to keep the speed constant. That may especially help with the pod.

Charlie P (NY) is online now Find More Posts by Charlie P (NY)