HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Terry, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
As an 11 year member (hay is there a prize for that? ;-) ) I really see no value in the + even if it was free. I understand supporting the site and all, but I started blocking their off-site ads because my firewall was flagging some of them as sources of malware, so they already lost my eyeballs on those when that started.

So wonder what is really behind the need to offer a + membership. Can't see anyone asking for it.

PS - still using classic... even though (or maybe because of) it makes terry sad ;-)
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Last edited by rcav8r2; Oct 12, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,257 Posts
This is Disappointing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
RCG Plus is Live!
The RCGroups.com team is excited to announce that our RCG Plus program is now live. By becoming a Plus member you not only show your support for the world's largest and most active RC web forum, you also get all these great additional features!

- Read and post items in the RCGroups Plus forum
- Receive an upgraded skin and supporter badge on all your postings
- Increased space in your private mailbox (up to 2000 messages)
- Link to your most recent blog entry at the bottom of all of your posts
- Highlighted blog posts
- More prominent classified ads
- Remove external (Google) advertisements
- Shorter waiting periods between posts and searches
- Prominent member search listing.

Learn more and sign up for RCG Plus by clicking here.
-I've been a member here for a long time. It seems to me the members built this place. This $50.00 fee strikes me as unfortunate and a bit tacky...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:12 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,705 Posts
Out of all the hobby forums out ther. rcgroups is my fav. And im all for supporting them. However $50 is a bit much for what is recieved in return IMO. $25 and im in. Like said in an earlier post I still prefer and use the classic look.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
RCG -Minus Member
United States, SC, West Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It seems to me the members built this place. This $50.00 fee strikes me as unfortunate and a bit tacky...
They did, we all did, and this is what we get in return.
microflitedude is offline Find More Posts by microflitedude
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:50 PM
Jet's are cool!
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Nov 2011
352 Posts
Very dissapointed

Will not pay for a forum
UNABLE2SURF is offline Find More Posts by UNABLE2SURF
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
RCFlyng
United States, VA, Centreville
Joined Nov 2010
383 Posts
Interesting comments. I don't post a lot but do read a lot. I have bought and sold things in the classifieds. Now if the $50 included a stuffed soft plush "Terry the Transmitter" novelty item, a key chain and some more useful items, then maybe....
theq111 is offline Find More Posts by theq111
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:02 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
Time will tell if $50 is the right price or not. But I can tell you that my interest in RCG+ just went down to zero.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
Needs more bacon!
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Jan 2011
1,060 Posts
I'm glad to pay $50/yr (~14 cents a day) to support such a great forum that is continually improved upon. Considering what many of us spend on our hobby $50 is nothing, and even some have turned their hobby into a business because of this forum. I run many large communities for my other job and running off just ads is difficult especially when you have to pay salaries to programers, designers, etc. Not to mention the money you spend at the datacenter and if your site is growing that price is ever increasing.

Although I wish there was a way to disable the custom skin on my posts. I don't like how it makes me stand out so much. I'm not a flashy guy, just want to help support a resource that has helped me.
Dolby is online now Find More Posts by Dolby
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:15 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,818 Posts
WOW, Maybe make it 50 for life? But still.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Absolutely tacky! The users keep this site going, who do you think the advertisers are trying to reach? Us! Have you seen how much you charge for add space!!!??!!

The only thing keeping me on here now is the fact that my classifieds get hundreds of views, I do not like the direction this is heading at all. I'm almost a 10 year member and I have to say I'm embarrassed for RCG that nobody in the room knew this would be a horrible idea!

Who wants to guess at how long that $50 price tag will last?
Do you get a T-shirt, a sticker, a $50 gift card?

If you need to make money somewhere, develop an App and charge $3.99 for it, at least that's reasonable and you actually get something out of it!
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
I don't like the black ads in the classifieds, they break up the flow when scrolling through. Thankfully, you can get rid of them by switching your profile to "classic", here is a link to do so..

My opinion is that these are paltry benefits for the price, and the RCG+ program runs the real risk of driving fissures into the userbase of the site. Look at what happened to RC Universe when it started doing tiered membership and classifieds - the users fled to RCG because they felt they were being exploited. Watch your step or you'll be next...
fillots is offline Find More Posts by fillots
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
I almost forgot about RCU! I think decisions like these are what's contributing to much of the 3d community beginning to shift yet again to an alternative site. I was curious why 3dhs did their latest garage sale over ther instead of here...
DaaBears is offline Find More Posts by DaaBears
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:41 PM
Cliff
Australia, QLD, Pacific Paradise
Joined Oct 2011
370 Posts
Includes 2 tickets to the virtual RCG Ball.
Tell Terry he's dreamin.
16141 is offline Find More Posts by 16141
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
My dog ate my airplane
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 2008
225 Posts
Maybe it's just a typo, and it's supposed to be a lifetime membership for $50? Just trying to give Terry the benefit of the doubt? If subscription services caused RC Universe to lose favor in the hobby community what will happen to RCG now? I suspect another site may pop up that can host free memberships for those interested?
sredlin is offline Find More Posts by sredlin
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:56 PM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,257 Posts
I almost forgot about RCU...
-Same here...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan