HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2010, 07:57 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
Discussion
From above to below

Something I have been wondering about is, with the ROV submerged and its support vessel on the surface what type of connection do you use between the two. If you use Radio Frequency what do you use and can you send signals back from the ROV telemetry and video? If you use a tethered connection how do you handle the length?
Regards,
Gerald.
steamboatmodel is offline Find More Posts by steamboatmodel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2010, 11:32 AM
Metallica
Londonderry UK
Joined Nov 2004
415 Posts
Hi
Most ROV will use a cable to connect to the surface as radio waves do not travel well in water. It is possible to have the cable on a drum and wind it in and out, but you will need a slip ring to stop that cable getting tangled. Also its possible to coil the cable into a barrel or something and this should also prevent the cable getting tangled.

Rob
robe_uk is offline Find More Posts by robe_uk
Old Dec 08, 2010, 08:31 AM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
Hi Rob,
With a slip ring would you have any problems with it picking up interference? Do you know if anyone has used fiber optic cable?
Thanks
Gerald.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 03:27 PM
R.O.V. Man
Devon UK
Joined Jan 2006
351 Posts
Hi Gerald.
I have used a slip ring and it gives NO interference.
I got mine off of EBay and I am very happy with the performance of the slip ring supplied.
Check out the seller with this item 270496727455 Sellers name is Joykinlee.

Fibre optic is what the big boys use for data transmission as it's so quick and is not affected by depth. Hobby RoV ..I don't know of any. But I am sure someone will pop in here and prove me wrong.

Talking of radio frequency. You can use a standard radio control unit and connect the receiver ariel to the transmitter ariel via the umblicle cable.
I have done this in the past and found it a easy method to start with.

Regards Antony(UK)
hargard is offline Find More Posts by hargard
Last edited by hargard; Dec 08, 2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 06:25 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,272 Posts
Thanks Antony,
I have a number of Steam launches to finish before I start on a ROV. I do have a old Happy Hunter that I have been working off and on with for a number of years that I will use as a surface support vessel.
Regards,
Gerald.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 10:18 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,008 Posts
I just past this thread on cables. When I worked for Harken we made this block for Woods Hole. It was used with their ROV's to allow the cable to go over the transom on the ship without damage. Large diameter sheave with a rubberized groove, but a relatively small load for it's size. The cable would then be taken up on a large diameter drum on deck.
Sorry for the sidebar.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave