Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:46 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I'm not going to bother trying to fix it now. I'm just going to proceed as is and hope it doesn't affect the performance. In the future, I'll never build one wing at a time and leave it sit for a long period. Both wings will be built at once which should avoid differences like this.

That reminds me, I need to rebuild the base of my work bench. The one I had planned and tried to build, didn't work out as planned. It ended up too short and not as sturdy. I was trying to make something that was sturdy, yet could be dismantled for moving easily. When I re-do it, it will come out into the room from one end allowing me to work from both side.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:48 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,655 Posts
Don't feel bad TJ. My sister in law came over today so I exiled myself to my shop for the duration. Figured I'd work on a wing. Six hours later and I'm a little over halfway through one wing. Came in for dinner and went back out afterwards. Chopped off that two inch piece of trailing edge to make room for a clean wingtip join. Looked up at the plans and realized I need that two inches to join the the tip to the wing!
I used to be able to whip out a whole Skeeter in six hours and it would fly perfect and you couldn't even see the glue joints. Now, I break every rib before I've even gotten em glued in and half the skin on my thumbs is stuck to the wing! I may be unworthy to post in this thread much longer if I can't get my skills back!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:51 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
It's my own fault for letting it sit so long. I like to think I would have noticed the error before commiting to it, but probably not since I wasn't building both wings at the same time.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:50 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
Jeff, if you get dizzy doing the DLG launch you ain't doin' it right. I'm still amazed at how effortless it is.
No no no Sean. I was talking about back in the old U-Control flying days. You know... Fly by wire systems. Maybe I was using to big a fuel tank so I had to spin around a lot longer than I should have. Yeah... that's it... It's my story and I'm sticking to it.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:59 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
No no no Sean. I was talking about back in the old U-Control flying days. You know... Fly by wire systems. Maybe I was using to big a fuel tank so I had to spin around a lot longer than I should have. Yeah... that's it... It's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Yeah Jeff I know about UC. Did it myself. Nowadays though I get dizzy watching someone else do it.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:03 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
It's my own fault for letting it sit so long. I like to think I would have noticed the error before commiting to it, but probably not since I wasn't building both wings at the same time.
It's not always possible but is a good idea to build both halves together. On the last Oly III build I built them TE to TE.

The build table I made a couple of years ago is like an island in the shop with wheels. That way I can work from all sides.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:08 AM
Good, fast or cheap, pick two
Napa, California
Joined Jul 2006
2,604 Posts
Quote:
It's not always possible but is a good idea to build both halves together. On the last Oly III build I built them TE to TE.

The build table I made a couple of years ago is like an island in the shop with wheels. That way I can work from all sides.
Two great ideas here Sean, I only wish that I had known these before getting underway. Well, guess better late than never eh?

I'm almost finished the first inner wing panel on the OLY II SX that I'm building, and I will probably do as you suggest and at least have the finished one on the board to compare to. Thanks!

I've also been thinking about a "re-arrange" of the shop so that I can get the table out from the wall. Having the ability to work around the table sure makes sense. Oh boy, I see a major project coming here...

Cheers,

Rob
robh is offline Find More Posts by robh
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:15 AM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post
Two great ideas here Sean, I only wish that I had known these before getting underway. Well, guess better late than never eh?

I'm almost finished the first inner wing panel on the OLY II SX that I'm building, and I will probably do as you suggest and at least have the finished one on the board to compare to. Thanks!

I've also been thinking about a "re-arrange" of the shop so that I can get the table out from the wall. Having the ability to work around the table sure makes sense. Oh boy, I see a major project coming here...

Cheers,

Rob
Just another one of those things you learn from mistakes.....................and I'm a walking encyclopedia of those. The problem comes when I keep repeating the same ones over and over.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:11 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Quote:
Just another one of those things you learn from mistakes..................... The problem comes when I keep repeating the same ones over and over.
Isn't that the definition of crazy?

The room is too small to have the table as an island, but a peninsula will be perfect .
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:13 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robh View Post

Cheers,

Rob
After working in my shop over a period of four days (actual hours totalling a good two days), I have pulled stuff out onto the lawn to make room for my attack inside the shed, thrown stuff away from inside. Moved a work bench to the middle for purposes already mentioned, and put all the crap back into the shed at the end of every day, am I any better off? HELL NO!! I was wanting to look at getting a tow plane, or another aerotow sailplane, but I don't have any more room I'm starting to think a match is in order and watch it all go away
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:19 PM
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmtrubrit View Post
After working in my shop over a period of four days (actual hours totalling a good two days), I have pulled stuff out onto the lawn to make room for my attack inside the shed, thrown stuff away from inside. Moved a work bench to the middle for purposes already mentioned, and put all the crap back into the shed at the end of every day, am I any better off? HELL NO!! I was wanting to look at getting a tow plane, or another aerotow sailplane, but I don't have any more room I'm starting to think a match is in order and watch it all go away
Keith needs an intervention...................... If I was there K I'd come over and help you sort it all out. I know about crowding and junk. I fight that constantly with the wife.

Oh yeah Keith, I meant to email you back about the spoilers. They sound great and I'm going to order a couple of sets. I know the dealer takes forever but you do get your stuff.

TJ, A peninsula works great too.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:24 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Even though I'm 'Inactive' in our club right now, it's a beautiful day and I'm going to go and see if my 'adopted' Grandfather needs my help today. Later!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:29 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,157 Posts
I must admit that Stan's stuff (a friend who died) isn't helping. That damn 1/4 scale ASK18 almost finished kit is a pain the arse. I put two new shelves up and the wings are on one of 'em. I need to get pictures taken of that and the Supra to put on the selling thread. Sean, I was hoping that taking the week off would allow me time to do the shed and weigh the Supra for your info, but...........
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Nov 25, 2012, 12:48 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmtrubrit View Post
Do I hear a call for the famous "Zippo Mk IV" here Keith? Maybe a better idea would be to try my way of thinning out the herd. If you haven't used it in 2 years and don't see using it within the next two... It goes! The main exception being those specialty tools that are hard to find.

I can't imagine having to haul everything out and then put it all back in any time you want to do some work in the shop. I think it would take me years to get to that point once I get the new place and have gotten the shop ready. At 36' X 48" I'd have to work really hard to fill it up to that point!

The tables on wheels is one of the best things you can do provided that you have the room to pull it off. I'm planning on having at least 3 tables set up like that in time. Two for models and one that's a little smaller for other projects. I'll also have a fixed work bench with the majority of the power tools mounted up on it. Ahhh A shop that will even make the SeanMIester drool! Now that's something to aim for!
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:32 PM
delete account
Australia, QLD, Fraser Island
Joined Nov 2007
3,875 Posts
Hoping to go the roving Island bench meself, if the right frame for the right price can have castors applied if it doesn't already. Workshop and place of residence is yet to be established (did you like that, how I typed 'workshop' first!) so we have an open hand there when browsing rental properties.

Speaking of that, I type from a hotel room in Darwin, the girl and I fly back to Hervey Bay via Brisbane today, we are going home.. finally! it was a hell of a mission- the past 9 months.

Happily Ray sent me an email yestrday saying that the short B-100 kit is being sent today, how's that for timing! thanks Ray.

Later friends, have a good Sunday over there, it's a busy Monday here.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve