HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2002, 11:54 PM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
45-3 Jeti motors geared?

Can this motor be geared? or am I wasting my time?
Clayton is offline Find More Posts by Clayton
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2002, 03:26 AM
san marcos, ca
Joined Jun 2001
677 Posts
i have experimented with the jeti gearbox (1.8:1) on this motor without luck -- after long experimentation to get the gear clearance set, the gear box lasted about 3 minutes in flight -- the pinion was eaten up by then.
the motors are clearly marked "for direct drive only".
i would consider experimenting with a belt drive, in the future.
for now, this jeti gives plenty of power with direct prop drive 13x7 folder, 12 cells, in a diablotin mini, with extended hover no problem (other than my thumbs) - i guess the manufacturer meant it when they said "direct drive only"
peter berg
potifar is offline Find More Posts by potifar
Old Apr 06, 2002, 05:01 AM
Firestone, CO
Joined Mar 2002
100 Posts
<&nbsp> I'm sure I am repeating what is already known, but my understanding of the Jeti motors is that they are designed for relatively high torque. Most motors that are used with gearboxes are designed with high RPM in mind. I realize that is an oversimplification, but the point I am getting at is that I am sure you can gear a Jeti motor, but it sounds like you would need to swing an awfully large prop fairly slowly. My guess, and it is a pretty random guess, is that a geared Jeti motor would not be practical in anything less than a .60 conversion. Again, I have absolutely no experience with this motor practical or otherwise. I am just guessing based on reports I have been hearing. If you are really determined to gear on, I would think that a Modelairtech belt drive would be the safest bet.
markv is offline Find More Posts by markv
Old Apr 06, 2002, 12:19 PM
san marcos, ca
Joined Jun 2001
677 Posts
jeti geared?

here is some more info on the jeti 45-3 in the mini diablotin

auw is 70 oz 6 oz
motor jeti 45-3 direct drive
prop graupner 13x7 CAM folding
12 cells cp1700

motocalc sez to expect about 76 oz. static thrust at 41A (limit for the esc)

i measured below 40 amps but not recently and i don't remember how much, seems to be closer to 35 A

do not use bec in any of these planes, they typically have 4 servos which is at the limit, plus you don't want to lose your plane when something goes bye-bye in the power train/esc

i use 5 cells NIMH 700 mAh which yield plenty of flying time at low weight (they are AAA size) and give a nice servo response plus the added advantage that it will still fly if you use one cell

the mini-d climbs straight up on take-off -- if you want to do any hovering it works best in the beginning of the flight

a friend of mine uses the new MEGA motor which is available at 1000 rpm/V (the jeti is 800 rpm/V) and has equally good results on 10 cells - i have one of these on order now

the sound of these motor/prop combinations is n-i-c-e

hope this works for you
peter berg
Old Apr 06, 2002, 12:45 PM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
Thanks-

I am hoping to use it in a cosmic wind. I don't want to use 14 cells. It seems that the wieght of the CWind is about 81.6 ounces with 14 cells. A few less cells a few less ounces. And a bigger prop might do the trick. Do you ROG?
Old Apr 06, 2002, 01:00 PM
san marcos, ca
Joined Jun 2001
677 Posts
ROG

yes. it ROGs - plane is way too big to handlaunch
plenty of power for (almost) VTO - it will work in the cosmic wind but i think you will be a tad too heavy for hover
Old Apr 07, 2002, 05:37 AM
Malaysia
Joined Jun 2001
1,009 Posts
I would not geared the Jeti...

Jeti Phasor brushless are meant for Direct drive because they have good torque to drive big prop AND ALSO BECAUSE OF RPM LIMIT! They are not kevlar wrapped so they have a max rpm limit before the magnet eject from the rotor. 15000 is the max if I remember. So if you geared it, you will have a very slow prop spin albeit a big one.

45-3 may have low enough rpm/v that you may not accidently exceed the limit, still if you were to gear it, do becareful.

For an almost similar price, the Mega which is almost the same but have a higher rpm/v, is kevlar wrapped and can be pushed to a much much higher rpm. Infact the 30/2 series can even be put into an edf as per review by ezone.

I believe HL have a gearbox(with Mega sticker) meant for Mega/Phasor brushless. Another type is from Espirit model which is a internal driven gear, slight off set from center but the direction rotation is the same as motor.

I was contemplating the phasor at first but then I bought 3 mega 30/3.
Magna is offline Find More Posts by Magna
Old Apr 07, 2002, 08:21 AM
RRD
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Oct 2001
343 Posts
Modelair-Tech has great belt drive / Mega brushless combos. I've got one and I love it. Tom Hunt is a great guy and very easy to deal with. He only lists his H-500 drive matched with the Mega 20/3 and 30/3. It would be worth a call to see if he can match a 45/3 with the H-1000. Great products and service at a decent price.

Bob
RRD is offline Find More Posts by RRD
Old Apr 07, 2002, 02:37 PM
Joined Jan 1999
419 Posts
I have a review that should be posted in the near future of the Jeti 45/3 motor geared 1.7:1 with the MEC gearbox. I've been running 16 Panasonic 3000 mAh NiMH cells in MEC power tubes, the Jeti 45/3, MEC gearbox, and an APC 14x10 E-prop in a 4 Star 40. It gives very nice performance. The plane also flies well with the Jeti direct-drive, but the geared version gives a stronger climb (at the expense of some speed). I also tried to use an Astro 1.68:1 gearbox at one point, but the lack of a 5 mm pinion defeated that option.

I believe the rpm limit of the Jeti motors is closer to 20,000 rpm, but the controllers are limited to 16 cells, so there's not much chance of exceeding that value.

Steve
Steven Horney is offline Find More Posts by Steven Horney
Old Apr 07, 2002, 03:49 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,939 Posts
The short answer to your question is "yes", but the application and the much mentioned RPM limit of the motor will drive whether or not it makes sense. I have run a smaller Phasor in a belt reduction with good success.

I've only used my 45-3 direct. On 10 cells it will happily swing a 14X7 APC-E. APC now has a 13X8 which might be a better match for the Cosmic Wind...... if you've the clearance to run a prop that big.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Apr 07, 2002, 03:58 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
If you run the numbers in Motocalc you'll find that by gearing (using a belt drive) the larger Jeti's you'll have to use a high cell count and a large prop. This will then get you into the motor's comfortable amp range. The smaller Jeti's 15/4 30/3 would be better suited for gearing, unless you have a monster you want to get in the air...
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
Old Apr 07, 2002, 11:48 PM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
I am rethinking that for my plane it would be adding too much wieght without the benefit gained. Direct drive seems the better way to go. This isn't a large plane per say.
Old Apr 25, 2002, 07:09 AM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,431 Posts
45/3 on H-1000 belt drive

Hi Guys....

thanks for the mention on the possibility of using the 45-3 on my belt drives.

AS mentioned by some guys already, the "KV" of this motor is pretty low. Using this motor "geared" at 16 cells (limit of jeti and "other" imported to USA controllers) is really underutilizing it. Steve Horney's article on the 45-3/MEC superbox did show us a use, but looking at the total "system" efficiency, you could do better with a 30/3 and save some weight (and cost).

I could produce a 1.8-2.0/1 H 500 or H-1000 belt drive for the 45-3, but I'd rather wait for the new Hacker/Jeti 8-30cell controller to get here. Then we can run the Mega 45-3 or 45-3e (better motrors in my opinion) on 21-24 cells. Now that's a power system worth investing in!

Regards
Tom Hunt
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt