SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:39 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,978 Posts
Discussion
Glues

I'm putting together my first sailboat, a Blackhawk 32. The instructions call for testors plastic glue. Question has anyone used goop on the plastic? It should do a better sealing job so I'm wondering if anyone else has used it instead of Testors?
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 01:43 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,251 Posts
"Goop" tends to stay a bit soft and flexible when I've used it. (glued sole on daughter's horse barn boots).

The boat is probably styrene and that is why they are recommending Testors. Styrene glue is designed to "melt" the plastics and allow then to stick to each other. Available in both tube or liquid.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 02:09 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
"Goop" tends to stay a bit soft and flexible when I've used it. (glued sole on daughter's horse barn boots).

The boat is probably styrene and that is why they are recommending Testors. Styrene glue is designed to "melt" the plastics and allow then to stick to each other. Available in both tube or liquid.
...........and you don't get a better seal than a seam weld like that, especially if you don't leave gaps in the seam.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:56 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
a little research goes a long way

It is very important to know the material your boat is made out of. There are many different types of adhesives /glues to choose from. It is not that difficult in most cases to find the type of plastic your boat(s) are made of. If the adhesive lable doesn't specify the materials it is compatible with you can contact the manufacturer to get that information.
ABS and Styrene are very common materials used for molding RC boats. Fiberglass is another popular material. Each require a different adhesive. CA and epoxy are often used but depending on the material they are being used on, may not be the best choice.
Just a little research can very helpful. Testing is another proven way to determine how well one adhesive works for you.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1