HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:03 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,686 Posts
Discussion
What is a Warbird?

Wikipedia defines "Warbird" as: "A warbird is any vintage military aircraft now operated by civilian organizations and individuals or, in some instances, by historic arms of military forces, such as the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, the RAAF Museum Historic Flight and the South African Air Force Museum Historic Flight. Restored warbirds are a frequent attraction at airshows. Highly modified as well as "stock" warbirds can also frequently be seen at air races, since World War II-era fighters are among the fastest propeller-driven airplanes ever built. Some of the most popular warbirds for races are the North American P-51 Mustang, the Hawker Sea Fury, the Grumman F8F Bearcat and the North American T-6 Texan. Although the term originally implied piston-driven aircraft from the World War II era, it is now often extended to include all airworthy former military aircraft, including jet-powered aircraft."

What do YOU think? Are warbirds strictly piston driven planes that served in WWII? Or should WWI planes be included? And what about jets? Korean war planes? Vietnam war planes? Is it only fighters or are bombers included?

Let's see if we can come up with a general consensus. (OK, so I'm being delusional.)

To me, a warbird is any plane that served in the military, whether in actual combat or in preparedness for combat. However, the plane had to be capable of lethal strikes. Spy planes, surveillance planes, transports, are not warbirds in my book.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:25 AM
United States, IL, Glenwood
Joined Nov 2013
666 Posts
Any WWI or WWII fixed wing airplane in my opnion.
Gregertman is online now Find More Posts by Gregertman
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:46 AM
Micro and Beyond!
Joined Jul 2014
252 Posts
While military combat jets are definitely warbirds, the general rc classification is piston driven military combat aircraft. The jets fall under the their own classification due to the very different nature of how they operate--greater speed, different power-plants and (subjectively) how they perform.

I was flying with a friend last night and he took up his F-16. It's a completely different animal than the "traditional" label of (rc) warbird.
BlukeSky is offline Find More Posts by BlukeSky
Old Sep 16, 2014, 06:57 AM
United States, CT, Hartland
Joined Jul 2011
162 Posts
The mental image that comes to mind when I hear the term warbird is of a WWII era fighter, but I tend to agree with the at least the first part of Leo's definition: "... any plane that served in the military, whether in actual combat or in preparedness for combat ..."

I would not exempt reconnaissance planes (esp WWII era reconnaissance planes) from the list. For example, while I would not call a J-3 a warbird, I would say that an L-4 should feel at home in any warbird meet.

I get BlueSky's point about jets, but I would tend to be more inclusive, especially with vintage jets. As another example, I'd say that the label warbird would fit on an F-86 or an F-9.
aymodeler is offline Find More Posts by aymodeler
Old Sep 16, 2014, 07:52 AM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymodeler View Post
The mental image that comes to mind when I hear the term warbird is of a WWII era fighter, but I tend to agree with the at least the first part of Leo's definition: "... any plane that served in the military, whether in actual combat or in preparedness for combat ..."

I would not exempt reconnaissance planes (esp WWII era reconnaissance planes) from the list. For example, while I would not call a J-3 a warbird, I would say that an L-4 should feel at home in any warbird meet.

I get BlueSky's point about jets, but I would tend to be more inclusive, especially with vintage jets. As another example, I'd say that the label warbird would fit on an F-86 or an F-9.
Pretty much exactly what I think. I was even planning to use the Cub example as well!

For me there is really only one area that's a bit "grey": Reno air racers. To me they definitely have "warbird" roots, but they've been so heavily modified that they are no longer "warbirds". To top it off, they are not wearing military schemes.
CF105 is online now Find More Posts by CF105
Old Sep 16, 2014, 08:16 AM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
2,153 Posts
I largely agree with the op's idea of a warbird.... but I have to say just because a plane had guns/rockets/missiles attached to it doesn't necessarily make it a warbird....

To me it's pretty lame to call the purpose built trainers and cessnas warbirds.... for their time they weren't exactly high performance aircraft. I think the AC-130 is ridiculously awesome but I wouldn't call it a warbird either.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Sep 16, 2014, 08:46 AM
Short bursts, Don't waste ammo
United States, GA
Joined Feb 2006
206 Posts
Typically the term "Warbird" has been reserved for military aircraft ( not usually trainers ) of the WWII and Korean War era's. The term has been expanded to include all aircraft built for military purposes. The AT-6 was used in combat against the Japanese by the Australians. It was called the Wirraray (I hope I got the name right ) and saw limited success. Would that be considered a Warbird? It certainly qualifies. Reconnaisance versions of aircraft had all offensive armament removed to carry cameras or had none at to begin with. Are they no longer warbirds? Mosquito, Mustang, P-38, Ki-46 Dinah, Ki-15 Babs, lysander just to name a few. When I hear the term "Warbird" I usually think of WWII and Korean War aircraft. Civilian use in my opinion is not a qualifying factor for a warbird.
RCAV8R1964 is offline Find More Posts by RCAV8R1964
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:49 AM
Joined Feb 2013
58 Posts
WWII prop "fighters" (P-51). No high altitude bombers (B-17). No Jets (Me 262). No trainers (T-6).
TrojanMan is offline Find More Posts by TrojanMan
Old Sep 16, 2014, 09:59 AM
Warbird Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jan 2008
5,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregertman View Post
Any WWI or WWII fixed wing airplane in my opnion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8R1964 View Post
Typically the term "Warbird" has been reserved for military aircraft ( not usually trainers ) of the WWII and Korean War era's. The term has been expanded to include all aircraft built for military purposes.
It seems the term Warbird has been given to just about anything that flew with military markings from WW I to present......and there are plenty that will argue the fact.
Over the last 70 years as the WWII era aircraft became more desirable to see at airshows and probably own for that matter...it was a term of endearment for that particular era aircraft that fought on such a large scale and were known buy those who build, maintained, flew and received the devastation from them.
LICobra is offline Find More Posts by LICobra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FMS P-51 4 blade vs 2 blade
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:28 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
8,198 Posts
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...nglish/warbird - not the real Oxford English Dictionary so i'll disregard their definition. would be nice if someone has a subscription to www.oed.com.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/warbird - defines it as "a military plane".

so regardless of whether they were spotters, transports, even planes that just carried mail, they're all warbirds. and regardless of what propulsion system they used or what theater or era they were used in, they're all warbirds. our opinions are irrelevant.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:49 AM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
954 Posts
IMHO...

Was it ever used in a military conflict? (War)
Does it fly? (Bird)

Would you tell the veteran that flew a spotter Cub over North Vietnam, that he wasn't a real military pilot? I sure wouldn't.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but if it flew in a war, it's a warbird in my book...
FLTRI is online now Find More Posts by FLTRI
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:59 AM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
666 Posts
I'd say a warbird could be any aircraft that fired its guns in anger (or dropped bombs) during whatever conflict. My 2 cents.
Vic Arcudi is offline Find More Posts by Vic Arcudi
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:19 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,270 Posts
There's the opposites and everything in between...
"WW2 fighters only"
"Anything that was ever used by a military organization"
My pretty inclusive definition is "Anything that was ever used by a military organization, but is no longer in widespread military use".
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:36 AM
Micro and Beyond!
Joined Jul 2014
252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
IMHO...

Was it ever used in a military conflict? (War)
Does it fly? (Bird)

Would you tell the veteran that flew a spotter Cub over North Vietnam, that he wasn't a real military pilot? I sure wouldn't.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but if it flew in a war, it's a warbird in my book...
And I definitely agree.

My definition above is admittedly a contextual one, that being rc flying and I believe that's what (most) rc model manufacturers use as a template. Is it correct? Not in a literal sense. However, it does keep categories more narrow and (to me) easier to navigate.

So in a literal sense, all military aircraft could be labeled "warbird", especially those who saw front-line service. In the rc world, that category seems to have been narrowed by type of power plant and in many cases, multi-engine.

I haven't seen a post in this thread that I would consider flat out wrong...

BlukeSky is offline Find More Posts by BlukeSky
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:40 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,236 Posts
Egg beaters

The Huey gunships reeked havoc on the NVA during the Viet-Nam conflict so for sure I would put them in the Warbird category . Also the little Loachs I flew in the Mini-Cav were effective Warbirds as well. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters