SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2014, 07:28 AM
Rochester, NY
Joined Nov 2007
381 Posts
Question
Is there a "Capitol Jets 2014" in Albany this year ?

Hi there, I've been looking around RC Groups and searching the web and can not find any info on if there will be a turbine event in Albany, NY this year. I went a few years ago and it was a blast. Does anyone know if they're having the event there again this year ?

Just strange that there is NOTHING on line anywhere...

Thanks in advance,
cbr600f2 is offline Find More Posts by cbr600f2
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:50 AM
Joined Jul 2014
4 Posts
Sorry to inform you that Capitol Jets is no longer. The organizer had to move out of state and no one wanted to pick up the responsibility for organizing the event. South Albany Airport was a beautiful venue for jet flying and the airport management was terrific with respect to the jets visiting every year. On the other side of the coin, we have a new site that is closer to Rochester. Highland Jets will take place on July 18 through July 20 at Frankfort Highland Airport in Frankfort (Utica) NY.
I suggest that you visit the jet forum on RC Universe for a complete listing of jet activity around your area and across the country.
See you at Highland Jets? I plan to be there.

John
square nozzle is offline Find More Posts by square nozzle
Old Jul 07, 2014, 04:53 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Nov 2007
381 Posts
Thanks square nozzle. Yes I had heard about Highland Jets and I grew up in the area. I have family that lives 10 minutes from that field and will be attending as a spectator this year.

I had hoped it was open to EDF's so that I could bring my Phase 3 and a scratch build twin, but was informed it was soley tubine stuff (which is totally fine by me)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cbr600f2; Jul 07, 2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old Jul 07, 2014, 06:27 PM
Joined Jul 2014
4 Posts
Turbines Only? Not true. The CD has stated that electric and glow powered ducted fans are welcome. That's one reason why I suggested you look at RC Universe. You'll find all the particulars about the jet events on the Jet Calendar. Registration fee for all pilots will be $30. Turbine pilots are required to have a Turbine Waiver along with their AMA license. FYI, I believe there is a competing jet event on that same weekend in Perry NY. I don't know much about it since I do not plan to attend. All the New England area, NY,NJ andPensylvania jet pilots will be at Frankfort Highland Airport.

John
Old Jul 07, 2014, 09:58 PM
Rochester, NY
Joined Nov 2007
381 Posts
Hey John,

Good info.. But I had emailed the president of the MV Firebirds and was told no EDF's but now I read the CD's thread on Rc Universe and he states:

" Glow DF, EDF and turbine jets are all welcome but must takeoff and land on the 2800' x 60' paved runway. No hand or bungee launches are permitted.

Both my Phase 3 and my ME262 are hand launched EDF's so doesn't look like that will "fly"

No worries. I don't mind being a spectator that weekend. Still very much looking forward to the event though.

Thanks again for the great info.

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2014, 04:07 PM
Joined Jul 2014
4 Posts
Tony, if you have not attended a jet rally in the past, you are in for a treat. The majority if not all will be turbine powered. Most, except me,, are excellent pilots. When you arrive, look for a large (12 x 12 foot ) blue canopy. That will be me and my Patroille Suisse show team paint jobs. Put your bid in for sunny skies and light winds.

John