SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2014, 02:48 AM
Australia, QLD, Rockhampton
Joined Apr 2014
65 Posts
Discussion
redback or not to redback that is my question

Hi everybody....

Anyway i am gunna get 2200mah 11.1 volt flight batteries for my Stinson reliant and was wondering two things, one how much more flight time will i get out of a 2200mah over a 1800mah and also whether these batteries are to good to be true cause they are less than half the price of my current batteries.

Thankyou to all who take the time to answer my question you time and input it greatly appreciated.

Now to wait.....
Rc Aeronaut 1996 is offline Find More Posts by Rc Aeronaut 1996
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2014, 04:24 AM
Joined Apr 2014
65 Posts
Hello out there. I know your there. Stop closing the curtains and talk to me.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 04:36 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rc Aeronaut 1996 View Post
Hello out there. I know your there. Stop closing the curtains and talk to me.
You forget we're not all in the same time zone (or day for that matter) Never heard of that brand though, someone should chime in when the rest of the world wakes up.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Apr 30, 2014, 05:13 AM
Joined Apr 2014
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
You forget we're not all in the same time zone (or day for that matter) Never heard of that brand though, someone should chime in when the rest of the world wakes up.

Azarr
Yeah its a bummer that there are not more aussies on the forum then i would get all round replies but oh well. Wake up world and help meeeeee.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 05:49 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,799 Posts
Without anything to reference to, it makes it hard, ofcourse the 2200 with increase your flight time, but it's unlikely to be by a noticeable amount. You might less voltage sag under load but again, not a lot.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Apr 30, 2014, 05:50 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,799 Posts
Quote:
Yeah its a bummer that there are not more aussies on the forum then i would get all round replies but oh well. Wake up world and help meeeeee.
You would find more Aussies on the Aussie forum, instead of the international.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 05:55 AM
Joined Apr 2014
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
You would find more Aussies on the Aussie forum, instead of the international.
Its not that i am looking for aussies i just want people to give me a hand and what with time zones its annoying but overall i am not bothered by it. Enough on aussies lets talk batteries. So you think its not gunna afecct my flight time by much damn i was hoping to boost my flight time anyway have you got any idea on their credibility are they a good battery brand or not, i know they make awesome nitro fuel but never used their battery packs little lone the flight batteries.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:15 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,698 Posts
Run time can be approximates by: AH * 60 / A = minutes
AH = battery Amp Hours
A = current drain in Amps

So assuming a 20 amp current draw.
A 2200mah battery would be: 2.2AH * 60 / 20A = 6.6 minutes
A 1800mah battery would be: 1.8AH * 60 / 20A = 5.4 minutes

No opinion on the battery brand you referenced.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:33 AM
Joined Apr 2014
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Run time can be approximates by: AH * 60 / A = minutes
AH = battery Amp Hours
A = current drain in Amps

So assuming a 20 amp current draw.
A 2200mah battery would be: 2.2AH * 60 / 20A = 6.6 minutes
A 1800mah battery would be: 1.8AH * 60 / 20A = 5.4 minutes

No opinion on the battery brand you referenced.

Glen
Thanks mate so you recon just set my radio timer to six minutes and i should be right.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:42 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,827 Posts
My opinions on LiPo batteries

Nobody who sells rc LiPo pack actually "makes" the cells in the packs. So, you never really know what you're getting. Quality and performance can vary from lot to lot from the same brand.

If you're flying competition or really just want or need the absolute best performance I suggest you peruse this thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1767093

For a sport flyer like me I mostly avoid expensive brands and high"C" packs. I started out with high dollar packs (TP in 2005), but I now shop price, and I stick mostly to 20 to 25"C" batteries for general sport planes. I'll buy high "C" small batteries that I know I'll be pushing hard, eg. 1300 40"C" and 2200 40"C" for a combat wing, a fast climbing glider and a 70 mm EDF
I've purchased several brands over the years (Thunder Power, Flight Power' Max Amps, Vam Power Electrifly, Zippy, Flight Max, PowerWing, DN, Xcite, Sky LiPo and others) and all but one (DN) gave me good performance and good battery life. I was flying just this weekend with some 5S 4100, 20"C" Xcite packs that I bought used in May, 2009 and they work just fine. I've used them in a 29% Giles (2 in series for a 10S system at 70 amps peak) and now in a Carbon Cub at 60 amps peak. They still hold voltage well and capacity remains good also.

I recommend you take a chance on the lower cost batteries and don't abuse them, and store them properly. Chances are you'll do OK.

Dave
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
Last edited by davecee; Apr 30, 2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:43 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,698 Posts
Quote:
Thanks mate so you recon just set my radio timer to six minutes and i should be right.
Only if you are indeed pulling an average current of 20 amps as in my example. To determine your actual current draw you need to check the current with a wattmeter.

Also keep in mind that you should not use more than 80% of a batteries capacity. That would be about 3.7V per cell after the end of the flight. I probably should have included that in the runtime calculation.

If you do not have a wattmeter (get one) set your timer for a conservative value and sneak up on the correct flight time.

If you haven't already done so I suggest you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:48 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,799 Posts
Quote:
It depends if your set up pulling 20 amps, maybe you would better to use one of these, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...18987&aff=3664 it will give you a alarm at 3.3v per cell, still plenty of time land before draining the battery to far.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:52 AM
Joined Apr 2014
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Only if you are indeed pulling an average current of 20 amps as in my example. To determine your actual current draw you need to check the current with a wattmeter.

Also keep in mind that you should not use more than 80% of a batteries capacity. That would be about 3.7V per cell after the end of the flight. I probably should have included that in the runtime calculation.

If you do not have a wattmeter (get one) set your timer for a conservative value and sneak up on the correct flight time.

If you haven't already done so I suggest you read this:
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos

Glen
For the price of battery i don't care if i even get thiry or twenty five runs each i just pushem till the die really. Also how do you 'correctly store lipo. I usually just pack em with the plane in the cupboard.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:57 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,799 Posts
Quote:
For the price of battery i don't care if i even get thiry or twenty five runs each i just pushem till the die really. Also how do you 'correctly store lipo. I usually just pack em with the plane in the cupboard.
Wow, what more can I say. How many amps are you pulling ?. Lipo storage is up to you, but I put all my lipos back to storage voltage and put them in plastic bags in my fridge, have you ever heard about lipo fires and how dangerous they can be.
Last edited by aeromaniac; Apr 30, 2014 at 07:03 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 06:59 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,827 Posts
Quote:
If that's how you really take care of your batteries, then by all means buy the cheap ones.
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee