HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2013, 04:41 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
778 Posts
Discussion
speedfreak1 Toni F1 build.... maybe

Working with speedfreak to possibly build one of his Prather Toni kits and will do build log here, but wanted to show him I have a little experience building this stuff so will post a couple of pics of the Q40 model I mold and build, as I said I dont do this as a business it is a hobby and an old F1 would lower my blood pressure

As I am in the middle of a F5D project I would not start until march-ish but will post a build log here for those interested

Dave E
D.English is offline Find More Posts by D.English
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2013, 06:39 PM
United States, Mt, Billings
Joined Feb 2012
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.English View Post
Working with speedfreak to possibly build one of his Prather Toni kits and will do build log here, but wanted to show him I have a little experience building this stuff so will post a couple of pics of the Q40 model I mold and build, as I said I dont do this as a business it is a hobby and an old F1 would lower my blood pressure

As I am in the middle of a F5D project I would not start until march-ish but will post a build log here for those interested

Dave E
I give you a thumbs up, can't wait for the build log!
Edalves68 is offline Find More Posts by Edalves68
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:53 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
782 Posts
Quote:

Dave E

Speedfreak, you won't be disappointed. Dave will do an amazing job! I would love to see your build pictures. I have been playing with some QM15 stuff recently and wished I had taken pictures.

DK
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:55 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2007
461 Posts
Really, qm15? :-)
fizzwater2 is online now Find More Posts by fizzwater2
Old Jan 11, 2014, 09:42 PM
United States, FL, Mulberry
Joined Jan 2012
94 Posts
I'm really excited about the build! I sure looks like D.English does some really beautiful work! I was thinking if it was ok with D.English, it might be fun to have everyone that is following it to help pick out the graphics and colors! Id really like to hear everyones ideas and see it come to life!
speedfreak1 is offline Find More Posts by speedfreak1
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:33 AM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
778 Posts
Works for me, just want to get the Jim Shinohara logo in there somewhere, should be fun...

DE
Old Jan 12, 2014, 06:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
94 Posts
Wow! Thats awesome! I would love that!!! I would be proud to have his logo!! We will keep his legacy flyin Formula One style!!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 06:09 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
778 Posts
Look what got here I will clean my bench and start in a week or so. Might need to get some better wood for wing skins as this stuff is HEAVY but I need to make a wood order soon...

reminds me of the time Jimmy gave me 6 of these things, I took all the lightest wood and used it on one airplane, boy that wing looked like a U at pylon one the worst part was you needed to add weight most of the time anyway...

DE
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:43 PM
Joined Jan 2012
94 Posts
Wahoo! It made it to you! I'm really excited about this build! I will send you some power here shortly! Im racing here in Mulberry right now and mentioned your name and everybody on this coast really spoke highly of you! They thought the build was cool and said you can sure build and paint! I cant wait to see her come to life! Thanks again for taking on this project!
Old Mar 21, 2014, 09:48 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
778 Posts
Thanks for that, I am looking forward to it also, tell everybody I said hello...

no rush on power, we are going to take our time and enjoy this with lots of posts and pictures

DE
Old Mar 22, 2014, 06:28 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
778 Posts
My pylon mentors in what is probably one of the first "selfies" this was taken in 1997 at the world championships for F3D pylon, a few hours later Jimmy passed away with a heart attack. I gave all my airplane stuff away and quit for 13 years.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 02:01 PM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
782 Posts
Quote:
My pylon mentors in what is probably one of the first "selfies" this was taken in 1997 at the world championships for F3D pylon, a few hours later Jimmy passed away with a heart attack. I gave all my airplane stuff away and quit for 13 years.
Great picture! Can't wait to see what you do with the Toni.

DK
dkane is online now Find More Posts by dkane
Old Mar 24, 2014, 07:58 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
778 Posts
Thanks DK, still is not the same without Jimmy around

Did some work on tail, will through a bunch of pics up this weekend, nothing earth shattering but may interest those that have never done it

Finally a scheme I always wanted to do with a few changes of course, classic racer

DE
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:36 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
778 Posts
Lets start with the tail, I CA all the pieces together and glue the elevator halves and rudder to stabilizers so I can sand and shape all in one piece. Once all finished and glassed they will be cut loose and prepped for hinges.

I do it this way so they are a perfect fit to the stabilizers so you can get judged a one for first take off.... ohh, I forgot they don't do that anymore...
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:48 PM
Hemet California
Joined Jul 2009
778 Posts
Prather cut some cool little slots around the tail parts to glue some 64th ply into. This makes the edges hard so when you ram them into the trunk or doorway at home it does not put a big gouge in your nicely shaped tail.

Not all of the old F1 kits did this but it is easily done by getting a dremel sawblade and holder, chuck it up in your drill press, set it 1/8" above table. Then start the drillpress and run sawblade all the way around the part slowly about 1/4" deep