HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2013, 09:07 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,818 Posts
Discussion
Tri-Front copter concept?

After a bicopter project thats proven a bit more effort than it was worth, Ive decided to cheat a little.
I would like to try and build a tricopter that has the front two motors move rather than the tail, technically a tail assisted bicopter.

First id start by banging multiwii bictoper and tricopter firmware together until it flies like a two tailed tricopter,
then id try and get an AUX channel fed into the yaw mixers so I can purposefully throw it off a bit with the flap slider on my transmitter.
The idea is to tweak both servos into leaning forward/backward, causing headspeed without actually pitching the nose.
Other than just looking cool/unusual, this would allow for an interesting FPV experience.

What do you guys think? Is this plan even viable?
Im aware that pitching both servos forward might cause some instability if I leave the arms swept forward,
but would it cause too much trouble to deal with if tilt is kept to less than 45' angles?

Sorry for the gritty picture, my tablet doesnt handle pictures too well.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2013, 11:15 AM
Control the Truth#1 goal inWAR
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Oct 2012
168 Posts
Yep works very well I love my scarab avatar tricopter for FPV. I added longer booms on mine than what shown in this link:

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/produc...lectronica-fpv

You just need to get the servos and boom mounts that will turn for yaw, both servos connect to same channel with Y type cable.
TonyTronicWSP is online now Find More Posts by TonyTronicWSP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: IRIS Pixi replaced first flight
Old Oct 09, 2013, 01:50 PM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,818 Posts
Wow, that frame is glorious! What a beauty! Glad to see that sort of layout is viable atleast.

Ive already got two hobbyking talon tricopter tail assemblies, and a pair of nice digital servos too.
Id be surprised if all it took was just running it as a tricopter in multiwii, but I suppose it cant hurt to try it atleast.
If its really that simple, all id have to do is copy the mixer for A0 over to A1 and thow in a little extra variable from an AUX channel.

This weekend will be rainy, I think ill simply fasten a tail to my already existing bicopter frame,
and play with the firmware a bit to see if it works, before going for the glider body.

Thanks for showing me that frame, it gave me the incentive to go for it.
Old Oct 09, 2013, 06:13 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
442 Posts
The frame appears to be a conventional fixed wing RC airplane fuselage. Maybe this will set a trend. There are a lot of fuselages available fairly inexpensive.
rhokita is online now Find More Posts by rhokita
Old Oct 10, 2013, 02:55 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,818 Posts
Yeah, that idea sprouted from when hobbyking started making fullbody multicopters.
I just tossed my bicopter testframe ontop of it, but I intend on sinking the whole thing down into the fuselage.
Im going to keep it foldable, too.

The motors each deliver 830 gram thrust, so 2490 grams of lift total, estimated AUW is about 750 grams.
So ill have a thrust to weight ratio of well over 3:1, should be a fun thing to fly around.
Might even be enough to put a camera in the nosecone with a simple OSD and video transmitter.

I get 12 minutes of flight on my 850 gram FPV quadcopter with the same motors and a 2200mAh 3s pack,
so this frame should do pretty well on the same battery. There certainly is enough room for it.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 04:33 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,444 Posts
As TonyTronic says - just use it in Tri mode and Y the servos. No need for any special mixing! Just make sure the servos are both pulling in direction needed. If build symetrically like aileron wing it will be fine

The MWC avatar linked is an awesome FPV copter....

What you could do also just for fun and a little mix work is to reverse direction of the copter so the single boom faces forward... combined with double yaw I bet that would be a first!!
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Oct 10, 2013, 04:46 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,818 Posts
Ohhh, a swept back tricopter, that's actually a fun and weird idea!
Hmmm, I wonder if I could get a boom to protrude out the nosecone hole.
I could hack the tail off so I could make the center junction in the back.
Ive got a CNC cutter so I should be able to cut a frame that slips inside from the back.
Would look like a spaceship. No FPV if I go that way though.

Thanks for the idea, ill play with that when im back from work.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 11:01 PM
Control the Truth#1 goal inWAR
United States, WA, Walla Walla
Joined Oct 2012
168 Posts
Tri-Copter ventures?

I'm interested on how the Tri-Copter front booms yaw venture working out. Back in Holland? Done with job?

Spent time there in the past, lived through queens day couple different years. Man....anyone like Grolsh? Heineken.... Amstel???? orange anyone??
Most people probably have no idea what I'm refering to.
TonyTronicWSP is online now Find More Posts by TonyTronicWSP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: IRIS Pixi replaced first flight
Old Nov 05, 2013, 04:57 AM
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,818 Posts
Havent tried yet, because ive been a bit busy with other projects,
though id gladly give it a go once ive got a little less on my plate.

I remembered there was this annoying binding issue with the talon tricopter tail mechanism though.
The only way to really solve it, is to somehow line up the top eyes of the linkage on the same axis as the servos.
As it is now, you run the risk popping the ball links off if the servo pushes them too far.
Moving the balljoints closer to the center on the servo horn sadly binds it even more.
I either fix it mechanically, or limit the throw through the multiwii firmware (and lose a bunch of resolution)..

Heres a close up shot of the mechanic: