SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Today, 01:47 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,503 Posts
I use either Miniaviation 300s (not to be confused with 300S ) or BabbelBatt 240s 2S.
BabbelBatt Thunder Power 325s are the absolute best as far as performance goes, but personally I just don't like the look of them dangling out of the bottom of the plane...

Best of all - these improved packs are no more expensive than the Eflite batteries, in fact they can sometimes even work out cheaper!

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 10:00 AM
Winter sucks
United States, NY, Big Flats
Joined Nov 2013
758 Posts
I use these and they work great- (I bought them for my MCPX BL)
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ible_USA_.html

I also use a couple of Pulse 300mAh 2S 35C batts and they work great but are more expensive. Also a little bigger and heavier than above batt.
http://www.helidirect.com/pulse-lipo...me-p-30117.hdx

I am sure these 260mAh batts would also work, but of course you'd get shorter run-times but a lighter, better balanced plane probably. Even with 300mAh batts the runtime is short.
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ible_USA_.html
BWX_ is offline Find More Posts by BWX_
Old Today, 10:57 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,753 Posts
I use the Glacier 210s, which aren't available anymore but 200s are, and they haul the mail in all of my UMX planes. In the little Habu they're good for about 3:30 flight times of ripping around the sky.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Today, 12:26 PM
Joined Oct 2014
18 Posts
Which battery would give me more power? Because honestly from habbit I usually don't have long flights, My batts almost always are at 7.45-7.58V when I plug them in. I've never dipped past 7.4V. (6.5 is around as low as you want to take a 2S batt right?)
Endersmens is offline Find More Posts by Endersmens
Old Today, 12:43 PM
Joined May 2012
8,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersmens View Post
Which battery would give me more power? Because honestly from habbit I usually don't have long flights, My batts almost always are at 7.45-7.58V when I plug them in. I've never dipped past 7.4V. (6.5 is around as low as you want to take a 2S batt right?)
Resting voltage is a crap way to measure battery health. do you have a charger that gives a readout on mAh capacity being recharged? if so, fly a short (like 1 min) flight, doing everything you would usually do, then recharge the battery. you're looking for the 80% mark determined by mAh capacity recharged. so if you're using a 200mAh battery, you dont want to recharge more than 160 mAh. After that 1 min flight, you can recharge, read how many mAh go back into the battery, and extrapolate to the 80% mark. Going below 80% causes damage to the batteries and they won't live as long.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 01:12 PM
Joined Oct 2014
18 Posts
One time it recharged 173 mah out of 200 but usually it's like 150. I've never hit LVC though, and I haven't noticed a drop in power or anything. My flights are usually shorter.
Old Today, 01:15 PM
Joined May 2012
8,753 Posts
Quote:
One time it recharged 173 mah out of 200 but usually it's like 150. I've never hit LVC though, and I haven't noticed a drop in power or anything. My flights are usually shorter.
lvc is waaaaay too low. 173 is overdoing it too. It's not catastrophic but for best battery health work it to a max of 160. It has to do with the breakdown in the ion barrier layer between the cathode & anode if you push 'em too hard.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 01:48 PM
Joined Oct 2014
18 Posts
but let me get this straight. We have a battery, that we can only use like 20 percent of the charge without permanently damaging or killing it? Why haven't we found a better way of doing thing? A more efficient battery? (sorry i'm bored at school and being random)

I'll try to keep the recharge around 150 then. I need to find a way to have an in flight mah reader. (is that a thing? I know there are voltage readers)
Old Today, 02:00 PM
Joined May 2012
8,753 Posts
Quote:
but let me get this straight. We have a battery, that we can only use like 20 percent of the charge without permanently damaging or killing it? Why haven't we found a better way of doing thing? A more efficient battery? (sorry i'm bored at school and being random)

I'll try to keep the recharge around 150 then. I need to find a way to have an in flight mah reader. (is that a thing? I know there are voltage readers)
No you can use 80% of their capacity without damaging it. All batteries work this way, with some sort of charge threshold. 80% happens to be the lipo battery high-water mark.
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 04:37 PM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,651 Posts
Someone did a REALLY thorough battery test on UMX edfs, I forget if it was habu or Mig, but same power system....
Results:
2S:
1) TP325 70C- Best power, longest flights, most thrust. - con: heaviest pack, hangs slightly out the bottom about 2mm.
2)Dinogy 300 65C, great power pretty good flight time. moderate weight.
3)Nanotech 300 65C-1bazillionC - good power good flight time - Con: spotty QC, moderate chance of getting a dud pack.

4)BB 240, Lightest common pack available, lighter than stock 200!RCBabbel has awesome service, you'll get 3:00-3:30 and the plane is is super light. And on EDFs especially light is good.

Personally: I have 3 BB240s that I use at my house. very small area to fly so the reduced weight is a HUGE plus. And a couple TP325s that I use at large areas where I can take advantage of that increased speed. This way I get the best flight for my flying area at that time.

-Brian
kalmon is online now Find More Posts by kalmon