HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 02:24 PM
Milton Keynes, UK
Joined Oct 2005
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
Stream quality is also noticeably better than Validol. Not that Validol was at all bad, but Stream quality is pretty much the best.

@ Richard, to my knowledge their aren't many Streams on the contest scene in the U.S and I'm not sure if the top launchers have one in their quiver. Your results are interesting to me, because I loved the way Validol flew, but its launches were lower than the higher AR designs. Have you flown back to back against Snipe and/or XXLite?
It is a little bit the opposite here. Not many Snipes on the contest scene in the UK so difficult to draw too many comparisons and it is a couple of years since I flew against an xx-lite in the hands of a big launcher.

I fly with Mike Stern a fair bit and we have similar launch heights when flying a Bonus. More recently Mike has been flying his flitz and we both agreed that the Stream was out- launching it at the last competition by 5-10ft. I think Mike recorded a 220ft launch there, where the Stream was a little higher.
Richard S is online now Find More Posts by Richard S
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
851 Posts
I have a Stream (3 of them actually) and a Snipe (Snipe wing on a different fuselage) and I have flown many times against other Snipes which are quite popular in my country at the moment.
I launch my Snipe a mere 2 meters higher than my Stream but in dead air I fly similar times with a small advantage to the Stream around 5 seconds or so. I've also flown against good pilots with a Snipe in super light conditions and out floated them 5 out of 6 flights even though they got a meters higher than me on the launch.

I find the Stream signals air much better than the Snipe and has a wider speed envelope when using the camber changes correctly. The Snipe is more of a "one airfoil" model, it doesn't benefit as much from camber changes, especially in speed mode where reflex kills it. Thermal mode for the Snipe does change it's behavior a bit more but you need to be conservative with the thermal settings in the Snipe or it'll cost you.

I prefer the Stream, the 2 meters I loose in comparison to the Snipe is negated by what I consider better air reading ability and slightly better float. The Snipe is still a very good model but I will be flying Streams at the next world championship in Croatia.
roydor is online now Find More Posts by roydor
Old Yesterday, 01:09 AM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,047 Posts
Snipe elevator on a Stream

I have tried for months to obtain a Stream elevator, after mine was damaged, then i tried to repair it on top of my granite counter top. Thats right i glued the other skin to the counter top, and really damaged it.
So i was wondering that since the screw holes were identical, would the change in surface area etc make an undesirable or noticeable difference. I may need to sand a little to the pedestal to get the decollate right, and that would be no problem.
John
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably
Old Yesterday, 01:51 AM
Team JR
San Diego
Joined Feb 2002
1,725 Posts
I've actually spoken to Laurynas about the spare parts availability because accidents happen. He's going to work it out with Oleg to get more tail parts and such in shipments so we have spares here in the USA.
Doug Cronkhite is online now Find More Posts by Doug Cronkhite
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Israel
Joined Nov 2006
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indubitably View Post
I have tried for months to obtain a Stream elevator, after mine was damaged, then i tried to repair it on top of my granite counter top. Thats right i glued the other skin to the counter top, and really damaged it.
So i was wondering that since the screw holes were identical, would the change in surface area etc make an undesirable or noticeable difference. I may need to sand a little to the pedestal to get the decollate right, and that would be no problem.
John
I don't see a reason why the Snipe elevator wouldn't work. The area is similar so the handling should be "in the ball park" so to speak.

Instead of sanding the mount which has very little material in it and might loose streangh add material to get the right angle. I use tape in the front or back of the elevator post to change the decalage if needed.
roydor is online now Find More Posts by roydor
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
Oleg Golovidov
Raleigh, NC, USA
Joined Sep 2004
2,375 Posts
I agree with Roy.
Mount the stab as is, try to fly it. If the trim deflection of the elevator is small, just continue flying it as is. If the deflection is VERY large (which I doubt), then think about adjusting the angle by using shims under the stab or potting the stab mount with 5min epoxy.
olgol is online now Find More Posts by olgol
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DLG assembly service
Old Today, 01:40 AM
Just Fly it
USA, CA, Bakersfield
Joined Jul 2006
2,047 Posts
Snipe Horizontal Stab for the Stream

Then thats what i shall do. Thanks. A sports outfit instead of a suit. I guess its all about trying things out anyway. Just the time commitment, and not knowing for a while if its a step up or down, until you fly against the usuals (my 661 friends) that you fly with or against.
Indubitably is offline Find More Posts by Indubitably