SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:39 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
what high voltage servo are you looking to buy for the 48" EF extra?
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2014, 09:44 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
what high voltage servo are you looking to buy for the 48" EF extra?
I've got a set of 5070MH and a 5087 (on the elevator) of my 48: MXS and I have flown a set in my 48" Edge. I fly the Edge a lot easier, so I put the 65/85 combo back in that plane, and I'm transferring my MH servos to the new Extra.

You can read about it here..............

http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...th-hitecs.html

And here.........

http://docaustinextreme.blogspot.com...mh-servos.html
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:55 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
HS-5065MG 0.11s (sec/60) with Torque @ 6v 2.2 kg.cm (30.55 oz.in)
HS-5085MG 0.14s (sec/60) with Torque @ 6v 3.5 kg.cm (48.61 oz.in)

HS-5070MH 0.12s (sec/60) with Torque @ 7.4v 3.8 kg.cm (52.77 oz.in)
HS-5087MH 0.13s (sec/60) with Torque @ 7.4v 4.3 kg.cm (59.72 oz.in)

HS-5065MG vrs HS-5070MH weight for like to like is about the same but the 7.4v cost a bit more. the gearing is steel (not titanium) so same material but the servo will have more torque because of the higher voltage yet they have about the same performance in speed.

Doc your servo get sloppy because of wear, wouldn't that be more or less the same problem?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:48 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,018 Posts
Quote:
Doc your servo get sloppy because of wear, wouldn't that be more or less the same problem?
I didn't have much of a problem with gear slop, but I did strip my share of HS65MGs banging the rudder on the ground..

The problems with hard usage are scored potentiometers, and weakened amplifiers and motors. Hitec usually takes care of me on stuff like that, but they do charge for replacing stripped gears.

The higher voltage servos won't be working so hard, or at least they will not be marginal for the job and straining to keep up , so I am hoping to get longer life out of them. It's still very early because I have not had the time to fly them exclusively, but I do want to get back to my HV MXS and get my HV Extra built.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:17 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Mar 2010
25 Posts
With all the discussion about the new Hitec HS-5070MH I just wanted to mention that I don't think its non-HV analog counterpart should be discounted. With a speed of 0.14 seconds and torque of 42 oz/in. at 6 volts this analog Hitec HS-70MG looks like it would fit the bill nicely in a 48" EXP.
Davo777 is offline Find More Posts by Davo777
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:23 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
digital servo is a must for 3d, especially if you want the fastest reaction from your system with no/minimal servo lag response. analog servo cannot cope in high speed mode and jitter when used with fast refresh rates/high speed mode. also regarding hardware and specifically servo speeds you should only be looking at servo with 0.15 sec/60 and below
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:49 AM
Honeybadger don't care...
Orlando, FL
Joined May 2010
1,774 Posts
I have a different experience- probably because I lack some of the skill others have here, but analog servos have worked just fine for me through my years of R/C- most of them flying 3D.
I think top performers might see a difference but for those of us on the lower half of the tier- analog work fine.
Not that Doc Austin is lower half tier, but he flies analog almost exclusively. Watch any video of his in this thread and come to your own conclusions.
Luv3d is online now Find More Posts by Luv3d
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:52 AM
aka: Scott Ellis
United States, MT, Billings
Joined Dec 2012
1,060 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv3d View Post
I have a different experience- probably because I lack some of the skill others have here, but analog servos have worked just fine for me through my years of R/C- most of them flying 3D.
I think top performers might see a difference but for those of us on the lower half of the tier- analog work fine.
Not that Doc Austin is lower half tier, but he flies analog almost exclusively. Watch any video of his in this thread and come to your own conclusions.
At some point--I have no idea where--human physiology limits all this. Even the quickest kid can move his thumbs or fingers only so fast. It wouldn't surprise me at all if a good analogue servo can't easily keep up with most all of us.
Xeric is offline Find More Posts by Xeric
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:34 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,018 Posts
I've been flying these airframes for four years now on analog HS65MGs and HS85MGs so there is no doubt it works. The high voltage servos just work better, though I have not tested enough to be sure how much. It's definitely better, but I'm not buying 40 servos and updating all my planes at once.

I'm going to fly all my analog stuff until it wears out because it's fine. Performance is good and I don't have many reliability problems. Anything new I build will get digital HV servos.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:03 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
Tbh it depends on the system and how many channels you use per frame refresh. Frsky have two modes for d8r rx, 16ms for analog and 9ms for high speed digital servo. I use the latter and if my servo is not digital they jitter. Dsmx on high speed its 11ms on the three prinary channels (don't know what happens if you use two channels for ailerons) the rest channels get updated (or on normal/non digital servo mode) it's 22ms.

doc is a fast flyer and I can say that he can definitely feel the difference if he fly on digital sevo with fast refresh rates - note were talking about the delay the transmitter sends the information and the receiver gets it.
How fast the servo respond to a given command, that's another subject but it purely depends on the voltage used and servo specs
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:11 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,018 Posts
Quote:
doc is a fast flyer and I can say that he can definitely feel the difference if he fly on digital sevo with fast refresh rates - note were talking about the delay the transmitter sends the information and the receiver gets it.
I'm flying an old Futaba 7C, so maybe something newer would make a difference. As it is, I'm used to it and it's reliable, so I hate to change what's working.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 09:08 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Mar 2010
25 Posts
High speed mode from what I understand (and recall reading) is a little misleading in name as what it is really used for is to allow digital servos to develop their full holding power faster and is not to be used with analog servos. With this being said it is geared more towards high performance helis and not really planes, however if it works for you in your plane with digital servos and you notice a difference I'd say stick with it.

I've used both analog and digital servos and analog work fine for me but I do notice a bit of a difference using digitals. I'm not that fast but I feel more connected to the plane and snap rolls and stopping rolls in general seems more crisp.

Oh, and by the way... I'm having a blast with my 48" Extra EXP!

x 4 Savox digital SH 0255MG servos
- Castle ICE Lite 75
- Castle 10 amp BEC
- Motrofly DM2820 870kv
Davo777 is offline Find More Posts by Davo777
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin View Post
I'm flying an old Futaba 7C, so maybe something newer would make a difference. As it is, I'm used to it and it's reliable, so I hate to change what's working.
man, if you ever get your hands on a taranis you get your moneys worth back buck for buck... Seriously I'm saying no more, look it up.
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
United States, CA, Manteca
Joined Mar 2013
698 Posts
+1 Like and so on for the taranis.
sr175 is offline Find More Posts by sr175