Find More Posts by feda
EP 3D Flyer
Hamilton, Canada
Joined Nov 2005
1,280 Posts
Discussion
Sign of Structural Damage?

Hi guys,

I have recently built and flown a 20cc pattern/3d hybrid. I enjoy its flying characteristics.

Yesterday, one of the aileron servos (Hitec 645MG) appeared to be stripped for no reason. And then I noticed there were some fresh covering wrinkles close to the failed servo. Do they indicate the wing had some serious distortion during flight? Does this suggest the structure of the wing has been damaged? And if so, what's the best way to fix it?

Thanks for your attention.

Best regards,

feda
feda is offline Find More Posts by feda
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2015, 07:33 PM
Find More Posts by KE Spin
Shore Huckin'
Ohio
Joined Aug 2010
2,731 Posts
Feda,

I have seen this a couple of times on my planes. The balsa has actually cracked where you see the wrinkle. You can use a hobby knife to carefully try to release and smooth out the wrinkle but some times the covering is actually stuck in the crack in the balsa. You can use the tip of the hobby knife or pin to poke a small hole in the covering and wick some CA into the crack for repair and you should be just fine.

You could also cut out the covering that is wrinkled, apply some CA into the crack and put a small patch over the area where you removed the covering.
KE Spin is offline Find More Posts by KE Spin
Old May 18, 2015, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by C_Watkins
This is NOT a TOY?
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jul 2011
3,031 Posts
The combination of stripped servo and damage to the surrounding mounting area
suggests to me that you experienced flutter during flight and are pretty lucky

Could be a bit of slop in the control linkage on one end or the other, bad linkage geometry, or just a weak/worn out/previously damaged servo to begin with.

Do check everything else out on the airframe. Make sure the servo screws are going into something other than balsa sheeting.
While you have the servo out, look carefully inside the hole at the surrounding wood, and in general, just give everything a good once over.
Whatever you do, in the end... make sure you have a strong, slop-free linkage, and if you did already, maybe fly that particular plane slower. I dunno. Unfamiliar with it.

Edited to add: Just now checked out the pics. Profile plane. Definitely want to keep the speeds down, on those, in general.
I recently stripped out a much stronger servo on a much larger profile by not keeping that advice
Looking like the trailing edge is cracked, there? You sure this didn't happen in the pits or loading/unloading or an 'exciting' landing?
Just checking. Definitely firm that back up, and go over the whole plane. (Wings/stab/rudder in particular)
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member