New Products Flash Sale

Leap 3D Quad Copter

Alan Szabo Puts a New Copter Through the Ringer

Splash

IRCHA News

Details are scarce, but the Leap 3D Quad Copter was on the scene at IRCHA last week. This a new receiver ready quad that includes the motors and ESC's and has two flight modes. 3D Mode will allow you to flip flop, tick tock, and fly inverted. The motors have fixed pitched bi-directional props and the programming allows the ESC's to instantly change motor direction when the throttle stick is below half, just like changing the pitch on a standard helicopter. The frame is super tough and CNC cut from carbon fiber to handle the stresses of aggressive flying. There's also LED's built in the frame that make it easier to tell orientation. Check out the video below of Alan Szabo wearing one out during a test flight.

Learn more about the Leap 3D QuadCopter here.

Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:35 AM
Find More Posts by airbagit13
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,558 Posts
Cool but useless to post this without a price. Even the website is not ready to go live.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by RainyDayRC
TEAM CIRRUS FPV
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2013
507 Posts
It looks so unnatural flying through the air doing inverted passes and tic tocs..... Interesting concept, but I don't like how the motors have to reverse direction of rotation.
RainyDayRC is offline Find More Posts by RainyDayRC
Old Aug 12, 2014, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by Sabin
The cycle is complete.
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
2,422 Posts
Well, it's either the motors reverse or servos and variable pitch linkages need to be used. Personally speaking, I like this setup. It keeps the parts count down.
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
Old Aug 12, 2014, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by Jason Cole
RCG Staff Member
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2003
6,666 Posts
Less to break also if you hit the ground. Collective systems are a mess to deal with compared to the simplicity of this system.
Jason Cole is offline Find More Posts by Jason Cole
Administrator
Old Aug 12, 2014, 02:46 PM
Find More Posts by timmaay
Helli Noob
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Nov 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
cool but useless to post this without a price. Even the website is not ready to go live.
$469.99 msrp
timmaay is offline Find More Posts by timmaay
Old Aug 12, 2014, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by airbagit13
Plane Destroyer / Life Enjoyer
Miami, FL
Joined May 2009
3,558 Posts
Dang, I would think that since it wasn't collective pitch and just used direction reversing ESCs it would have been a bit cheaper. Can't wait till one is available for under $300.
airbagit13 is offline Find More Posts by airbagit13
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
22,240 Posts
a little pricy

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaay View Post
$469.99 msrp
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by ShockThree
United States, UT
Joined Jul 2014
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbagit13 View Post
Dang, I would think that since it wasn't collective pitch and just used direction reversing ESCs it would have been a bit cheaper. Can't wait till one is available for under $300.
The blade 200QX just got a firmware update which allows it to do 3d, and it is $229.99

200 QX Aerobatic Flight Upgrade Overview:
200 QX Aerobatic Flight Upgrade Overview (5 min 53 sec)
ShockThree is offline Find More Posts by ShockThree
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:36 AM
Find More Posts by PAPE
Joined Jun 2012
465 Posts
agree price seems a bit steep, I would also consider one for around $300

I would also like to see some average pilot fling one, to get an idea of what it would look like in my hands.
PAPE is offline Find More Posts by PAPE
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:42 PM
Find More Posts by Witoldc
Joined Feb 2014
367 Posts
I was thinking of 200qx but it's only 3 minute flights in full acro mode. hmmm... Plus, I'm not so sure how hard it is to learn this.
Witoldc is offline Find More Posts by Witoldc
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:58 PM
Find More Posts by cvlex
practice, practice, practice
Japan, Tokyo
Joined Mar 2005
736 Posts
I hope that the Leap 3D quad comes with any cabin which gives good visibility/orientation.

cvlex
cvlex is offline Find More Posts by cvlex
Old Aug 27, 2014, 05:46 PM
Find More Posts by Leap3DQuad
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Aug 2014
11 Posts
Leap 3D IRCHA

Check out a video of Leap3Dquad in action at IRCHA this year. This is a prototype being flown without the canopy for this model.

Leap 3D Quad (2 min 58 sec)
Leap3DQuad is offline Find More Posts by Leap3DQuad
Old Aug 27, 2014, 06:08 PM
Find More Posts by Leap3DQuad
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Aug 2014
11 Posts
More details about the Leap3dQuad

The Leap3DQuad comes assembled and ready to bind and or link to Futaba S-Bus, Spektrum DSM, DSM2, DSMX, and also JR X-Bus. Further you will notice that the quad comes with LEDS, carbon frame, esc, motors all ready to go.

The programming of the controller lets you go from stabilized flight to full 3D flight. What is really great is that you can be in 3D mode and simply click into stabilize mode and use it as a bailout feature. So say you get disoriented just click into stabilize/bailout and your stable. Then just proceed to re-orientate yourself with the comfort of stabilization and bring it back and start again. The LED's help with orientation, and on the production models there will be a canopy to aid in orientation further.

Make sure to contact Assurance R/C for details.
562-598-4700 or sales@leap3dquad.com
Leap3DQuad is offline Find More Posts by Leap3DQuad
Old Aug 28, 2014, 01:10 PM
Find More Posts by luca biada
Team WarpSquad
Joined Jun 2014
550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockThree View Post
The blade 200QX just got a firmware update which allows it to do 3d, and it is $229.99

200 QX Aerobatic Flight Upgrade Overview: http://youtu.be/VNr-WD3Dy0s
i own 2 blade 200qx, it's a fun to fly, little micro quad with 3d capability, but the stock body is the most fragile thing i've ever seen, so don't expect to survive to a crash, also a little one.

i think the price for this quad, considering the build quality, is very convenient. looking forward to buy one, when i'll be a sufficiently able pilot )
for now i've found some amazing aftermarket frame to put on my 200qx, and after that, i will try 3d flying.

great quad, my only concern, it's a bit bigger than my tastes, i love the micro quads, portable and light.

good work
luca biada is offline Find More Posts by luca biada