SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 17, 2014, 03:41 PM
Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Joined Nov 2007
1,812 Posts
Discussion
Three Point Hydro AIR BOAT

So, it's summer and I'm thinking about AIR BOATS.

Don't want a flat-bottom boat like a Florida 'glades boat. Wanted something sleek and fast.

Saw this picture on-line. Like the looks of it, but want to go ELECTRIC instead of gas. Anybody ever do something like this?

I'm assuming that I can take a "water prop" design and put a "motor tower" and an air prop on it. Not sure if I should put the motor at the stern, or have the prop up front like in the photo. Would it be more "stable" to PULL from the front rather than PUSH (or pull) from the rear?

Want to use airplane motor & prop because I HAVE a lot of these. Rather not get into buying "water equipment" just now.

The T-tail is interesting. I'd like to use an AIR rudder, and I'm thinking about putting an ELEVATOR on the horiz stab so that I can adjust pitch. Does this make any sense, or is it a waste of time and weight?

Also, thinking about cutting the hulls from foam and then covering them w/ fiberglass & resin. At least the sponsons, and maybe the central tub. Again -- good idea or dumb?

Looking for suggestions and directions, cuz I've never built one of these before.

Thanks sailors!

Steve
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2014, 03:20 AM
Find More Posts by 785boats
RELAX. You'll live longer
Brisbane- Australia
Joined Jul 2007
3,539 Posts
Not a dumb idea at all Steve.

Do a search on Tethered Pylon hydroplanes & you should find some designs & plans that could be adapted to R/C. It's been done, & I've toyed with the idea myself. Just never got around to it.

I have partially completed an outrigger type hydro for an EDF unit but haven't finished it yet.

Perhaps the JAE 21 rigger kit would work for you, with a bit of modification.

http://zippkits.com/~zippkits/index....roducts_id=258

Cheers.
Paul.
785boats is online now Find More Posts by 785boats
Old Apr 19, 2014, 04:23 AM
Find More Posts by pompebled
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,164 Posts
Hi Steve,

Did you find this site: http://www.rcairboats.net/

Lots if info and experience with airboats!

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve
Joined Nov 2007
1,812 Posts
These are some great sites to surf. Thanks!

Any thoughts about the prop pulling from the front vs. pushing (or pulling) from the rear?

Thanks!
Flyboy Steve is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy Steve