New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2015, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by Thermalin
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,731 Posts
Good thing I have patience . Note to self.. don't get far on LG before verifying those supplied in the kit are proper size! The axle side is to short to adequately mount the wheel. - slight delay, not that this build is breaking any completion records!
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2015, 04:54 PM
Find More Posts by wcessna
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
224 Posts
Patience is a virtue. You have a lot :-)
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old Mar 27, 2015, 06:16 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,731 Posts
Started cowling in the motor with balsa tri-stock.. I know, odd, but it's working. I;l post some pics and hopefully the new landing gear. Plan to cut a hatch in the cowl hinged on one side to get motor mount \ engine access where needed. If I can get past the cowl and gear, it should then start zipping along.

Bill... The ASW-28 shipped and I'm getting a real itchy trigger finger for the MotionRC Corsair
Old May 24, 2015, 12:27 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,731 Posts
Been working at a snails pace but the cowl is mostly done and I started giving some thought to covering and realized I backed myself into a corner a bit up front so added some pieces to assist covering. I may just leave the one side open for ease for now.

I need to look at some warbird pics and figure out what to do up with forward section of the wing saddle.. .That's one of the corners I backed into.

Will start looking at mounting the tail feathers and then faring the rudder into the fuse. I really like this filler instead of the red devil spackle... much more dent proof , stronger and just as light... got it from the auto store from a recommendation above...
Old May 25, 2015, 03:02 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,731 Posts
Worked up the LE wing fairing to assist in covering and in the process of the epoxy dry on the horiz stab. Moving right along again.
Old May 25, 2015, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by EJWash1
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,580 Posts
Glad to see you back at it!

The wing fairing looks good. Are you going to bring it forward to the leading edge as well?

EJ
EJWash1 is online now Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old May 25, 2015, 08:26 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,731 Posts
Well i sorta did..
With thew hardwood dowel stringers running forward, I ended up with a situation where the stringers were about a 1\2" above the wing and about 1\4" out from the fuse so the covering would have had to tuck "back toward" the fuse where the wing meets. Soooo I made a faring toward the front so it comes down now with a very slight tuck. I didn't do any sort of LE faring per say...

I added the vertical stab with the blocks initially shaped on each side. Some more filler and faring needs to go in and a better transition of the vertical stab into the fuse. Easy stuff....... Hopefully won't be to long now. I seem to have snapped out of my funk .
Old May 25, 2015, 09:01 PM
Find More Posts by wcessna
Yes my name is Cessna.
USA, FL, Tampa
Joined Mar 2010
224 Posts
Good to see you back at it and good progress!
wcessna is offline Find More Posts by wcessna
Old May 25, 2015, 10:55 PM
Find More Posts by King of Plane
Micro collector :+)
Joined May 2008
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
Good thing I have patience . Note to self.. don't get far on LG before verifying those supplied in the kit are proper size! The axle side is to short to adequately mount the wheel. - slight delay, not that this build is breaking any completion records!
Cool build. I'm working on an SS-20 right now.

Unsure if the 60 size LG is the same as the 20 size in that:

The two ends of the LG are of different lengths after the final bend. The short end goes into the wing mounted hardwood block, the longer end is the axle for the wheel.

Is this how yours are? If so, could you have the LG mounted in reverse?

Just wondering as I read your statement about the axle being too short.

Keep up the good work. Ron
King of Plane is offline Find More Posts by King of Plane
Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,731 Posts
That was the issue... I had made one correct and the other incorrect... now matter how long you've been building.......

I have new wire and and am thinking of making the vertical drop a bit longer though not sure yet as this will make take off more squirrely.

I added a dorsal to the front of the vertical stab blending into the turtle deck to give it that old timey look. When the filler dries and sanded i'll post a pic. I'm really liking how the fuse is coming out though I'm hoping the weight will still be tolerable. This is it really... no more additions onto the original design.
Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,731 Posts
The dorsal came out pretty good .... need to do a little shaping of the vertical stab blocks on each side to finish off the rear.