HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
Joined Aug 2012
13 Posts
Discussion
Thinking about getting another plane

Hi everyone!

So a little more than 2 years ago i bought the HobbyZone Champ. Everyone was calling it indestructible so i thought why not?

It was my first RC plane (not counting air hogs) and i remember being really excited.

So i took it to a nearby small park and took off, I remember that the takeoff was smooth and it flew really well, then i turned it around. Being a complete rookie, i had forgotten that the controls become inverted and the plane started heading for a group for people, in a moment of panic, i lost all control and nosedived the plane into the grass which snapped off the wing. I put some tape on it and it flew again although it was "clunky" and this time it just fell straight out of the sky and broke pretty much everything.

So my total flight time was maybe a minute, it sucked $90 down the drain

But now I've got the itch again, should i try buying it again and see if i fare better this time around, is it possible to fly the Champ in your average backyard?
Areeb319 is offline Find More Posts by Areeb319
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM
Fly-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat
Joined Jan 2011
117 Posts
If you're itching to buy another Champ I'd say go for it! I never owned one myself but I know several RC pilots at my flying club who have one- they're great little fliers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Areeb319 View Post
, is it possible to fly the Champ in your average backyard?
Depends what you mean by "average backyard". Mine is ~100ft by ~70ft, I fly my ParkZone Citabria (similar to the champ) there quite often without incident. You need to be quick on the sticks though if flying in a space that small, I would recommend getting some practice at a large open field first until you're comfortable with the airplane.
Rogue_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Rogue_Pilot
Old Today, 12:28 AM
Beginner RC Pilot
Joined Feb 2015
6 Posts
I have never flown the champ but here is a plane that is only a few inches larger wingspan(I think) it is the Hobbyzone Super Cub S. I would consider it s park flyer because in the video they fly it in a gym sized building. It is only about $100 for the BNF I have a link to a video and to horizonhobby.com on the plane's page.

The Video-
Flite Test | Sport Cub S (9 min 57 sec)

Horizonhobby- http://www.horizonhobby.com/sport-cu...nology-hbz4480
JohnC2222 is offline Find More Posts by JohnC2222
Last edited by JohnC2222; Today at 12:53 AM.
Old Today, 12:42 AM
micro- modding madman
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areeb319 View Post
Hi everyone!

So a little more than 2 years ago i bought the HobbyZone Champ. Everyone was calling it indestructible so i thought why not?

It was my first RC plane (not counting air hogs) and i remember being really excited.

So i took it to a nearby small park and took off, I remember that the takeoff was smooth and it flew really well, then i turned it around. Being a complete rookie, i had forgotten that the controls become inverted and the plane started heading for a group for people, in a moment of panic, i lost all control and nosedived the plane into the grass which snapped off the wing. I put some tape on it and it flew again although it was "clunky" and this time it just fell straight out of the sky and broke pretty much everything.

So my total flight time was maybe a minute, it sucked $90 down the drain

But now I've got the itch again, should i try buying it again and see if i fare better this time around, is it possible to fly the Champ in your average backyard?
If you can spare an extra 30 dollars, go for the sport cub s. It's an extremely good 4- channel trainer with SAFE technology, which will help make those 'oops' moments go away.

To the poster directly above:

All of horizon's RTF and the majority of their BNF models are foam. You won't find any made of plastic.

The sport cub is a wonderful first time plane, and will allow you to grow with it and into it as you become a more competent pilot. The terms 'parkflyer' or 'micro' are just in reference to size. The SCS is the same size as the Carbon Cub, which is a bit larger than the champ. You'll find 'parkflyer' class models to be visibly larger. These micro planes are just that- micro, and as such they are more than capable of flying in very small spaces, like your yard.
Julezwatts is online now Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Old Today, 01:32 AM
doha Qatar
Joined Jan 2004
537 Posts
Regardless of which plane you get, you might want to put some time on a simulator while you are deciding on which plane.

Some people say simulators are fantastic, some people say the opposite, but even detractors will admit that they are good for developing the muscle memory around "flying away" versus "flying towards".

At first, I found that just taxiing around on the ground was good practice for this, as the orientation issue is the same on the ground as it is in the air, and I didn't have to worry about maintaining level; the ground did that for me.

Simulators can be fun in their own right, it's like playing a video game. You can do it when it's raining, dark, or you're waiting for the family to get ready to go shopping, church etc. I went through a 4 or 5 year period when I didn't fly real planes, but I used my flight simulator a lot.

The Super Cub S may become the new "starter plane" that the Champ was. When/if you come back, Champ, Super Cub S, Delta Ray, and a few others should be on your selection list as they have been proven to be good starters. There's lots of posts for beginners on "what should I get" and those planes frequently appear on them

Regards
Joe Perrone is online now Find More Posts by Joe Perrone
Old Today, 08:23 AM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,872 Posts
Sim time is key IMHO.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd