HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2014, 12:13 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,711 Posts
Discussion
Primer for foam question...

Thinking of using latex house paint primer to prepare our FF Sabre for paint. The FlyFly foam isn't the smoothest....
Has anyone found a good primer for EPS foam or tried using latex on their foamy?
Thanks Eric
4stripes is online now Find More Posts by 4stripes
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2014, 12:16 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,995 Posts
Styx water borne primer is what I use.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:19 AM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,711 Posts
Thanks Robert!
Hope to find some soon.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 01:28 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,796 Posts
Robert, this stuff?

http://www.insl-x.com/product-detail...bonding-primer

How does it sand? Do you use it to fill weave in fiberglass over foam? how heavy is it compared to spray on primer? I'd love to roll on primer over glass cloth but I've got some foam under structure and want to avoid working with foam melting primers if possible. Trouble is I'm also looking for a very light weight finish.

I used to use the water based "Warbird Colors" that were a water based polyurethane formula but they sprayed great for top coats and could be made fuel proof with an additive (I always fuel proof when I can do it for no extra weight even on electrics). They were getting hard to get, as of a couple years back, maybe I should check up on him again.
Eddie P is online now Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2014, 05:12 AM
Joined Dec 2000
6,995 Posts
That is the product. Before I started I wiped the surface down with mineral spirits. I used a 3"foam roller. I had the store tint it with 2oz of black. I used Eze-kote on the surface then 1/2 oz cloth. There was a bad seam on the center line of the tank that I had sanded to level. I did not cover the nose cone with the glass as I wanted to see how well the Styx filled the EPO pores. This was a non used part for my FF Hunter I am experimenting on. This photo is prior to sanding.

The primer sands well, I'll post a photo of the sanded part.
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Dec 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Dec 2000
6,995 Posts
More photos
Old Dec 10, 2014, 02:44 PM
Joined Dec 2000
6,995 Posts
Ed,
Check out this product:
Deluxe Materials Eze-Kote (4 min 50 sec)

I found it works exactly as claimed. I plan to do the following on the other wing tank as a test.
I'll apply EZE Kote to the clean EPO, Lightly sand and then apply the glass cloth with the EZE Kote.
Sand and then apply a second coat of EZE Kote. Lightly sand and then spray a Lacquer based High Build Primer filler. I will weigh the part at each step to keep track of the weight of the part.
Old Dec 10, 2014, 06:17 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,711 Posts
We bought a quart of water based acrylic primer (house brand from Home hardware) and tried it on the EPS Sabre. It takes several coats with sanding between coats, but it does improve the surface.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:08 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,796 Posts
That's almost exactly how I (used to) glass using water based polyurethane as a resin. However, I never brushed on the WBPU without or before the cloth. To begin, I spray a very light coat of water via a water sprayer over the balsa (for balsa finishes and not enough to get the wood wet or warp it). Let the wood grain swell slightly and sand smooth after 20 minutes of drying - it gets really smooth. Carefully vacuum off the dust. Then lay down the cloth over the part, dry brush it for the static cling to hold it down nice over the surface as it should be. Then with a soft brush, paint on the WBPU over the glass cloth just like in the video. I used Varathane Polycrilic Matte finish from Home Depot. For some reason Minwax polyurethane is not as nice as Varathane to work with IMHO. I wonder how this product in the video compares. I've also used a very expensive German import hobby WBPU called HSB. Similar to hardware store product just 4 times the cost.

The reason I said "used to" regarding WBPU in the first line, is I tend to rely on epoxy resins these days for superior strength without a whole lot (if any) weight gain. Pound for pound I seem to be able to get better finishes quicker and stronger using epoxy resin thinned or quality low viscosity straight epoxy resin over the cloth. Then I use primer to fill the weave. Before paint the airframe looks like a speckled Hyena (you see partially primed glass sanded nearly free of primer in the high spots, small primer patches, filler in the former low spots or gaps, wood or foam under clear glass high spots, etc) But it's baby smooth, and as light as it will get for the paint.

I'll have to check out the Stix primer though, it might be what I've been looking for.

Also, Bobby, if you think the product in the video is different than WBPU at the hardware store let me know! I might try it. Thanks for posting the video, it was interesting to watch (that guy would take 40 years to cover that Spitfire though )
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:18 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
3,711 Posts
The Beauti-tone super adherent primer we used is pretty hard to sand. After checking their website
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/index/...ps/primers.htm

I noticed they don't say it is sandable! Their other drywall primer IS sandable so I will likely add a couple coats to my plane and see how well it looks.
Perhaps the super adherent would be good for the first coat on a model especially EPO then do subsequent coats of drywall primer.
Last edited by 4stripes; Dec 12, 2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 11:16 AM
Joined Dec 2000
6,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post

Also, Bobby, if you think the product in the video is different than WBPU at the hardware store let me know! I might try it. Thanks for posting the video, it was interesting to watch (that guy would take 40 years to cover that Spitfire though )

Ive never used WBPU so I really cant answer that question. I posted some more info in my blog.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 05:57 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,796 Posts
Great project
RCG Plus Member