HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Skywalker X6

The Skywalker legacy continues...

Splash

New design with built-in D-sub connectors

The Skywalker X6 is a new flying wing designed for FPV and is available through FPVModel.com (amongst other overseas retailers). The X6 has quite a bit of wing area for its 59" wingspan, and should be able to carry a nice payload of batteries and FPV gear. One of the seldom seen features on foam FPV kits are the D-subminiature (D-sub) 9-pin connectors at the root of each wing. The idea is to solder all of your servo and video transmitter wires to each connector for easy wing removal during transport. If you're handy with a soldering iron (which you should be if you're into FPV) then this should be a relatively easy task.

The center fuselage is quite robust for the Skywalker X6's size and features two hatches with plastic locks. The wings feature pre-cut servo wire channels, servo pockets, and a video transmitter bay (one on each side to choose from). We also like the dogtooth leading edge (similar to a wing fence) designed to reduce stall tendencies at higher angle of attack and slow speeds.

Specs:

• Wing span: 1500mm (59")
  • Wing area: 60dm2
  • Weight: 770g empty

Recommended electronics:

• Motor: 2814KV 980
  • ESC :40-60A
  • Propeller 11X7*
  • Battery: 4S 5000mAh

Link to product web page

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Dec 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM..

Discussion

Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:17 PM
Dacula, GA
Joined Feb 2008
3,935 Posts
Interesting idea with the built-in d-subs. Get one Matt and let us know how it flies.
rpstar is offline Find More Posts by rpstar
Old Dec 22, 2013, 03:26 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,395 Posts
Heh. I've got too many FPV planes as-is! But if FPVModel wants to send me one I'll give it a proper review...
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:09 PM
UK, Hertfordshire, Hitchin
Joined Aug 2007
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar View Post
Interesting idea with the built-in d-subs. Get one Matt and let us know how it flies.
It's nice that they have the connectors in. But Sub-D's were never intended for blind mating, so I'd be nervous about a partial mate. Nice idea though. Good looking plane too.
Ben Cook is offline Find More Posts by Ben Cook
Old Dec 22, 2013, 04:47 PM
What place .... is this ???
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2011
1,571 Posts
I want to see a spin recovery first. Electrical connectors in the wing is a good idea, I wonder if this wing will flex like an X8, could make life interesting. Err if anyone is looking for a test pilot And a central fin, that will make a difference too.
Heppy Ket is offline Find More Posts by Heppy Ket
Old Dec 22, 2013, 07:31 PM
United States, ID, Kuna
Joined Feb 2008
105 Posts
competition sailplanes have been using this method for close to 20 years now......
lfinney54 is offline Find More Posts by lfinney54
Old Dec 22, 2013, 07:44 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,395 Posts
With the size of the spar, and it's proximity to the connector, it should be issue free... Should.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2013, 09:39 PM
The Aero Scout
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2013
111 Posts
What about some flight footage please Matt? It looks like you've got a rig setup, so come on mate, show us how she handles.

Have you got her packed into a hard case yet? Would be great to see how well she transports too.
JasonWallis is offline Find More Posts by JasonWallis
Old Dec 22, 2013, 09:48 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,395 Posts
This is a press release/news article on the X6. I don't have one... yet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:48 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
907 Posts
I was about to question the motor selection. I was thinking "THERE IS NO WAY.. you would run that big of a prop on a 2,814KV motor.... besides why would you want that high of a KV motor? That would be less efficient! " But then I deicded to look at the website and realized it's just the way it's written: 980/1000KV that makes more sense.
MaydayMayday is offline Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:37 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
5,005 Posts
The RangeVideo PowerPackage sounds tempting for this new X6.....
rclab1 is online now Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Dec 25, 2013, 02:39 AM
Joined Jul 2010
77 Posts
OK, I need to select between X6,X7 and x8 . What would be the differences ? I need to mount a Sony Nex in it. Any dimensions of the belly ? I think x6 is wider than x7 ?
gauravag is offline Find More Posts by gauravag
Old Jan 07, 2014, 10:33 AM
AGL Aerial Video Solutions
United States, AL, Alabaster
Joined Jul 2010
157 Posts
looks tempting. I lost my X7 to a programming issue with my Open Lrs. It flew great. Big hopes for this guy.
kev9974 is offline Find More Posts by kev9974
Old Jan 07, 2014, 05:56 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,913 Posts
I may just get one of these as I crashed my original 1680mm SW but its repairable but I think its time to change. I'm just dreading having to re-tune my OSD Pro RTH settings as now in the SW it's tuned perfectly and returns to home without a single problem.

Another thing I'm not real keen on is the bum waggle you get with wings. I set up a wing a while back and I tried everything possible to eliminate the waggle and just gave up in the end as I just couldn't get it to stop!
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman