HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2015, 04:53 AM
Joined Jan 2015
5 Posts
Discussion
BEST charger for the $$?

I have an older Peak charger and also an older Balancer. I'm about to buy a few new , fresh Lipos for my T-Rex 450SE, and I'd like to get a USER -FRIENDLY digital charger/balancer... I never could properly balance the batteries before... and was always concerned about the lips charging too long.

1) Any charger/Balancers recommended?? Any to stay away from??? I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible while still getting a quality charger/balancer.

2) I'm gonna upgrade the battery on my Futaba 7C. Anyone heard of the new batteries they're using now? Life-somethign or other?

LINKS would be great to for these items... thanks, friends!
-Tomplay
Tomplay25 is offline Find More Posts by Tomplay25
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2015, 05:22 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,691 Posts
B6 is about as low as you want to go ... 50W ...

B8 is more power ...

That's the thing - as you go for more and more watts - the price steeply increases.

I fly lots of 3S 2200 powered stuff ... 4S up to 3000mAh as well ... with a couple of 5S ... so my needs are moderate.

I have a bank of three B6 chargers ... buying a charger every few months spreads the cost ... I get multiple battery charging without risk of ONE charger failing leaving me without ...

But That's me ... I have time to charge and I like the B6 will run of my car ciggy socket without overloading the socket. I can even run it of my Glow Field Box SLA.

It charges every battery in my arsenal ... NiCD, NiMH Tx and Rx, LiPo's ...

It all comes down to how much you want to spend ... with the iMax B6 being about as low as you should go and still have a reasonable quality charger. If you can afford a little more - then step up from that to a 80W or higher ...

You will now be inundated with so many choices - the mind will boggle .. some excellent - some just fail to to stay with your specifics - some just downright lost the plot !! ...

Cheers
Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:29 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
6,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomplay25 View Post
I have an older Peak charger and also an older Balancer. I'm about to buy a few new , fresh Lipos for my T-Rex 450SE, and I'd like to get a USER -FRIENDLY digital charger/balancer... I never could properly balance the batteries before... and was always concerned about the lips charging too long.

1) Any charger/Balancers recommended?? Any to stay away from??? I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible while still getting a quality charger/balancer.

2) I'm gonna upgrade the battery on my Futaba 7C. Anyone heard of the new batteries they're using now? Life-somethign or other?

-Tomplay
How about you providing some links. You ask for advice on a charger but don't tell what batteries you are charging or how much you have to spend.

Nigel gave you some good choices. I personally would go for a higher wattage charger. Consider the iCharger 206B. For higher power go with the FMA CellPro 10XP or the PowerLabs.
http://www.progressiverc.com/chargers/battery-chargers

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:34 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
How about you providing some links. You ask for advice on a charger but don't tell what batteries you are charging or how much you have to spend.

Nigel gave you some good choices. I personally would go for a higher wattage charger. Consider the iCharger 206B. For higher power go with the FMA CellPro 10XP or the PowerLabs.
http://www.progressiverc.com/chargers/battery-chargers

Glen
Hi Glen ... I based my answer on his 450SE Heli ... which I run 3S 2200 LiPo's in.

As I said - the 50W is "adequate" as long as like me you have the time and don't mind ... I solved most of that by buying more chargers ...

If I was starting again ? I would probably look at 80 - 100W .... but I'm a Scrooge !!

Cheers
Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Jan 27, 2015, 11:47 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,392 Posts
Yeah, you should definitely stay away from the FAKE, as opposed to CLONE, IMAX B6.
I'm also not a fan of the 4-button charges that 'claim' to be AC/DC. They are ALL DC. The AC ones simply have a laptop power supply inside which tends to get hotter than outside and burn out earlier, making it hard to replace to boot.

How to tell if you have a fake IMAX B6:
(All chargers of this type are clones. Clone is not the same as fake/counterfeit)
http://www.skyrc.com/antifake/indexen.php

Imax B6 Charger - HobbyKing Product Review (2 min 7 sec)

TEST of a Fake iMax B6 (I CAN'T Recommend it) - Ec-Projects (12 min 37 sec)
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:17 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,525 Posts
In addition to the FMA and iChargers that Glen recommended, I recommend this charger for your particular application: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...e_Charger.html. It's an iCharger 206B OEM at lower cost.

It's wildly superior to the 50W / 4-button chargers, has 6X greater power and diagnostic functions (internal resistance check) that the entry-level chargers lack, and only costs ~twice that of the 50-watt chargers.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2015, 04:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
In addition to the FMA and iChargers that Glen recommended, I recommend this charger for your particular application: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...e_Charger.html. It's an iCharger 206B OEM at lower cost.

It's wildly superior to the 50W / 4-button chargers, has 6X greater power and diagnostic functions (internal resistance check) that the entry-level chargers lack, and only costs ~twice that of the 50-watt chargers.
+1 Beat me to it.

That is hands down the best charger for the money. Today. End of discussion.

I have an FMA PowerLab 6 which I acquired new for $180.00 including some connectors. Do I have a better charger? Yes. Better for the money? No.

Same with the 50 watt chargers mentioned in this thread in a different context. Are they cheaper? Yes, in all senses of the word. Are they better for the money? Absolutely not.
Jon58 is offline Find More Posts by Jon58
Old Jan 27, 2015, 05:24 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,210 Posts
+1 on that.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:04 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,864 Posts
Parallel charging is fun with the reactor
eckace1 is offline Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:44 PM
AMA 1042906
United States, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2008
1,177 Posts
206b iCharger- Best charger I've had yet. Should have bought this one as my first one and I wouldn't have several unused chargers sitting on the shelf.
swimmer is offline Find More Posts by swimmer
Old Jan 27, 2015, 08:49 PM
Joined Jan 2007
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomplay25 View Post

-Tomplay
Add me to the list of those that recommend the Cellpro Powerlab chargers. I've got two PL8, overkill for your needs. A number of my club members also have these Cellpro chargers. All are quite happy with them.

But the Powerlab 6 units are a very good charger that allows the user to fully customize its LCD display to show exactly what you are charging, right down to allowing you to name the battery being charged. My PL8 charger has 25 user configurable charge modes for everything from a 200 Mah LiPo cell to a 6S2P A123 pack charged at 20 Amps. The user types in the exact text he wants to identify the battery being charged. Like one of my PL8 charge modes shows "TwinStar" "2S A123" on the LCD display for my TwinStar model.

I've even put my full name and phone number into my PL8's LCD display when its first powered up. (You do need the Cellpro USB dongle to do this however.)
vollrathd is online now Find More Posts by vollrathd
Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:54 PM
mCPx
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
I recommend this charger for your particular application: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...e_Charger.html. It's an iCharger 206B OEM at lower cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon58 View Post
+1 Beat me to it.

That is hands down the best charger for the money. Today. End of discussion.

I have an FMA PowerLab 6 which I acquired new for $180.00 including some connectors. Do I have a better charger? Yes. Better for the money? No.

Same with the 50 watt chargers mentioned in this thread in a different context. Are they cheaper? Yes, in all senses of the word. Are they better for the money? Absolutely not.
Well said! I have the Reaktor 300W. Puts most other chargers sold by HobbyKing to shame.
Race Miata is offline Find More Posts by Race Miata
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,684 Posts
my advise get a charger that will charge 4 batteries at a time. i bought 2 single chargers before i realized my mistake. then i got a 4 port charger and now charge 6 at a time. much better!!!!!!!!!!!!
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
United States, MI, Wyandotte
Joined Dec 2014
125 Posts
Id get a Vista AP 625 charger.. for $81..http://www.aliexpress.com/item/EV-PE...907855676.html
BigBadDogg is online now Find More Posts by BigBadDogg
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadDogg View Post
Id get a Vista AP 625 charger.. for $81..
...and you'd be paying more for a charger with fewer features that is inferior to the Reaktor 300W...

I say this from experience as I own several iChargers (Reaktor OEM) as well as an AK840 which is the big brother of the AP625.
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member