HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 06:56 PM
Joined Dec 2014
71 Posts
Discussion
Any way to charge this NiCd?

I have a Graupner Polaron EX Charger. I'd like to know if there is any way to charge the below battery and if so what settings would I use? It's my daughters and she's lost the original charger that came with it. No other info is on the batter that I can see.

I do have clips that can clip to the terminals on the battery.

I'm fairly new to charging and have only done Lipo's on the EX.

Thanks
Sardian is online now Find More Posts by Sardian
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:46 PM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,896 Posts
Is there another label that shows the mAh rating of that battery? Charging is current-based, so the mAh value would be critical to setting the correct charge rate. If you have no label, then I'd charge it at a 50mA charge rate for more than 24 hours, and discharge it with the charger, just to see what the capacity might be. I'd use that current because you can leave a NiCd charging at 1/10C or less for a fairly long time, without damage. I would assume that it is more than 500mAh capacity, so 50mA would be less than 1/10C.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Jan 23, 2015, 04:29 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,941 Posts
Since the Polaron EX is only intended to charge 1-14 NiCd cells and that battery has 16 cells I'd say you have a real problem. You might be able to get a partial charge into it but I wouldn't trust it myself. Sorry.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 23, 2015, 10:32 AM
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,896 Posts
I find it curious that charger is rated for 7 LiPo cells, meaning the output voltage can reach 29.4V, but only 14 NiCd cells, which only require 21.7V. Must be something in the delta peak detection that limits it?
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:41 AM
Joined Dec 2014
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Since the Polaron EX is only intended to charge 1-14 NiCd cells and that battery has 16 cells I'd say you have a real problem. You might be able to get a partial charge into it but I wouldn't trust it myself. Sorry.

Steve

Thanks. That answers my question. The Chargers for these batteries are still available. Looks like I'll be ordering a replacement. They are pretty inexpensive and easy for my daughter to use so that would prob be better anyway.
Sardian is online now Find More Posts by Sardian