HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2015, 04:07 PM
Barcelos - Portugal
Joined Apr 2003
45 Posts
Does anyone know what can I do to fix this?

Hi,

I have just finished my project and got very disappointed

I shorted 6-9-10 and also tried 6-8-10 with a 370Ωpotentiometer between 3 and 9.

Both configurations work with fan in top speed and then shut down after a few minutes charging in parallel 2 6s 5000mAh 40C at 7Ah.

Thanks,
JFonseca
J Fonseca is offline Find More Posts by J Fonseca
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2015, 07:27 AM
Pilot in training
Joined Dec 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Fonseca View Post
....with a 370Ω potentiometer between 3 and 9.

Both configurations work with fan in top speed and then shut down after a few minutes charging in parallel 2 6s 5000mAh 40C at 7Ah.

Thanks,
JFonseca
Have you tried it without the pot installed? That pot value is pretty low, if you are pushing the PS close to its OVP (over volt protection) or maybe thermal protection, it will shutdown.
The PS should delivery a solid 12.5v without adjustment.
The charger should step up the voltage for 6s, so there isn't a huge need to crank up the PS to 13.6 or so.
It's possible the supply is bad, I load tested mine with some car headlights connected in parallel. With 4 of the right headlights you can pull about 20 amps off the supply.

I think that 370 ohm pot is the problem, too low. Most are saying 10K is needed, I personally don't adjust my supply's voltage. Pins are left open, works great.
Dr. Build is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Build
Old Jan 23, 2015, 07:38 AM
Barcelos - Portugal
Joined Apr 2003
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Build View Post
Have you tried it without the pot installed? That pot value is pretty low, if you are pushing the PS close to its OVP (over volt protection) or maybe thermal protection, it will shutdown.
The PS should delivery a solid 12.5v without adjustment.
The charger should step up the voltage for 6s, so there isn't a huge need to crank up the PS to 13.6 or so.
It's possible the supply is bad, I load tested mine with some car headlights connected in parallel. With 4 of the right headlights you can pull about 20 amps off the supply.

I think that 370 ohm pot is the problem, too low. Most are saying 10K is needed, I personally don't adjust my supply's voltage. Pins are left open, works great.
I tried both ways: 6-9-10 without potentiometer and 6-8-10 with potentiometer
Old Jan 23, 2015, 09:32 AM
Pilot in training
Joined Dec 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Fonseca View Post
I tried both ways: 6-9-10 without potentiometer and 6-8-10 with potentiometer
Well that doesn't sound good. Perhaps the supply is weak, self protecting at lower levels. Can you run anything off the supply for a good length of time? Does it seem to get hot? Does it make noise beyond the fans?

From what I know you shouldn't be hitting the max at the charging you are attempting. This little supply delivers 45A easily. You should be under that by half.

6-8-10 pins (on external connector) are what you want shorted to turn the thing on. Short ping 4 to ground for slow/auto fan speed. Did you use the external connector or crack the case and access the ribbon cable?
6 = PsKill
8 = Gnd
10 = PsOn

Maybe looking at the wrong device, what kind of history do you have with the charger itself, is it shutting down for some reason? Again, overloading, over heating, etc.?
Put a Volt meter on the output of the supply when you charge, does the supply drop, increase, swing up and down?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 05:14 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh
Joined Jun 2014
52 Posts
I've just got a DPS 600PB B off ebay, the description said it was 'fully working and tested', however it seems to be totally dead. I've got it plugged in and the green LED isn't on, no noise, no fan, shorting the usual pins does nothing. I've tried a few different plug cords and wall sockets - still nothing.

Before I go contacting the seller, is there anything incredibly obvious I'm missing?

Thanks
FiftySlicks is online now Find More Posts by FiftySlicks
Old Jan 23, 2015, 07:40 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Build View Post
6-8-10 pins (on external connector) are what you want shorted to turn the thing on. Short ping 4 to ground for slow/auto fan speed.
+1. Short 6, 8, and 10, don't add a potentiometer, and see how it behaves.

Also measure the voltage you're getting. With no adjustment, mine put out 12.5V.

If you still have the potentiometer hooked up, what is the voltage with it connected? I was not able to raise my voltage much above 12.5V before my supplies started shutting down under a heavier load, over ~20A.
RedOctobyr is online now Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Jan 23, 2015, 07:52 PM
Barcelos - Portugal
Joined Apr 2003
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
+1. Short 6, 8, and 10, don't add a potentiometer, and see how it behaves.

Also measure the voltage you're getting. With no adjustment, mine put out 12.5V.

If you still have the potentiometer hooked up, what is the voltage with it connected? I was not able to raise my voltage much above 12.5V before my supplies started shutting down under a heavier load, over ~20A.
I get 12.5V without pot and 13.5V with.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 08:14 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,458 Posts
Based on using my 2 supplies, 13.5V is too high. I ran 13.25V for a while, but when I started drawing 20A and above, they started shutting down. I adjusted my potentiometer fully, dropping the voltage to 12.7V, and now I can draw the full 47A.

If you haven't already, do the test again with just 6-8-10 shorted, no potentiometer.

Then, if that works OK, short the pin to slow the fan, and repeat the test. I have the fan pin shorted on both of my supplies.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 01:03 AM
Pilot in training
Joined Dec 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiftySlicks View Post
I've just got a DPS 600PB B off ebay, the description said it was 'fully working and tested', however it seems to be totally dead. I've got it plugged in and the green LED isn't on, no noise, no fan, shorting the usual pins does nothing. I've tried a few different plug cords and wall sockets - still nothing.

Before I go contacting the seller, is there anything incredibly obvious I'm missing?

Thanks
Voltage on output under load? As mentioned by a few, 12.5v solid without a voltage adjustment pot, should hold that voltage easily to 45A. Do you get 12.x on output without load? And then with a load?
Last edited by Dr. Build; Jan 24, 2015 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Too wordy...simplified...
Old Jan 24, 2015, 06:13 AM
Barcelos - Portugal
Joined Apr 2003
45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Based on using my 2 supplies, 13.5V is too high. I ran 13.25V for a while, but when I started drawing 20A and above, they started shutting down. I adjusted my potentiometer fully, dropping the voltage to 12.7V, and now I can draw the full 47A.

If you haven't already, do the test again with just 6-8-10 shorted, no potentiometer.

Then, if that works OK, short the pin to slow the fan, and repeat the test. I have the fan pin shorted on both of my supplies.
Do you mean shorting 4-6-8-10? Or 6-8-10 and then 4 shorted with what?
Old Jan 24, 2015, 07:52 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,458 Posts
If you wanted to also slow the fan, yes, shorting 4-6-8-10.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
My DPS-600PB works without short any pins!!! Why? The seal is original and unimpaired (unopened).
I plug only the main plug in and it works. i have 12.9 V

Have i a special version? See the Picture
I want to use a switch like in this tutorial: http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174225
How can i realise it?

Thanks for Help.
Heliox is offline Find More Posts by Heliox
Last edited by Heliox; Jan 24, 2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 08:25 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,458 Posts
The voltage is higher than mine (which are a different rev #, etc, than yours), and mine needed pins connected to power up.

Will yours run a charger at the moment? Just to make sure that the supply will actually supply some current?

I assume this was bought from eBay, or at least should not have already been modified internally by another user? That it's supposed to be a "normal" supply?

You can always switch the AC mains on and off (using a power strip is the easiest example) , even if the supply itself is different than the typical ones.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 08:49 AM
Joined Jan 2015
2 Posts
This was bought on ebay an it was not modified.
I have make a test if the PSU works. At first i have shorten the pins and then i have it pluged to main voltage. But then i have opened the shorten pins an the DPS-600PB still works. I have unplugged all, wait some minutes an plugged in without shorten any pins and it works. But the test is without load. Do you think the pins works with load? Currently i can not test it under load.

The Fan Pins to make it quieter also not work.
Whats up with this PSU?
Heliox is offline Find More Posts by Heliox
Old Jan 24, 2015, 09:10 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,458 Posts
As I recall, my fan turned on with no pins connected, just plugging the supply into the wall. But I don't remember whether it showed any output voltage before connecting pins together, sorry.