Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 02, 2006, 01:16 AM
Striving to Rip the Bring
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Discussion
Lets go to laguna this weekend...

I've been thinking that this hurricane down in mexico should give us some interesting winds, and a quick look at the NWS shows that it should be blowing east sunday,and probably monday.

Which means...LAGUNA MTN will be working for the first time in a long time.

Sunday is predicted to be a nice 15mph breeze throughout the mountains, which means it should be 20+ at the bowl.

NWS hasn't posted wind forecasts for monday yet, but my hunch is that it will blow considerably harder than sunday. However, that increased wind may be accompanied with some warm weather rain.

Don't miss this chance to fly san diego's biggest slope...3200' of steep vertical goodness in a huge bowl that faces north to east with miles and miles of nice smooth desert air ahead of it.

I'm stoked about this, I love laguna air, and hope to make it both days rain or shine.

--Alex
raptor22 is offline Find More Posts by raptor22
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2006, 06:58 AM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor22
NWS hasn't posted wind forecasts for monday yet, but my hunch is that it will blow considerably harder than sunday. However, that increased wind may be accompanied with some warm weather rain.
CAZ058-030245- SAN DIEGO COUNTY MOUNTAINS- 330 AM PDT SAT SEP 2 2006

.TODAY...MOSTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING...THEN PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS 95 TO 105. LIGHT WINDS BECOMING SOUTH 15 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION 20 PERCENT.

.SUNDAY...MOSTLY SUNNY IN THE MORNING...THEN PARTLY CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS 92 TO 102. LIGHT WINDS BECOMING EAST 15 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. CHANCE OF MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION 30 PERCENT.

.LABOR DAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE MORNING...THEN CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS 84 TO 94. WINDS EAST 15 TO 20 MPH. CHANCE OF MEASURABLE PRECIPITATION 50 PERCENT.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Sep 02, 2006, 10:55 AM
oceanside, ca
oceanside, ca
Joined Mar 2006
212 Posts
So is that weather report good or bad for Sunday? Sorry, don't know Laguna. Also, how is landing, and is it ok for combat? Thanks.
a67676767 is offline Find More Posts by a67676767
Old Sep 02, 2006, 11:19 AM
San Diego, socal, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, the Orion arm, Milky way, Universe
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Thanks pete!

Quite good. It means we will probably be about 20 mph straight in, since the wind is usually a little higher than predicted at the slope...so you can probably plan for some amazing lift.

Combat? We have done it once or twice, but I am going to give that a "no". Its not very recoverable, simply because it is SO huge and steep.
Old Sep 02, 2006, 11:45 AM
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Cmon, guys...who is going to take advantage of this?
Old Sep 02, 2006, 11:56 AM
San Diego
Joined Apr 2003
4,280 Posts
I could be persuaded to come out Monday morning for a bit
Bill L is offline Find More Posts by Bill L
Old Sep 02, 2006, 02:07 PM
"Will crash for food."
California
Joined Feb 2006
863 Posts
Sounds like fun. Never flown there. 3,200 ft....sometime try Crestline at 5,200 ft. Big air 75% of the time. Where exactly is Laguna Mountain?

-Paige
PLA0242 is offline Find More Posts by PLA0242
Old Sep 02, 2006, 05:19 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
Joined Jun 2004
7,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLA0242
Where exactly is Laguna Mountain?
For turn by turn directions, goto my Slope Information Pages and click on Mount Laguna, Pine Valley in the left pane. There's also a good weather observations link*** to a site right on the edge of the escarpment not far from the flying site.

Pete

*** looks like the wind data is out of commission right now.
Old Sep 02, 2006, 09:04 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
Joined Jun 2004
7,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor22
Cmon, guys...who is going to take advantage of this?
I'll visit Mt. Laguna this season but not this weekend. It took me 50 minutes to go 1-1/4 miles on the 210 at the junction of I-10 yesterday and I don't think I-5 'tween Sandy Eggo and Orange Counties will be much better on Monday evening.

Me thinks I'll be flying closer to home this weekend.

A LOT closer.

Pete
Old Sep 03, 2006, 03:41 PM
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Yeah, I knwo exactly how you feel, I was mostly shouting out to the SD guys.

I haven't left yet, but it is still looking pretty good for today, with higher winds tommorrow.
Old Sep 04, 2006, 11:00 PM
On the banana boat
San Diego,Montgomery
Joined Oct 2004
847 Posts
Went out to Laguna today and found all my regular Buddies from Blossom Valley there.
There was about 5 or 6 of us, most every one one was flying foam. A good time had by all. Wind was 25ish and the Blutos were haulin. Only saw one glass ship and it was my Pike. It seemed very happy to have its legs stetched a little. The landings in the rotor were exiting but every one brought thier toys home no worse for wear. On the way home Greg showed me another place up by the obsevatory that offers an LZ whith smoother air.
Throne is offline Find More Posts by Throne
Old Sep 05, 2006, 12:53 AM
Joined Apr 2003
6,320 Posts
Yep, the condtions were pretty impressive today. We had a fairly large group of interested observers, which is fairly rare for laguna as well.

--Alex