HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2006, 02:51 PM
Some call me the other guy!
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,394 Posts
Build Log
LazerKuts Hydro-Extreme

I am doing this because I have bought two of this on Monday 13,, 2006.

After building one I have found that this is a nice and easy build. You just need to take your time building it. Don't rush like I did!
The manual is straight forward and easy to follow, plenty of pictures.

It is made by LazerKuts and it is well cut out. I have noticed that Horizon Hobby is selling these kits for 59.99 which is higher than some of the other kits on the market, but it is not cheaply done either! Me I like foam models made of 6MM Depron. This one is made out of 3MM, It is surprisingly sturdy.

I think this is a great model. I haven't flown it yet cause it is below freezing here in Portland, Oregon. Which I would normally fly in, but the wind is gusting above 45MPH today. So no flying unless I am going to fly one of my Zagi's. (36", 48", and 60". These are the only things that I have, that can handle 50MPH windy days. I do it all the time, in High winds!)

Back to what I am here for today.

Well the build went well, If you can follow directions you won’t have a problem. Remember this the more glue the more heavy, it will be! I decided to oracover mine cause I have nevr done it before just patching. The sponsons were the hardest part for me.

I ran a 4mm flat CF rod from the front deck to the rear in the midlle of it all. Also put two layers of carbon fiber strips under each sponson, Cause it will be landing on the street!

I am running
3 S75 servos
A20-20L
Hacker 20 ESC
Hitec 055 REC
Polyquest 1200mah batteries!

This is great combo for an 18 oz plane, so in a 13oz. one it should make the rudder shake. Will be running 9X4.7 prop!
DoctorAudio is offline Find More Posts by DoctorAudio
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2006, 01:41 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2003
537 Posts
Hi Doc,

What is the size of this plane. Wing span or width? Also length?
What is the recommended motor? and what is the planned weight?
Not much info at Laserkuts or Horizon.

Thanks,
Bob
boberos is offline Find More Posts by boberos
Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:39 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boberos
Hi Doc,

What is the size of this plane. Wing span or width? Also length?
What is the recommended motor? and what is the planned weight?
Not much info at Laserkuts or Horizon.

Thanks,
Bob
Length: 27 inches
Width: 18-34
Flying Wieght 13.05oz
Wing area: 319sq. in.

That is all the info I can give you there. I guess what we call wingspan is now the width.

Mine came in just under 12.65 oz and it went up a 1using oracote to cover it it is my first.

Now they want yo to buy these to run this boat / plane!

Radio: Spektrum DX6
Motor: Eflight Brushless 370 Outrunner 1360KV
Eflight 20 amp Brushless ESC
Servos: 3 X S75 Sub Micro Servos
Battery: ThunderPower 1320
Prop: 8 X 3.8
Old Feb 24, 2006, 02:49 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,394 Posts
Okay I played with it on the ground and I was having some glitching, The rec is doing something I don't like so it will go back to the manufactuer. Got enough junk around here.
I then took it to a big field man was it fun running all over the grass had a little fun there. So far so good. Then I took it up in the air and man was it nice it flys great. I would not use alot of elevator there is plenty of surface there. I had mine doing loops about 4 feet off the ground, the first two times it went up.

I will say this these planes are not designed for crashing, so if you crash alot don't buy a boat plane. But you can put Bi directional tape around the Sponsons and the rear rudder and elevator section.

I will let you know in a day or so what it does on the water, I have been sick!
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:38 PM
I make ARFs out of RTFs..
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
Doc, I hope you are in good health. I am curious about your experience with the Hydro-Extreme. I just bought the kit. I will appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Atac
A.T.A.C. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.A.C.
Old Mar 28, 2006, 10:50 PM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Hi Doc and ATAC,

I just bought the kit as well. Any feedback would be great!

I really like the looks of the aircraft and the price is right!
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Old Apr 04, 2006, 12:06 PM
Milwaukie , Oregon
Joined Feb 2003
4,394 Posts
Okay sorry guys been out of flying and having fun with the family.
I does flys and it flys great. I did mine in monocote, came out nice.
If I had another I would cover the pontoons with Bi-Directional tape.
They don't take nose ends well!
I never even finished covering mine cause it is so fun to fly!
The A20-20L is a monster on this plane/Boat.
I run a 10 X 3.8 prop and it goes vert in one foot! I got plenty of pics but too big and I haven't finish loading all the new software on the new 4GB machine. Holy Cow way better than two 2.8's!
Old Apr 07, 2006, 07:56 PM
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
Doc, I am glad that you are enjoying it. I would like to hear more about your experience. Some pictures will be very much appreciated!

Float Flyer, it will be nice to share our experiences, but I don't know when I will get to this kit. Too many projects waiting in line . I am thinking of building a "draft" boat first by cutting pieces out of Blucore foam . I will have direct access to a 10 acre lake next year. This will be great project for that setting.

ATAC
Old Sep 07, 2006, 12:29 PM
Joined Jul 2003
142 Posts
1360Kv or higher?

1360 KV or higher, how much higher? How about the E-Flite Six-Series Brushless Motor 2000Kv? Is it too heavy? Too powerful?
rimshot is offline Find More Posts by rimshot
Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:27 PM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,718 Posts
whatever happened here? i was checking these out at the LHS, but can find no info on them anywhere!
flyinazn10 is offline Find More Posts by flyinazn10
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
Wexford, PA USA
Joined Jun 2004
641 Posts
I have not touched the kit yet. I bought two Storm Launchers that were on sale. I will convert one of them to brushless. I don't know when (and if) I will ever get to build the Hydro-Extreme.
ATAC
Old Nov 10, 2007, 10:43 AM
Joined Feb 2007
17 Posts
Looks like trash to me.

THIS is a build thread??!?

Very disappointing. No pix no details at all other than your AUW, the fact that you covered in monocote and the motor set-up you used.

Go check out the 4Q build.

I got one of these Hydro Extremes...Looks like a piece of garbage to me. At least compared to all of the other flying hydros out there...I have not built it yet (thats why I was looking for a build thread). It looks so weak that I am already making plans for the leftover pieces of CF and the electronics after the first few crashes since I do NOT expect this thing to survive very long.

Gary.
fly_boy_bc is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy_bc
Old Nov 10, 2007, 01:52 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Nov 2004
2,153 Posts
Sublimateable message/ Shameless plug......Get a Splash 3D
Ben-Rod is offline Find More Posts by Ben-Rod
Old Oct 07, 2009, 05:07 PM
oklahoma city, ok
Joined Nov 2003
9 Posts
lasercut hydro

I bought this kit today at my local hobby shop, got it home and found no instructions were included. I called the hobby shop and they told me they bought it from a hobby shop going out of business. Can anyone who has the instructions make a copy and email it to me at skybird17@juno.com. I would be very appreciative of this, thanks
skybird17 is offline Find More Posts by skybird17
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:45 PM
Joined Feb 2007
17 Posts
So I finally finished building this unmitigated POS. The instructions are awful. Whatever you do put your micro connectors on BEFORE installing elevons and rudders. DON'T use the crappy wooden control horns, make some out of plastic instead. Don't bother with their crappy stickers which don't stick at all and don't bother with the optional outboard rudders. More weight and trouble than they are worth.

You know, using the same carbon fiber sticks and BALSA instead of depron would have been JUST as light but twice as strong and It would have had a MUCH better looking surface finish.

Why use depron?

Suddenly I want to use the "stencil" left over after punching out all the depron parts to draw the pattern on balsa wood. I like my models to look really good and to last longer than five flights. Getting a decent finish on depron is nearly impossible without coating the entire model with lightweight plastic spackle. And even if you do completely coat your boat you will still probably sand down to depron without knowing until your paint goes on and you see the fuzzy spots where decals can not stick.

I am done with foam and going back to good ol' balsa.

Gary (Flyboy) Boyco.
fly_boy_bc is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy_bc