HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2014, 06:42 AM
Jealousy is a terrible thing
Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,277 Posts
Careful!
Immersion 4Ch RX and JR module

So thought I might let others know that there is clearly a problem with the current Immersion 4ch RX used in conjunctions with the JR module with the latest firmware loaded via the 1.4 update tool. I had hear some mumblings about issues with the JR module but could not imagine the issues could be any worse than open LRS but unfortunately I was proven wrong.

Now normally if I saw/had an issue with a bit of equipment I would usually put it down to user error if I could not easy find other people having issues but today was not that case. 2 separate setups both using brand new JR module with the 4ch RX in PPM put together by 2 separate people without any interaction with either the setup or firmware and both had the same issues. Both setups had working failsafe on both the RX and the FC's prior to the incidents that occurred and both had been updated to the latest firmware using the latest tool downloaded directly from ImmersionRC website prior to any of the equipment being used (the normal thing most people do is load the latest firmware etc onto new devices they plan on using when they get them).....

The first one being intermittent drop out and sometimes not receiving a input at all on power up, not that bigger issue when you are using mini frames. Something you can live with or put down to something else like a FC having and issue or a connection loose somewhere, at least all it is doing is crashing to the ground (if you can take off at all).

The second issue is the link dropping at close range (under 30m) and then the RX not going into failsafe and continuing to maintain its output prior to the failed link. No matter if the TX is turned to high output or turned off and on again the failsafe did not kick in the and the link could not be restored. This result in a couple of dangerous situations to say the least and has cause some considerable cost/damage for both parties.

When the RX is plugged in and checked after the incidents there is nothing wrong in the setup and the failsafe is working as per original setup. Checks also with the scanner only shows a 8dbi drop from when the RX is the only thing on vs everything on so clearly there is no issue with something making noise onboard, further to that the issues occurred in only meters away with no-one else using a UHF let alone a EZUHF at the time the incidents occurred and both were using different frequency bands.

After speaking with some other people afterwards it was noted by them that there is an issue with the current firmware and update tool and to make sure that you use an older version. I should of clicked when I first started setting up the RX and the units PPM output channels were all over the place (reset fixed this) and then further when the unit would not bind using the bind button (had to do it via the tool) but seeing this was the first time I had used this particular combo and the first time using the JR module I just put it down to the "mumblings" I had heard.......lessen learned again (been a long time) not to trust new gear that has any kind of issues even if it is well known and typically well trusted hardware. I am going to fire up another completely new RX and module to see if I can get the same issues to occur again (this time in a control space where "dangerous situations" can not occur) but the fact that the exact same issues happened in front of me to a second person on the same day with identical Immersion setups is pretty clear evidence to me that there is something wrong. The other party is a reliable builder and regularly builds & tunes frames for his customers and has had experience with the EZUHF equipment before, just not this particular combo or the new JR module (like myself).

So is anyone else having issues with their Immersion UHF units after updating and is there a recommended firmware we should be using if we are using ?
Redemptioner is offline Find More Posts by Redemptioner
to remove ads between posts